Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If Sano is that great
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:56 pm 

I keep reading about how good this kid is, Miguel Sano. Scouts calling him the best Dominican player in a decade, and that he could be a big time player in MLB, maybe a superstar.

It got me wondering, if he's that good, why is it just the Pirates and 3 or 4 other teams after him? You would think that the big teams would just come in and outbid everybody. Even if it's uncertain what he is, it would be worth it for the big teams to just take a flyer and grab him.

Post subject: Re: If Sano is that great
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:01 pm 

The current state of finances for more than a few MLB teams is that they are stretched pretty thin at the moment (see rangers, blue jays, rays, royals).

Many other teams are saving their extra budgeted dollars to pickup a player or two at the deadline to make a run (cardinals, cubs, white sox).

There are other small market teams that just do not think a large bonus like this is worth risking on a player that just turned 16 not that long ago (indians, a's, others).

The Pirates have increased their draft and prospect allotment a bit over the years, and can actually bid among the highest because they have so much more budgeted compared to many teams (we are among the top 10 I think). Simply put, we are willing to take a bigger risk now and save money later if it pans out. All those other teams are happy to use said money to buy some free agents instead.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:04 pm 

Pirates4real wrote:
I keep reading about how good this kid is, Miguel Sano. Scouts calling him the best Dominican player in a decade, and that he could be a big time player in MLB, maybe a superstar.

It got me wondering, if he's that good, why is it just the Pirates and 3 or 4 other teams after him? You would think that the big teams would just come in and outbid everybody. Even if it's uncertain what he is, it would be worth it for the big teams to just take a flyer and grab him.

$4M is a lot to pay for a "flyer."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:17 pm 

urbanexplorer wrote:
The current state of finances for more than a few MLB teams is that they are stretched pretty thin at the moment (see rangers, blue jays, rays, royals).

Many other teams are saving their extra budgeted dollars to pickup a player or two at the deadline to make a run (cardinals, cubs, white sox).

There are other small market teams that just do not think a large bonus like this is worth risking on a player that just turned 16 not that long ago (indians, a's, others).

The Pirates have increased their draft and prospect allotment a bit over the years, and can actually bid among the highest because they have so much more budgeted compared to many teams (we are among the top 10 I think). Simply put, we are willing to take a bigger risk now and save money later if it pans out. All those other teams are happy to use said money to buy some free agents instead.

Thanks for the info, it sort of makes sense although I still don't quite see why one of the giants (Yanks, Mets, Sox) wouldn't just put down the money anyway.

I mean hell they payed $50M just for the right to sign Dice K. The Yanks just dropped what, like $200M+ in one free agent season?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:42 pm 

I also think alot of bigger name teams save up to make trades and sign free agents. The Pirates have a better chance of getting good players through the draft and other places such as the Dominican.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:19 am 

According to Jorge Arangure at ESPN mag he says the Bucs are 90% certain to sign him and that MLB should finish their investigation this week. He's been really accurate about the international signings.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:27 am 

BostonBuc wrote:
According to Jorge Arangure at ESPN mag he says the Bucs are 90% certain to sign him and that MLB should finish their investigation this week. He's been really accurate about the international signings.

I think it is almost a must that we sign him.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:28 am 

Pirates4real wrote:
urbanexplorer wrote:

Thanks for the info, it sort of makes sense although I still don't quite see why one of the giants (Yanks, Mets, Sox) wouldn't just put down the money anyway.

I mean hell they payed $50M just for the right to sign Dice K. The Yanks just dropped what, like $200M+ in one free agent season?

It's possible. The Yanks had interest and the Orioles are also considering an offer. The Red Sox actually have spent a lot traditionally on these types of prospects but they are not seen in the Sano running. I'm not sure why specifically.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:29 am 

Colin21 wrote:
BostonBuc wrote:

I think it is almost a must that we sign him.

I know I will feel better as a fan knowing we achieved an objective.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:15 am 

I don't care if they overpay, just sign him. It's risk-reward... a high price to pay for such a young guy, but it sure beats Matt Morris for 10M or Burnitz or Randa for their price tags, et al.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:18 am 

Jack Round Tripper wrote:
I don't care if they overpay, just sign him. It's risk-reward... a high price to pay for such a young guy, but it sure beats Matt Morris for 10M or Burnitz or Randa for their price tags, et al.

I agree...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:42 am 

To spend 4 million on a 16 year old kid should slow down those who continually complain that the owners won't spend money. It truly is a lot for a kid who has years to go before being ML ready if he ever gets there.

But for the record, I agree we need to sign him.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:43 am 

So signing Pedro wasn't enough to satisfy those people who were complaining?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:47 am 

Jeremy wrote:

It was a step in the right direction but it doesn't complete the puzzle. This will also be another big step in the right direction.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:46 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

It was a step in the right direction but it doesn't complete the puzzle. This will also be another big step in the right direction.

I'd rather pay for talent that we are more sure of.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:47 am 

Jeremy wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

I'd rather pay for talent that we are more sure of.

Sure talent doesn't want to play for the Pirates. That is the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:38 am 

Quote:
Sure talent doesn't want to play for the Pirates. That is the problem.

In my perfect Gary Oldham voice from the movie "The Professional".... Bingo!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:43 am 

Pedro signed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:11 pm 

Jeremy wrote:

Jeremy, you should know better. Those people will complain no matter what. We could sign all 50 draft picks, get Sano, sign Bonds out of retirement, etc etc. and there would STILL be someone that these people would complain we didn't sign.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:14 pm 

BBF wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Jeremy, you should know better. Those people will complain no matter what. We could sign all 50 draft picks, get Sano, sign Bonds out of retirement, etc etc. and there would STILL be someone that these people would complain we didn't sign.

I understand that. I guess I'm just dissapointed with some of the baseball IQ here since I came back. Sano might be the next big thing, but these kids explode like trick cigars almost as often as they pan out. That might an acceptable risk for a team like the Yankees or Dodgers who can go out and sign anyone they want. But it represents a huge financial risk for a team like the Bucs who would almost be counting on this kid to be the SS of the future.