Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McCutchen Needs Some Work...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:08 pm 

You know, McCutchen made another one of "those throws" in the first. He has looked a little lackadaisical in the OF. He really works hard to go and chase down balls, but really does not seem to care so much of his throws back in. You cannot let a guy tag up and go to second so easily.

Post subject: Re: McCutchen Needs Some Work...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:25 pm 

Of course he needs some work. I don't think anyone was saying that he was a finished product when he got called up. But he had reached the point where it was going to be as productive to work with him in the majors as it was in AAA.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:35 pm 

He was 380' from home plate when he caught the ball. There was no way in hell that the runner on first does not tag and go to second.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:05 pm 

Bucfan-- never seen you screw up in a post. There are as you know 360 degrees in a circle so if he were 380 he would have more then spun around in a circle on the play. In truth he was 180 degrees from normal positioning.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:30 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
He was 380' from home plate when he caught the ball. There was no way in hell that the runner on first does not tag and go to second.

The 380' that he typed I believe is 380 feet, not degrees...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:49 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

The 380' that he typed I believe is 380 feet, not degrees...

What is he a millipede or something?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:36 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Of course he needs some work. I don't think anyone was saying that he was a finished product when he got called up. But he had reached the point where it was going to be as productive to work with him in the majors as it was in AAA.

Right. I am just pointing out that he seems to be a little weak in that area, and it something the Bucs need to address before it gets worse, before everybody starts taking liberties with his arm.

I disagree with Bucfan a little here. Yeah, it was a long way from home plate, but only half as long to second base. It just seems to me like he is not putting forth the effort on some of his throws.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:13 am 

Animal wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

Right. I am just pointing out that he seems to be a little weak in that area, and it something the Bucs need to address before it gets worse, before everybody starts taking liberties with his arm.

I disagree with Bucfan a little here. Yeah, it was a long way from home plate, but only half as long to second base. It just seems to me like he is not putting forth the effort on some of his throws.

Can you identify a center fielder, who NO.1, would have ran back and caught that ball, and 2nd, would have thrown a strike to nail the runner at second ?.

I can't think of one,off hand, maybe a healthy Beltran, but i am sure animoll will come up with some fictional character, just to attempt to prove me wrong.

Give the kid a break, and give the Phillies baserunner credit for having his head in the game (Utley, i think), , realizing the ball would be caught, and tagging up.

There are plenty of centerfielders who wouldn't have caught up to that ball, let alone throw a strike to 2nd , to nail the base runner.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:47 am 

Animal wrote:
You know, McCutchen made another one of "those throws" in the first. He has looked a little lackadaisical in the OF. He really works hard to go and chase down balls, but really does not seem to care so much of his throws back in. You cannot let a guy tag up and go to second so easily.

It must mean he's lazy. And in a gang that listens to rap music. Probably too busy thinking about some problems his bitch is givin him about that child support money for one of his illegitimate children. Get rid of him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:57 am 

palushock wrote:
Can you identify a center fielder, who NO.1, would have ran back and caught that ball, and 2nd, would have thrown a strike to nail the runner at second ?.

I can't think of one,off hand, maybe a healthy Beltran, but i am sure animoll will come up with some fictional character, just to attempt to prove me wrong.

Give the kid a break, and give the Phillies baserunner credit for having his head in the game (Utley, i think), , realizing the ball would be caught, and tagging up.

There are plenty of centerfielders who wouldn't have caught up to that ball, let alone throw a strike to 2nd , to nail the base runner.

Elijah Dukes is probably the only other guy I can think of that could make that play (let's not get started on this guy...nobody want him). I have seen that dude throw strikes to the catcher from the warning track.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:49 am 

omgardd wrote:
Animal wrote:

It must mean he's lazy. And in a gang that listens to rap music. Probably too busy thinking about some problems his bitch is givin him about that child support money for one of his illegitimate children. Get rid of him.

Okay, that's funny.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:00 pm 

Willton wrote:
omgardd wrote:
Animal wrote:

Okay, that's funny.

Not funny at all really. We already have one player like that in our organization, we certainly don't need another. If Milledge actually does play well enough to get promoted, and I am not sure that will happen, I hope they keep him as far away from McCutchen as they can.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:02 pm 

Animal wrote:
Willton wrote:
Okay, that's funny.

Not funny at all really. We already have one player like that in our organization, we certainly don't need another. If Milledge actually does play well enough to get promoted, and I am not sure that will happen, I hope they keep him as far away from McCutchen as they can.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever, Animal. Don't let your prejudices against Milledge get in the way of a good ribbing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:17 pm 

Willton wrote:
Animal wrote:
Willton wrote:
Okay, that's funny.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever, Animal. Don't let your prejudices against Milledge get in the way of a good ribbing.

I am always up for a good joke, but unfortunately I don't consider gang membership or criminal activity a joke. I am just funny that way! And in no way, shape, or form did I say Cutch was lazy or comparable to Milledge, just that I thought it was something the coaches need to work with him on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:24 pm 

Animal wrote:
Willton wrote:
Animal wrote:

I am always up for a good joke, but unfortunately I don't consider gang membership or criminal activity a joke. I am just funny that way!

Then you shouldn't have a problem with Milledge since there's no evidence that he is involved with either.

By the way, I thought that a letter writer to Smizik the other day brought up an interesting point. He drew a comparison between Milledge and Josh Hamilton. Smizik suggested that, "In comparison to Hamilton, Milledge has been a choir boy." I'm guessing that Animal wouldn't want Hamilton on his team either. After all, he "know(s) what these people are like. Leopards don't change their spots."

Or is there a different complexion on the Hamilton situation, Animal?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:28 pm 

Quote:
Then you shouldn't have a problem with Milledge since there's no evidence that he is involved with either.

By the way, I thought that a letter writer to Smizik the other day brought up an interesting point. He drew a comparison between Milledge and Josh Hamilton. Smizik suggested that, "In comparison to Hamilton, Milledge has been a choir boy." I'm guessing that Animal wouldn't want Hamilton on his team either. After all, he "know(s) what these people are like. Leopards don't change their spots."

Hamilton appears to have turned himself around so far. That is certainly not the norm. And while Hamilton clearly had some serious drug/alcohol issues, there was never any evidence that I am aware of regarding him having problems with teammates or management.

You know, Milledge was given many chances. Just this year, he chose to blow off two team meetings. That was just a few months ago. After he was given many chances.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:30 pm 

But Hamilton blew off whole organizations during his junkie days.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:45 pm 

burghermeister wrote:

Put your finger on the heart of the matter Burger. KEY WORD here is complexion which went over some people's heads

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:46 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
burghermeister wrote:

Put your finger on the heart of the matter Burger. KEY WORD here is complexion which went over some people's heads

No, I knew what he was implying, but I thought it was too ridiculous to even merit any comment.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:51 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
But Hamilton blew off whole organizations during his junkie days.

Did he?

I am unfamiliar with Hamilton a whole lot to be honest, other than an SI article I read last year, which indicated that he seems to have gotten his life in order. I would have no problem picking up a guy like that. I certainly don't mind second chances, when they are deserved and earned.

But to me, and again I hate to keep going over this because you all know how I feel but I keep getting called on it, to me, Milledge is not deserving of a shot yet. Play in the minors. Do well. Keep your nose clean, then I would not mind seeing him here.

The playing is the biggest thing. He really has not played all that well for an extended period of time for a while. He did have a decent, not great, but decent, second half last year. Until he proves he is better than what we have here, he deserves to stay in the minors.

But to be honest, I don't see that happening.