Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Freddy Sanchez
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:33 pm 

if he gets traded.. for me 1 thing is sure..

I'll miss him, i always liked steady freddy and he made more of his career then most expected..

so for me, i do not like to see freddy go.. amen

p.s. i am just so proud of my new girlfriend, who i met a year ago on a dance festival in holland, she lives in belarus
so i had a nice trip to minsk last week, and we sort of are together now..
and i think she is worth showing.. meet zhanna :)

cheerio

Attachments:
zhanna.jpg
zhanna.jpg [ 17.77 KiB | Viewed 626 times ]

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

Post subject: Re: Freddy Sanchez
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:10 am 

She's very pretty, NL! Is she Belarusian or Russian? She can be a Pirates ball girl anyday!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:36 am 

PirateFan from the Netherlands:

I am surprised that you would spend any time watching the Pirates when you could look at your girlfriend ...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:34 pm 

she is belorussian.. so bought my first russian dictionary and lesson books.. it's tough.. :s

and if the job as ball girl is good paid, we move to pittsburgh..!!

that would settle bucfans question as well.. i could enjoy both, well enjoy zhanna and watch pirates..

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:45 pm 

She cerainly is a 'keeper' as fisherman say. You have good taste in two things that I can see.

BTW, Freddy has been and will continue to be a special player and person in my mind's eye.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:53 pm 

If you ever met Geno Malkin, you have an "in". He likely doesn't talk to many people who speak Russian and if you and your lady start talking to him you could coerce a free beer, autograph, BMW, out of him. Do it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:34 am 

Hugo, Belorusian and Russian are of course different languages.

I've worked with many Eastern European folks in factories over the years.. the Slavic languages do have similarities.. the word for "good" in "good morning" seems to be do'bre in Belorusian, Russian, Ukainian, Serbian, etc. It's not spelled the same way in each language though. Other words are entirely different.

Belorusian:
добрай раніцы (Good morning)

Russian:
Доброе утро (Good morning) <-- I only know this one because Russian ska band has a song with this title. lol

The former Soviet republics were "russified" (the public was forced to speak Russian, accept Russian culture etc.) I've heard that today's young people speak their native tongues now in countries like Belorus, Ukrain, Baltic nations, etc. So my guess is that Belorusian is now spoken in Minsk. Lovely Zhanna no doubt speaks both Belorusian and Russian..

In the Philippines my wife had to use three languages everyday.. her native language at home, English in school, and the national language is broadcast on TV.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:14 pm 

Hey Ollie..

yeah.. i was told by her slowly belorussian language takes over in belarus, but really slow.. they still use russian as main language, but already with belorussian influences.. i already studying russian, and belorussian isnt yet available..

i am planning my 2nd trip in about 3 weeks and hope to get to know some more about the belorussian culture, the first time was only ;) holding hands and more... she has taken serious english lessons and yeah.. she sounds like Geno already.. :) maybe even better!!

Fun thing was about coming to Pittsburgh is that i already was exploring if there was a market for my kind of work..
as for Zhanna, i guess all pittsburgh would not mind her as bat-girl ;)

hugo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:00 pm 

P.S. PF from NL - I believe that you understood my rather cryptic comment in the manner in which it was intended - as a compliment to your girlfriend.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:32 am 

Bucfan wrote:
P.S. PF from NL - I believe that you understood my rather cryptic comment in the manner in which it was intended - as a compliment to your girlfriend.

haha.. i did bucfan.. and i believe you encrypted my comment as well ;) about enjoying zhanna and pirates..