Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chavez behind the plate
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:31 pm 

Was just reading over on Onlybucs that it was announced by the Pirates announcers during last night's game that Chavez will be getting more starts behind the plate than Ron Paul until Doumit gets healthy. Chavez looks very good defensively. I could be wrong on this, but I think he is 2-2 on catching opponent's stealing in his first couple of starts. Nor he or Paulino is going to hit much at all. I think Paulino has shown this year that he can come up with some clutch hits when he is platooning time with Doumit, however ever since Doumit went on the DL he has been pretty worthless as the starting catcher, not to mention the horrible outings by the pitchers this Reds series when he was behind the plate.

Just wondering opinions on this strategy by Russell.

Post subject: Re: Chavez behind the plate
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:48 pm 

Was discussing this very topic this morning with my coworkers.

Here's how it breaks down...Chavez is going to struggle to hit .200, and he is going to play above average defense. IF Paulino were going to hit well over .200, then I think Russell would be correct to use Chavez strictly as a backup. However, Ronny is also struggling to hit .200 and he gives you below average defense. Therefore, if Ronny isn't hitting, I think Chavez should get at least part time duty. I would personally like to see Chavez catch 2 of the 4 games this weekend.

I think everyone was hopeful that Paulino would hit better than he has, based on how well he did in a part time role with Doumit. That didn't work out. Hopefully, when Doumit comes back, Paulino can again start hitting in a part time role and potentially play himself into some trade value.

Hopefully this is all moot, as Doumit is taking BP already and will catch a bullpen session tonight...he may be back as soon as Tuesday.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:49 pm 

Pretty much agreed 100 %.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:29 pm 

At this point I hate when Joggin Ronny starts a game. I can handle it when he comes in late in a game to pinch hit or catch if we have the lead by a good margin or we are behind by a ton of runs.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:53 am 

bassoondirector wrote:
At this point I hate when Joggin Ronny starts a game. I can handle it when he comes in late in a game to pinch hit or catch if we have the lead by a good margin or we are behind by a ton of runs.

You know how Bucfan has adopted the approach that he simply ignores the game when it is not going well, and spends his time doing something productive? Go to the market, mow the lawn, pay the bills, go for a run?

Joggin' Ronny looks like he wants to do the same.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:32 am 

Image<<<<<Joggin' Ronny

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:06 am 

I'm not so sure I wouldn't send Ronny to Indy and keep Chavez as the back-up at least for a while. Does Paulino have options? Chavez seems to be in the Russell mold and he might help Doumit learn the trade a little bit. Coaches can teach it, but players apply it, and Chavez would do that.

I'm just saying that if you can reason that Chavez should start over Paulino now, the same argument can be extended to who should stay.

I won't get into the "message" it might send to Paulino, but those bus rides do give one time to reflect.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:05 pm 

bradf wrote:
I'm not so sure I wouldn't send Ronny to Indy and keep Chavez as the back-up at least for a while. Does Paulino have options? Chavez seems to be in the Russell mold and he might help Doumit learn the trade a little bit.

Ronnie 2006-2007, even with defensive problems, belongs on the Pirates the way he mauled left-handers. Once or twice per week he could play, give Doumit a day off, and mash lefties.

Ronnie 2008 is Chavez without the defense. No power, no average, limited offensive production, poor defense. At this rate, it might indeed be a good idea to keep Chavez around as the backup. He plays the Sunday game with the "B" squad. His offense is awful, but at least he can catch the ball and keep baserunners honest.