Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rudy Owens
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:16 am 

Can I share Rudy Owens with AZ bucco fan? He pitched another 5 shutout innings today. That brings him to 31 innings in a row. ERA since June 1st probably well under 1.00 now. Overall ERA is 1.74, 10-1 record. Pretty good season so far. It looks like they are not going to move him up no matter how well he does.

Post subject: Re: Rudy Owens
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:00 am 

AZpirateguy wrote:
Can I share Rudy Owens with AZ bucco fan?

Hey, hey, hey. Lots of Pirates youngsters need a home. How about a young prospect in AAA who is throwing lights out? Sell or Spell, something like that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:22 am 

Owens has been lights out. I really dont see what else he has to prove with the Power. Mgt has a plan, and I believe they know what they are doing with him. It is encouraging to see him, along with Lincoln, Snell and Gorzo, doing such a good job now. Only improves the depth and makes the future look a little brighter for the Buc's.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:54 am 

bigdawg6954 wrote:
Owens has been lights out. I really dont see what else he has to prove with the Power. Mgt has a plan, and I believe they know what they are doing with him. It is encouraging to see him, along with Lincoln, Snell and Gorzo, doing such a good job now. Only improves the depth and makes the future look a little brighter for the Buc's.

Don't buy into Snell. He has always been a good minor leaguer. It is a different world once you get to the majors.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:56 am 

Sure we can share. I will be in and out of town for the next 2 weeks. You can hold down the fort. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:34 pm 

This is a time where managment needs to move the talent and players who perform up. Give the kid a chance move him up to A.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:08 pm 

bigdawg6954 wrote:

Agreed, his K/9, BB/9, WHIP, and HR rate are all solid. Of course, the stats don't tell everything. He might have a devastating breaking pitch that those kids can't hit, and he is refusing to throw anything else, while the Pirates won't move him up until he can get guys out with a fastball (hypothetical, it could be anything, of course). But yes, it seems he is absolutely dominating, and if I were dominating, I'm not sure I would want to try anything new either.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:44 pm 

For another perspective on Owens (and Robbie Grossman, Tony Sanchez, Starling Marte, and Calvin Anderson), see http://www.bucsdugout.com/. I know absolutely nothing about the writer, so consider his comments for what they're worth. But he did sit through a West Virginia Power doubleheader on Sunday.

Not inclined to check out what he wrote? Here it is in a nutshell:

Owens: excellent command of a killer curveball, but his fastball appears below average.

Grossman: good plate discipline; alarmingly slow foot speed.

Sanchez: handled the pitcher well and appeared comfortable behind the plate except on one wild pitch and on a throw to 2B that ended up in the outfield

Marte: elite speed but poor plate discipline.

Anderson: awesome power but has trouble with breaking pitches.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:19 am 

Good input here. I heard recently that they are limiting his innings and trying to let him experience a full season in one place. (something I am sure he would tell them not to worry about if he had any say in the matter) The reason they are limiting his innings is that he did not pitch a full season at State College last year and they have a rule of only increasing a pitchers inning by 20%. A mark which he has already past. That is why if they have a big lead, they pull him even if he is not at his pitch count. Could also be why he is staying in WV, if they move him up they may need him to pitch deeper in games which Pittsburgh doesn't want him doing.

It's all maybe's, we will see.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:50 am 

Baseball america on Rudy Owens

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=5424

pretty good article

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:42 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Anderson: awesome power but has trouble with breaking pitches.

Sounds like Someone else I watched playing Baseball as a kid...

Attachment:
pdvd_004bmp-724091.jpg
pdvd_004bmp-724091.jpg [ 100.02 KiB | Viewed 298 times ]

After his baseball career he became President of the United States...

Attachment:
david_palmer.jpg
david_palmer.jpg [ 26.69 KiB | Viewed 298 times ]

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:42 pm 

And now he does commercials for All-State. They typical career of a former big-leaguer. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:43 pm 

Willton wrote:
And now he does commercials for All-State. They typical career of a former big-leaguer. :)

atleast it wasnt Depends!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:55 pm 

nad, I am racking my brain.. any idea who that Tribe player is in the photo or did you pick that at random? Is he Reggie Jefferson?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:03 pm 

Ollie wrote:
nad, I am racking my brain.. any idea who that Tribe player is in the photo or did you pick that at random? Is he Reggie Jefferson?

Ollie, that was Cerrano from the movie Major League, played by Dennis Haysbert, who was President Palmer on the Fox tv show 24, and who does All State Commercials and is a star on the tv show The Unit...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:07 pm 

Ha!! I am so dumb! I forgot about that movie. I've never watched it

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:28 pm 

Ollie, do yourself a favor and rent the DVD (or check your local Walmart/Borders/etc in their bargain bin to purchase). It will be worth it. Classic baseball film, top 2 or 3 for me easy. Some of the best quotes from this movie. "Up your butt, Jobu!"

I guess they just celebrated the 20th anniversary of this film in Cleveland recently. They were playing the Brewers, so they had Bob Uecker throw out the first pitch. He was priceless as the Tribe's play by play guy in the movie.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:09 pm 

"I say f*** you, Jobu! I do it myself."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:18 pm 

"Where did you play last year?"
"California Penal League"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:53 pm 

Chris Anderson wrote:
Ollie, do yourself a favor and rent the DVD (or check your local Walmart/Borders/etc in their bargain bin to purchase). It will be worth it. Classic baseball film, top 2 or 3 for me easy. Some of the best quotes from this movie. "Up your butt, Jobu!"

I guess they just celebrated the 20th anniversary of this film in Cleveland recently. They were playing the Brewers, so they had Bob Uecker throw out the first pitch. He was priceless as the Tribe's play by play guy in the movie.

Of course...unless you read the credits...or know your 1990s stadia well...most people don't realize...the movie was NOT filmed in Cleveland. The home stadium for the Indians in the movie "Major League" was actually County Stadium in Milwaukee. Easiest proof...radio station sign on the scoreboard...WTMJ...is actually the Brewers flagship station. Not to mention Uecker as the announcer, Harry Doyle, and former Brewer (and native of Johnstown) and Cy Young award winner, Pete Vuckovich as Yankees 1B Clu Haywood.

And Vuckovich had some power during his younger days...in high school and AAABA ball...so he wasn't completely out of character. I remember hearing stories...99% sure they were true...of a home run he hit in Johnstown. Current site of Greater Johnstown High School used to be Cochran Junior High...and there was a regulation size ballfield at the school (AAABA used to play tournament games there). He was said to have hit a HR that cleared the fence...a 2 lane driveway...and went on the roof of the 3 story school.