It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just to anger everyone even more
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:14 pm 

Pitchers were could have had in the 2006 draft:

Clayton Kershaw
Andrew Miller
Tim Lincecum

But we have the four stooges instead...and that doesn't include Bullington and Van B.

Wow, I really hope NH and FC can turn this thing around.

Post subject: Re: Just to anger everyone even more
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:19 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:40 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Pitchers were could have had in the 2006 draft:

Clayton Kershaw
Andrew Miller
Tim Lincecum

But we have the four stooges instead...and that doesn't include Bullington and Van B.

Wow, I really hope NH and FC can turn this thing around.

Pirates took Brad Lincoln, who was a highly-rated prospect.

Lincecum was a very hard thrower in college. He was legendary for his K totals at Washington but he is a smallish guy who was listed as an injury risk. (The same analysis applies to Lincoln.) In keeping with the franchise's run of luck, Lincoln blows out his arm very soon (in terms of innings) after his selection, and Lincecum is dominating with the Giants.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:46 am 

I was not even considering the starting rotation (except for the 5th spot) as a problem with this year's team. Instead, as always, I was concerned about the offense.

It has been THE problem. The offense, for the most part, except for Bautista and LaRoche (early on), have done a good job. The Bullpen, overall, is very respectable.

So, what happens is we seem to have found a decent solution to the 5th starter with Phil Dumatrait. Mr. Snell, Mr. Gorzelanny, have been huge disappointments. Mr. Duke and Mr. Maholm have been "ok".

Jeff Andrews and his boys better work out the kinks real soon. A very successful and very competitive season awaits the Pirates. But that appears to be resting on the shoulders of Snell and Company. They will determine how good this Pirate team can and will be in 2008.

The scary part of this entire scenario is, according to what I see, Brad Lincoln is the only real starting pitching prospect in the system at this time.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:15 pm 

It appears to me that we have no No.1 or No.2 on our staff. It could be argued that we don't even have a three, but I think that's a little harsh.

What happened to the young guys with all the promise we had two years ago? Once they get some experience we would be ready for some payback. It doesn't compute that all of them would turn out so far below expectations. Is it coaching? Effert? Ability? Help me understand the fact that our strength has become our weakness.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:50 pm 

Do people still get "angry" over what Littlefield has done? I've given up being angry and just come to accept that he is/was an idiot.

Its kinda like the kid with Downs Syndrome bagging groceries at the local Giant Eagle...yeah, it sucks he just threw a watermelon on top of your eggs and bread, but really, he just didn't know any better. Its no use being angry.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:09 pm 

Gorzellany and Snell are the two main guys who are letting us down, because they are supposed to be 1 and 2 but are pitching like 4 and 5.

I don't know if their problems are in their arms or between their ears, but they sure as hell aren't pitching like they did last year.

If they can't regain their form it's going to set the team back by a couple of YEARS, because we basically have no good starters right now.

Dumatrait is our "ace" right now.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:39 pm 
 WWW  Profile

BBF wrote:
Its kinda like the kid with Downs Syndrome bagging groceries at the local Giant Eagle...yeah, it sucks he just threw a watermelon on top of your eggs and bread, but really, he just didn't know any better. Its no use being angry.

Damn, that was hilarious!

Iowa State Cyclones (1-3) at #21 Oklahoma State Cowboys (3-1)
Boone Pickens Stadium
October 4, 2014
11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:01 pm 

Lincecum and Miller were ranked #1 and #2 a lot leading up to the draft... quite a few teams got that wrong, it seems.