Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interview with Varsho
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:55 pm 

Boy was that impressive. I would have liked to play for him. He had my juices flowing with his conversation about game prep, defensive alienment, base running, and the fact that we are getting better and expect to continue to improve as we play the game the right way.

He's a keeper!!

Post subject: Re: Interview with Varsho
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:54 am 

I found the conversation to be totally annoying and changed the channel. When the game is being played, I want the conversation to be about the action on the field. Those kinds of conversations can be done in pre and post-game shows.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:22 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

That was one of the more amazing interviews I've heard in a long time. Varsho was brutally honest about the differances between "playing baseball right", "playing MLB-caliber baseball", and "playing championship-caliber baseball" in regard to baserunning and situational thinking.

I was impressed that he could be positive about it (we've come a long way) while still keeping the heat on (we're no where close to being championship-caliber situational players).

He's impressive. I understand now, why Leyland loved him on the bench.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:40 pm 

I thought it also showed, without him coming right out and saying it, how little he thought of the past administration in Pittsburgh. Saying basically that this team had a long way to go as far as being "baseball smart". One of the most interesting comments was when he said to watch Jason Michaels because he did things right because of his training in Cleveland.

Having said that I still think it's a shame that guys get to the major leagues without knowing situations and how to do things the right way. It didn't used to be that way!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:48 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:

Having said that I still think it's a shame that guys get to the major leagues without knowing situations and how to do things the right way. It didn't used to be that way!

Well when you have a team full of uber-stars like the Pirates, you don't want to keep them in the minors too long just to teach them the little things. Er...um... :oops: