Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Draft Q&A
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:33 pm 

For those who missed it in the PG (I did the first time), DK has a Q&A with Coonely and Huntington about the upcoming draft. Definitely worth a read. So far, they are saying the right things. The only answer I disagree with is their discussion of the risk of taking a pitcher...I sincerely hope they don't do that with the #2 pick.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08147/884885-63.stm

Post subject: Re: Draft Q&A
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:25 pm 

Interesting piece. If they project Alvarez as a 3B and take him what does that do with Bautista and Walker. Scouts think Alvarez could be in the majors as early as next season. Or do you make an outfielder out of him?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:37 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I trust that they'll take whoever is best. Like Huntington said in the piece, the Indians were absolutely loaded with SS prospects in their system. Only one made it to the majors. You just never know who will fizzle and who you will strike gold with.

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:06 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Interesting piece. If they project Alvarez as a 3B and take him what does that do with Bautista and Walker. Scouts think Alvarez could be in the majors as early as next season. Or do you make an outfielder out of him?

It's a bit worrying that Boras wants the third baseman's MLB service clock starting straight away. What if Alvarez struggles at Altoona/Indy this year? The Bucs could have a situation where they are paying big money for a guy to play at Lynchburgh in 2009.

On the other hand he could be the next Ryan Zimmerman and contribute in his first professional year.

I'd rather they draft a high school player and take a chance that Walker will be OK through the two or three rebuild seasons that the Bucs need.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:19 pm 

We can't start questioning the theory that we need to take the best player available. We can't start playing the if come game-- we've seen how poorly that works. If Alverez is the best, take him. Other players will find their way around him if he's that good. And if he's good enough to play next year, that is a good thing folks.

Like others, I don't want the risk of another pitcher. Too many bad arms and nothing.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:31 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

Bautista will be fine as a utility guy. Walker has yet to show that he belongs in AAA, let alone the majors. Assuming that both Alvarez and Walker show that they deserve spots soon, LaRoche becomes very expendable. Anyone who can handle third can certainly handle first.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:33 pm 

RDV across the sea wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

It's a bit worrying that Boras wants the third baseman's MLB service clock starting straight away. What if Alvarez struggles at Altoona/Indy this year? The Bucs could have a situation where they are paying big money for a guy to play at Lynchburgh in 2009.

On the other hand he could be the next Ryan Zimmerman and contribute in his first professional year.

I'd rather they draft a high school player and take a chance that Walker will be OK through the two or three rebuild seasons that the Bucs need.

What Boras wants isn't as important as what Boras can get. If the Pirates draft him, but can't sign him, then the get the third pick next year. Meanwhile, Alvarez loses one year of an astronomical salary.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:46 pm 

To prove to Pirate fans and to themselves, the front office need to take the best player, college or high school...If Alvarez is ready next year so be it, I'm sure Walker is athletic enough to move somewhere else, and the talk I've heard is Alvarez might be a 1st baseman...
If he's ready, move LaRoche...but lets draft the best player 1st and worry about where he is going to play in the majors, when he shows he's ready to be in the majors...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Draft Q&Atrading
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:43 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
worry about where he is going to play in the majors, when he shows he's ready to be in the majors...

That's my concern. If a player's six year clock starts on draft day, it could be that he's arbitration eligible and ready for trading before he's really established himself in the big leagues.

If he's the best player in the draft and the Rays pass him up, that to me shows they have doubts about either his long term prospects or his contractual difficulties.

I hope the Bucs take a top high school positional player (Beckham?) who projects as a 4/5 year prospect like McCutchen and Walker were.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:06 pm 

I want Alvarez. You get the best talent available and then once they prove they are worthy and all that, you find a spot for him.

That being said, I have started to hear that the Devil Rays may actually take Alvarez with the first pick, and if that is the case, I say we definitely draft Beckham.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:55 pm 

RDV across the sea wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
worry about where he is going to play in the majors, when he shows he's ready to be in the majors...

That's my concern. If a player's six year clock starts on draft day, it could be that he's arbitration eligible and ready for trading before he's really established himself in the big leagues.

If he's the best player in the draft and the Rays pass him up, that to me shows they have doubts about either his long term prospects or his contractual difficulties.

I hope the Bucs take a top high school positional player (Beckham?) who projects as a 4/5 year prospect like McCutchen and Walker were.

My understanding is that a player's six year clock does not start until they are playing in the big leagues, regardless of contract.

By demanding a major league contract, Boras is demanding that the draftee is immediately added to the 40 man and starts burning options, meaning they can only be in the minors for a maximum of 3 (?) years. With someone like Weiters or Alvarez, that probably isn't an issue, barring injury (and even then, if a player misses an entire year due to injury, a club can petition MLB for an extra option).

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:26 am 

I believe the Pirates have that extension for the MLB Headquarters on Speed Dial with all of the pitching arm problems in the past 10 years

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:46 pm 

BBF wrote:

My understanding is that a player's six year clock does not start until they are playing in the big leagues, regardless of contract.

By demanding a major league contract, Boras is demanding that the draftee is immediately added to the 40 man and starts burning options, meaning they can only be in the minors for a maximum of 3 (?) years. With someone like Weiters or Alvarez, that probably isn't an issue, barring injury (and even then, if a player misses an entire year due to injury, a club can petition MLB for an extra option).

Thanks for the explanation. I'm still not keen on somebody outside the organisation potentially dictating roster moves for the Bucs young players, but the reality is not as bad as my initial interpretation.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:30 pm 

Not to go off topic in this thread, but related to the 2007 draft - Moskos was pounded his last start, while Wieters continues to kill the ball.

Code:
Team League AVG G AB  R  H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG  OPS
FRED  CAR .346 46 156 35 54 6 0  12 32 96 25 30  1  1 .435 .615 1.051