Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: McLouth Traded to Atlanta!!!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:46 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
I had to bump this post...

How is this trade looking now?

Surprising, since I did not say something really stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:30 pm 

This may go down as one of the best trades in Pirate history, despite including Gorkys Hernandez. It brought us Morton and Locke, plus started the Andrew McCutchen era!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:31 pm 

Animal wrote:
This may go down as one of the best trades in Pirate history, despite including Gorkys Hernandez. It brought us Morton and Locke, plus started the Andrew McCutchen era!

Hernandez helped land Gaby Sanchez.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:59 pm 

Definitely a solid trade. You're going to win trades and you're going to lose trades. The other GM isn't handing you a player/prospect you value for (what he perceives as) nothing.

So you'll win some, and you'll lose some, the key is to not be repeatedly on the losing end. This regime has done a pretty nice job of more or less winning half and losing half when it comes to trades. Can't realistically expect more than that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:00 pm 

Quite a feat, dredging up a 4 year old post. Gotta be a record.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:06 pm 

One of Huntington's best, no doubt. I still can't say I will ever understand McLouth's extreme rapid regression (though obviously he's back up average-ish now in Baltimore).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:40 pm 

If you have a couple minutes, read the entire thread. The cast of characters is amusing. You had the morons from CIA and the morons from UPPMB all in agreement. (No bucfan, you are not one of the morons). :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:51 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
If you have a couple minutes, read the entire thread. The cast of characters is amusing. You had the morons from CIA and the morons from UPPMB all in agreement. (No bucfan, you are not one of the morons). :lol:

I'm about eight pages in and... wow. Good stuff.

Like VanSlick said, where are those "real fans" now? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:28 pm 

I dredged up some noteworthy comments (kudos to Sisyphus and Willton for having a very good take on the quality of the major and minor league rosters for the 2009 Pirates). Any way, here are some highlights:

omgardd wrote:
I am not interested in waiting til 2013 to be excited about Pirate baseball again.

Hmmm. Well, those of us who did, are. :D

Willton wrote:
If you thought that this team could successfully rebuild in 2 years time, then you clearly did not realize the gravity of the situation in which Littlefield and his cronies left the Pirates organization. This is going to be a long process, and it is optimistic to think that this team will be able to contend in 2011. But that's typically how long rebuilding plans go. As they say, Rome was not built in a day.

Kudos for accurately assessing the roster and having a good idea about the timeline.

Rod Serling wrote:
...what they're saying on MLB.com...
"MLB needs to step in and force Nutting to sell, this is now beyond a joke..."
"Last year Bay and Nady, this year McLouth, it's obvious this ownership group has no interest in anything other than pocketing money. It's time for baseball to step in and force the sale to an ownership group interested in operating a BASEBALL franchise..."

And folks, that's just the tiny-est tip of the iceberg.

You see, 99.9 percent of the baseball fans in America, not named Wilton, realize the truth.

No, actually, Willton and (thankfully) Neil Huntington knew the truth, knew what was needed, and did what had to be done.

Now? Best record in majors, top-3 farm system, dominant young players on the team or set to join the team shortly.

omgardd and his ilk would have kept McClouth, would have signed stop-gap players, would have wound up winning 75 games per year, and would have doomed the franchise for another 6 years.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:39 pm 

I was surprisingly reasonable in this thread, given that I was a big fan of Nate's.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:13 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
I was surprisingly reasonable in this thread, given that I was a big fan of Nate's.

Surprising indeed. I don't believe you took a position on this trade; you merely broke the news.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:14 pm 

Oh, and that Rod Serling guy was a tool and a moron.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:34 pm 

Willton wrote:
Oh, and that Rod Serling guy was a tool and a moron.

Among other things. :D

Bucfan wrote:
I dredged up some noteworthy comments...

The first 2-3 pages are Gold, Jerry. Gold!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:20 pm 

Yeah, this is all quaint and fun, but let's also look at some of the posts on this trade during Charlie Morton's "stellar" 2010 season! It took a long time for this one to work out, but it did.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:29 pm 

Corsair wrote:
Yeah, this is all quaint and fun, but let's also look at some of the posts on this trade during Charlie Morton's "stellar" 2010 season! It took a long time for this one to work out, but it did.

Considering McLouth put up a .620 OPS in 2010 and had been replaced by our best prospect and having other valuable prospects from the trade in the system (like our current best SP of course), it wouldn't have been much of an argument that it was a bad trade despite Morton's awful season.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:35 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Disappointed to see McLouth get deal, because (1) he is a talented hitter with high OBP, power, and hits left-handed, (2) he is a very good base runner - not just a great base stealer but a damn good base runner - and (3) he has been a very solid player for the Pirates for 2+ seasons.

I hope the players received in exchange pan out ... Pirates are stockpiling quality starting pitching (Maholm, Duke, Ohlendorf, D. McCutchen, Lincoln, Morton, Miller). The common trait among all the new pitchers is that they throw strikes and throw hard.

I will miss Nate.

Funny thing...of this quality starting pitching they were stockpiling, only Morton remains 4 years later!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:43 am 

Animal wrote:
Funny thing...of this quality starting pitching they were stockpiling, only Morton remains 4 years later!

That's why a team needs to stockpile a boatload of talent. Injuries, injuries, injuries and injuries simply eat through pitching.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:26 am 

Well, they also weren't "stockpiling" the veteran guys listed. Duke, Maholm and Ohlendorf surely were not thought of as being assets in the future when the Pirates fielded a competitive team (in fairness to Maholm, he certainly could have been and I disagreed with the decision not to re-sign him). Duke was already a lost cause at that point and Ohlendorf was having an outlier of an otherwise awful career.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:08 am 

I read back through the thread, and, you know, I think that I really disliked that Rod Serling. A lot. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:11 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Well, they also weren't "stockpiling" the veteran guys listed. Duke, Maholm and Ohlendorf surely were not thought of as being assets in the future when the Pirates fielded a competitive team (in fairness to Maholm, he certainly could have been and I disagreed with the decision not to re-sign him). Duke was already a lost cause at that point and Ohlendorf was having an outlier of an otherwise awful career.

I have to disagree. Duke, Maholm, and Ohlendorf were all 26-27 years old...with decent seasons. Duke won 11 games, Maholm 9, and Ohlendorf 11. Their ERAs were respectable. They had all been good in the minors. I think the Bucs thought at least a couple of these guys would be cornerstones for the future staff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12