Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: McLouth Traded to Atlanta!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:29 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6280
I liked Nate but the bottom line IMHO was the need to make room for McCutcheon and at the same time make a deal that would be beneficial to the rebuilding of the team. You are not going to get that deal for Morgan. He continues to play this well you may get a better deal next summer for Morgan. We have a backlog of outfielders. IF there is one area that we have a surplus of players it is outfield and the depth that we have makes it possible to make this type of deal.

That said, I will miss McLouth too as much for his perseverance in making the show as for his all around ability. He is a good player who makes a nice complimentary piece for a team ready to contend which we are not at this point.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth Traded to Atlanta!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:33 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 10:01 pm
Posts: 17
Well, I Don't know how you want us not to be nay sayers but for cryin out loud when is it going to stop. Once again Nady, Marte, Bay, Now McLouth. Gee, now to me thats an outfield. Oh bythe way. an outfield no longer in PNC. Prospect this year, Prospect last year oh might as well go with 4 or even 5 prospects next year too. We just might have a chance to make it to the Little league world series. Keep going Huntington Maybe you can really tear the team to peices, cause your doing a fine job. Sad to see you go Nate.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth Traded to Atlanta!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:35 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7275
leyland12 wrote:
Well, I Don't know how you want us not to be nay sayers but for cryin out loud when is it going to stop. Once again Nady, Marte, Bay, Now McLouth. Gee, now to me thats an outfield. Oh bythe way. an outfield no longer in PNC. Prospect this year, Prospect last year oh might as well go with 4 or even 5 prospects next year too. We just might have a chance to make it to the Little league world series. Keep going Huntington Maybe you can really tear the team to peices, cause your doing a fine job. Sad to see you go Nate.


Theres a good chance if Littlefield were still incharge McLouth would have been released or still being used off the bench as the 4th or 5th OFer...Nate owes his rise to Neal and Frank...

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth Traded to Atlanta!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:46 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4235
Location: Zelienople, PA
leyland12 wrote:
Well, I Don't know how you want us not to be nay sayers but for cryin out loud when is it going to stop. Once again Nady, Marte, Bay, Now McLouth. Gee, now to me thats an outfield...


That OF? On DL for the year. Hitting below .250. Bad knees and out of here for multimillions next year.

Yep. That IS an OF.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth Traded to Atlanta!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:03 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:41 pm
Posts: 843
My initial reaction was disgust, like everyone else. After taking a deep breath and relooking at Nate's numbers, I'm ok with the spirit of the trade.

I disagree with the folks that say that Nate absolutely would not have been part of a contending team. Some guys do hit their peaks in their very late 20s/early 30s, and Nate may be one of those. If the team is contending in 2012 or 2013, Nate would have been 30/31 and could still be having great years.

That said, it's very difficult to judge the probability that he is one of that type, and management is gambling that he is not. In the end, I think it's a very reasonable gamble. We'll see how it pans out.

For those who think that a Gold Glove automatically means great defensive play, Baseball Prospectus has rated Nate a below average CFer for his entire career, and they pay a lot more attention to the actual traits that go into good defensive play (range, speed, initial reaction, throwing ability) than the Gold Glove voters do. The voters simply vote for the most recognizable names and call it a day because they are lazy; for God's sake, they gave the nod to Palmeiro one year when he had played 70 games at first base. They get it right sometimes, but that's only because the most recognizable player is actually a good defensive player in those cases.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth Traded to Atlanta!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:02 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:10 pm
Posts: 384
sisyphus wrote:
Rod Serling wrote:
Oh yeah, to make room,

CRAIG HANSEN was removed from the 40 man roster... :lol:

Because he went on the 60 day disabled list. Players who are on the 60 day disabled list are not counted towards the 60 man roster. You ought to at least get your facts straight so that your bitches and moans make some semblance of sense, dipshit.[/quote]


Hansen has done nothing, and you and others were on here singing his praises.

This is another salary dump. Period.

You need to slowly back away from your shrine to Bob Nutting, and stop the Nutting worship right here, right now.

He's done nothing but lose baseball games and steal your money, fool.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth Traded to Atlanta!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
Before we get further into this topic i want to go back and thank J_C_Steel for breaking this news. He broke it before ESPN, Yahoo, MLB.com, or either the Pirates and Braves sites. I heard it first from J_C_Steel. At first i thought it was fake because i searched everywhere for it and couldn't find it.
So great job and good work to J_C_Steel!

_________________
I break more news than CIA posters break wind!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth Traded to Atlanta!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5096
Location: Washington, DC
Colin21 wrote:
Before we get further into this topic i want to go back and thank J_C_Steel for breaking this news. He broke it before ESPN, Yahoo, MLB.com, or either the Pirates and Braves sites. I heard it first from J_C_Steel. At first i thought it was fake because i searched everywhere for it and couldn't find it.
So great job and good work to J_C_Steel!


Hey, thanks. I just happened across the Post-Gazette site as it happened. I couldn't believe it either.

_________________
Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth Traded to Atlanta!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
Just a Braves side not. McLouth will start tonight for Atlanta, and the Braves also called up Pitcher Tommy Hanson to start Saturday against the Brewers.

_________________
I break more news than CIA posters break wind!


Last edited by Colin21 on Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth Traded to Atlanta!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
They are about to review the trade on ESPNEWS after the commercial.

_________________
I break more news than CIA posters break wind!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth Traded to Atlanta!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7275
Colin21 wrote:
Just a Braves side not. McLouth will start Thursday for Atlanta, and the Braves also called up Pitcher Tommy Hanson to start Saturday against the Brewers.


Glavine got released for Hanson...

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth Traded to Atlanta!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
Colin21 wrote:
They are about to review the trade on ESPNEWS after the commercial.


Guy Junker likes the deal. He says this isn't a "salary dump" like with Aramis Ramirez.
He also went on to day that this is what the Braves offered the Padres for Jake Peavy, and the Padres were going to take it.
I gained some respect for Guy Junker. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about. He was the first person i heard say that about this being the package the Braves put together for Peavy.

_________________
I break more news than CIA posters break wind!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth Traded to Atlanta!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:11 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:29 pm
Posts: 34
Colin21 wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
They are about to review the trade on ESPNEWS after the commercial.


Guy Junker likes the deal. He says this isn't a "salary dump" like with Aramis Ramirez.
He also went on to day that this is what the Braves offered the Padres for Jake Peavy, and the Padres were going to take it.
I gained some respect for Guy Junker. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about. He was the first person i heard say that about this being the package the Braves put together for Peavy.


Rocco Demaro mentioned it last night. You can download his McLouth Trade Special show from last night on WPGB's website. Really good. Today's show was excellent as well.

_________________
From Philly to Pittsburgh


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth Traded to Atlanta!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:46 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:10 pm
Posts: 384
Colin21 wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
They are about to review the trade on ESPNEWS after the commercial.


Guy Junker likes the deal. He says this isn't a "salary dump" like with Aramis Ramirez.
He also went on to day that this is what the Braves offered the Padres for Jake Peavy, and the Padres were going to take it.
I gained some respect for Guy Junker. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about. He was the first person i heard say that about this being the package the Braves put together for Peavy.


No, they were not.

Because they did not.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth Traded to Atlanta!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5419
Location: Pittsburgh
Rod Serling wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Rod Serling wrote:
Oh yeah, to make room,

CRAIG HANSEN was removed from the 40 man roster... :lol:

Because he went on the 60 day disabled list. Players who are on the 60 day disabled list are not counted towards the 60 man roster. You ought to at least get your facts straight so that your bitches and moans make some semblance of sense, dipshit.[/quote]


Hansen has done nothing, and you and others were on here singing his praises.

Feel free to point out the post where I sang the praises of Hansen. Of the four guys the Pirates got for Bay, he was number four. As Wilton said, Hansen was a lottery pick.

Quote:
This is another salary dump. Period.

Sure, that's why the gave McLouth a $1.5 million signing bonus. Because they were going to dump his salary.

Quote:
You need to slowly back away from your shrine to Bob Nutting, and stop the Nutting worship right here, right now.

I'm really sorry that Nutting's dog shit on your lawn, or whatever it was that has led you to make such a complete ass of yourself here, but the fact is that since he took over just about every move the Bucs have made has given me more and more hope that they'll be contending regularly in the near future.

Quote:
He's done nothing but lose baseball games and steal your money, fool.

Well now, to steal my money I'd have to have been stupid enough to actually believe that the Pirates had a chance to contend last year or this year. I'm not that stupid. I go to baseball games because I like to watch baseball games, not because seeing my team win compensates for having a small penis, or whatever it is that motivates you.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth Traded to Atlanta!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5419
Location: Pittsburgh
Rod Serling wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
They are about to review the trade on ESPNEWS after the commercial.


Guy Junker likes the deal. He says this isn't a "salary dump" like with Aramis Ramirez.
He also went on to day that this is what the Braves offered the Padres for Jake Peavy, and the Padres were going to take it.
I gained some respect for Guy Junker. He sounded like he knew what he was talking about. He was the first person i heard say that about this being the package the Braves put together for Peavy.


No, they were not.

Because they did not.

Because Peavy has a no trade clause.

And Rod Serling continues to bury himself.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth Traded to Atlanta!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10718
sisyphus wrote:
Rod Serling wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
He also went on to day that this is what the Braves offered the Padres for Jake Peavy, and the Padres were going to take it.


No, they were not.

Because they did not.

Because Peavy has a no trade clause.

Call the White Sox GM as your first witness ...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth Traded to Atlanta!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:20 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
Just as an update. The Braves game got postponed tonight so Nate's debut with the Braves will be alittle later than exspected.

_________________
I break more news than CIA posters break wind!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth Traded to Atlanta!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:31 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:10 pm
Posts: 384
"This sends a bad message to all pirate players from the top down"...

...Dejan K., on tonights call in show on channel 14.


Suck on that.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: McLouth Traded to Atlanta!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:02 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4235
Location: Zelienople, PA
And, your hero Bob Smizik, the best writer ... ever... says its " a bold move worth making". Not your hero anymore Rod?

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits