That has to be a jinx . . . doesn't it?

Man, that was painful to type.

Post subject: Re: Changing Karma - Part II
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:46 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Go Cubs.
That has to be a jinx . . . doesn't it?

Man, that was painful to type.

Jinx or not, its always tough for 3 struggling lefties to matchup against a lineup featuring a bunch of right handed power. I am not looking forward to this series.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:34 pm 

BBF wrote:
Jinx or not, its always tough for 3 struggling lefties to matchup against a lineup featuring a bunch of right handed power. I am not looking forward to this series.

I thought that DK made a good point earlier this week when he commented about the fact that the Pirate lefties consistently go after the outside part of the plate - time and time and time again. Exercising a little bit of patience and anticipating pitches in that area of the plate generates lots of good hitting opportunities. It is almost as if you have a feast/famine situation. Unless the pitcher is "on" and hits his exact spot, a patient team is going to destroy the Pirate lefties.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:09 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Let's go Cubs!

That was painful.

#19 Oklahoma Sooners (5-2) at Iowa State Cyclones (2-5)
November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA
11:00 AM Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:09 am 

No. 9 wrote:
I thought that DK made a good point earlier this week when he commented about the fact that the Pirate lefties consistently go after the outside part of the plate - time and time and time again.

Maholm goes inside pretty regularly, but his problem is that he cannot throw on the inside corner for a called strike. Batters just ignore the pitch - it is off the plate and not at risk to be a called strike. So what good is it throwing that pitch?

Throw the fokking thing on the inside corner, get called strikes. Don't just throw one 3" off the inside corner, once out of 10 pitches.

Additionally, the problem that the Pirates have is that Duke, Maholm and Gorzellany are all finesse lefties. All throw upper 80's. Dumatrait is the only one of the lefties who could be called a power pitcher right now.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 9:06 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Additionally, the problem that the Pirates have is that Duke, Maholm and Gorzellany are all finesse lefties. All throw upper 80's. Dumatrait is the only one of the lefties who could be called a power pitcher right now.

Which is a real shame, considering Gorzellany used to be one of those power lefties.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:42 am 

Willton wrote:
Bucfan wrote:

Which is a real shame, considering Gorzellany used to be one of those power lefties.

Please send Thank You Cards care of Jim Tracy and Co.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:04 pm 

Here's a little nugget of info that really makes me wonder about the intelligence of Cubs fans: My assistant (usually a normal and nice person) is a huge Cubs fan. I mentioned to her the other day that the Cubs have never won a World Series at Wrigley Field and maybe the team would finally win if they moved to a new ballpark. She proceeded to give me an impassioned argument about how she would rather stay at Wrigley and not win then move to a new ballpark if a championship was more likely. I told her she was crazy and most normal sports fans root for their team to win championships and not because they like the ballpark. Personally, I would rather see a winner at Tres Rios than the manure-flavored baseball that we have seen at PNC the last 8 seasons.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:38 pm 

I've heard similar statements from my fellow Detroit Lions fans. Even guys who are knowledgeable football fans have admitted that deep down they don't want the Lions to win a Super Bowl because they wouldn't be the same Lions there after. I've read these words or similar more than a couple of times through the years. If fifty years of futility can create such thinking how many more Cubs fans must feel the same way? Anyway in Detroit they've had the Red Wings, Pistons, and Tigers all in championship series in recent years.