Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Personal Stories
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:05 pm 

OK, We had a thread going about seeing some great moments and games...

Ok, now how about some stories about some personal baseball moments some of the board member have been part of...or actually any personal sport moment anyone was involved with...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Personal Stories
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:26 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
OK, We had a thread going about seeing some great moments and games...

Ok, now how about some stories about some personal baseball moments some of the board member have been part of...or actually any personal sport moment anyone was involved with...

I had the good fortune to start out on a pre-little league team with a kid named Joey who went on to a long career as a minor league pitcher with the A's. He was even called up to Oakland twice, but he never managed to get into a game. We played on the same teams right through high school, so I caught so many no hitters that they really weren't all that special any more, but there is one that stood out.

I was a junior and he was a sophomore on the Langley High School baseball team. We had an in-season exhibition game against Mt. Lebanon, which had a pretty good baseball program at that time. Apparently our coach had a semi-friendly rivalry with Mt. Lebo's, and he lived out that way as well.

Our coach was not in favor of playing his younger players very much. First he tried to get all his seniors on the field, then his juniors, etc. To play before your junior year you had to be one outstanding ballplayer. Joey may have only been a sophomore, but he was by far the best pitcher on the team, and everybody but the coach knew it. Nevertheless, he couldn't get past throwing batting practice. Our coach didn't want to screw up his rotation for an exhibition game that was scheduled close to playoff time, so he sent Joey out to pitch against Mt. Lebanon. Naturally, he tossed a no hitter. I can't remember the strikeout count, but there were very few balls hit in fair territory. It was a real thrill to see Joey rub that no-hitter in the face of our coach, and to beat those rich Mt. Lebanon bastards as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:28 pm 

My best baseball story...

My Junior year of high school I hurt my back pretty bad and missed all of wrestling season but the 1st match of the season...so when high school baseball came around I was just getting to 100% and tried out for the team...I still couldnt swing too well at the time, and there was an overflow of 1st basemen trying out so I was cut...

Legion Baseball came around and I was back at 100%, went through the 1st two practices and killed the ball and was fielding everything pretty well...I had 8 at bats the year before with 4 hits in 8 games, before I got hurt (got kicked by a cow) and missed the rest of the season...anyway, the coach heard I was cut from the High School team and released me on the spot at the end of the 2nd practice...

I was quickly picked up a week later by another team a few miles down the road...and was the DH all season, and backing up at 1st, catcher (A lefty catcher mind you) and some OF and hit pretty well...

The next season I was the starting 1st baseman every game but one, I started at 2nd base one game...had a great season, and on the last game of the season, we played my old team, who we were tied with for the last playoff spot...

I had 3 hits and in the top of the last inning, hit a run tying double and on the next at bat came from 2nd and scored the go ahead run...

The bottom half of the inning came and the 1st pitch was a line drive I snagged out of the air for the 1st out, the next hitter hit a double, then the 2nd out was a fly ball to RF moving the runner to 3rd...The next batter was the leadoff hitter who was really fast and hit a ball to the SS and threw an awful throw across the field and had to stretch out as far as I could and luckily got the out call, I really think he beat the throw...

It was a great feeling to beat the team that cut me and knocking in the tying run, scoring the go ahead run and making the final out...

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:57 am 

Mine is football related. I went to a Catholic High School, and knew many of the players from rival teams since they had gone to grade school with me, competed against me in grade school, etc. Prior to the first game of my junior season, one guy I had known for years (and who I saw occasionally at church) made some unflattering comments to me. He promised to run my ass over when we played. We were more acquaintances than friends.

We played his team opening game. Opening kickoff, we receive. I am blocking and am standing near the middle of the field at our 30 yard line. Kick-off is semi-squibbed and rolls to me.

I pick it up and head to the middle of the field. Coming at me is the guy who promised to run my ass over. I plow into him and literally run him over. My cleats actually land on his chest as I run over him.

I am tackled shortly after running him over. When I get up, Albert (guy who was going to run my ass over) is still on the ground. Albert was done for the day.

I had of course told teammates about the pre-game comments, and they insisted that I ran right at the guy and made zero effort to avoid him. It might have looked that way but it was simply a matter of fate.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:12 pm 
During Little League my team had the token fat kid. He was a pitcher and could throw pretty hard for our age. Between innings, he'd often house food from the snack bar.

One game, after he pitched an inning, he got a piece of pizza. Little did he know our team's at bats would be 1-2-3 and he'd have to be right back out there pitching again. What did he do? He stuck the piece of pizza in his pants pocket and went out and pitched the next inning.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:12 am 

Genius Elmer! LOLOL

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:15 am 
 WWW  Profile

Elmer wrote:
He stuck the piece of pizza in his pants pocket and went out and pitched the next inning.

It would be great if someone had a picture of that...classic!

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 10:01 am 

cappscrew138 wrote:
Elmer wrote:
He stuck the piece of pizza in his pants pocket and went out and pitched the next inning.

It would be great if someone had a picture of that...classic!

I'm picturing the kid who played the catcher in the Original Bad News Bears Movie when I heard that...