Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Draft Time
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:19 pm 

Who do you think we should draft, Personally I think we should draft P. Alvarez or J. Smoak. I really like Smoak, he's hiting 385 with 20 homeruns, 54 walks and 26 strikeouts. He can replace this character named LaRoche we have stinking up first base. I'm not sold on T.Beckham having power in the big leagues, we need a few power hitters here. So, if the Rays take Alvarez, I hope the Bucs go after Smoak.

Post subject: Re: Draft Time
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:02 am 

d-train wrote:
Who do you think we should draft, Personally I think we should draft P. Alvarez or J. Smoak. I really like Smoak, he's hiting 385 with 20 homeruns, 54 walks and 26 strikeouts. He can replace this character named LaRoche we have stinking up first base. I'm not sold on T.Beckham having power in the big leagues, we need a few power hitters here. So, if the Rays take Alvarez, I hope the Bucs go after Smoak.

I'd be very reluctant to use a high draft pick on any first baseman.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:42 am 

d-train wrote:

We have Pearce, Doumit, Gomez, and/or Mientkiewicz to take over 1B if necessary. First isn't a need for us right now. Third is, so take the BPA and get Alvarez.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:15 am 

I would rather have Alvarez, but if the Rays take him I would choose Smoak. What's wrong with taking a first baseman that high? I would love to see Pearce back at first but the Bucs aren't going to do that. Doumit, Gomez, and/or Mientkiewicz at first? I hope your joking. Pitchers sure haven't worked out for us. Smoak is going to be a very good middle of the lineup hitter who will put the ball in play, unlike LaRoche.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:38 am 

So will tim beckham
IF alvarez is gone get beckhem if hes there take him.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:48 am 

d-train wrote:
I would rather have Alvarez, but if the Rays take him I would choose Smoak. What's wrong with taking a first baseman that high? I would love to see Pearce back at first but the Bucs aren't going to do that. Doumit, Gomez, and/or Mientkiewicz at first? I hope your joking. Pitchers sure haven't worked out for us. Smoak is going to be a very good middle of the lineup hitter who will put the ball in play, unlike LaRoche.

The only way I take a first baseman with a very high pick is if he is by far the best hitter available. Why? Because there is nowhere to move him to if he can't handle first base defensively. First base is where you put your sluggers who were drafted as third basemen, outfielders or catchers after they've shown that they can't handle their original positions. Take a look at major league first basemen. Berkman, Youkilis, Pujols, Texeira, and Delgado all started out at other positions. That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure that there are many more. The Pirates of the early 90s had a first base platoon consisting of one guy drafted as an outfielder and another signed as a shortstop. The Pirates of the late 70s had a left fielder with bad knees manning first. If you take a guy like Fielder or Howard, you'd better be sure that they have enough glove to handle first for many years. Also, since the defensive requirements of first base are easier to meet, it's easier to find a guy to fill that spot.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:14 pm 

That's usually the decision a team after the fifth pick makes. Case in point, Brewers with Matt LaPorta as they tried to find a place to play him. When you are in the top five you can usually find more athletic players who hit just as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:39 pm 

Pirates could arrange a promotion if they drafted Justin Smoak.

For any rain delay, he would take the field while fireworks were set off . . .

Smoak on the water,
And fire in the sky