Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Griffey Jr pranks Fogg...
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:57 am 
 WWW  Profile

Griffey has been one of my favorite ballplayers of all-time. He's got a great personality too!

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_le ... =mlb,82650

Post subject: Re: Griffey Jr pranks Fogg...
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:44 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
Griffey has been one of my favorite ballplayers of all-time. He's got a great personality too!

Since my season tickets were in CF the past few seasons, I've had the chance to interact with many CF'ers...Griffey is the by far the greatest guy to come through PNC. He takes hecklers in stride and even jokes around with them. Great guy...if being a good guy counted in the homerun race he would be lightyears ahead of Bonds.

From that standpoint, the "best" Pirates CF? Tike. Hands down. Too bad he couldn't hit or field a lick.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:14 pm 

BBF wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

Since my season tickets were in CF the past few seasons, I've had the chance to interact with many CF'ers...Griffey is the by far the greatest guy to come through PNC. He takes hecklers in stride and even jokes around with them. Great guy...if being a good guy counted in the homerun race he would be lightyears ahead of Bonds.

From that standpoint, the "best" Pirates CF? Tike. Hands down. Too bad he couldn't hit or field a lick.

I wish that Griffey's health had been better. He was on course for a huge career HR number when his legs gave out, and he seems to be a likeable guy.

I'd bet that Nyjer Morgan would have surpassed Tike in your estimation if he had spent as much time in CF. I really like him.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:34 pm 

Living in Cincinnati for the last 10 years or so, Griffey is indeed a great personality on and off the ballfield. While I can't think of any specific examples right now, I specifically remember the way he has treated fans who give him the ball after catching one of his record-breaking or just important Home Runs to him, which has gone all the way to flying that kid's family to away games and letting him sit in the dugout for a game.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:43 pm 

sisyphus wrote:

I'd bet that Nyjer Morgan would have surpassed Tike in your estimation if he had spent as much time in CF. I really like him.

I don't know...the few games that I attended that Nyjer played in, he largely ignored the fans in CF...however, if he had the talent to be a starting OFer and played out there for a longer period of time, perhaps my impression would be different, as he seems like a great guy, very enthusiastic and very funny, in interviews. Unfortunately, his talents don't surpass those of Tike, so I doubt (hope) he will never have the opportunity.