Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Pirates vs. Red Birds 5/13/08
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:03 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Bucfan wrote:
Salas is in line to get the win in his first major league appearance.

Quite a contrast to Meek's debut.

I'm not ready to give Salas much praise for tonight. Three walks in one inning does not bode well for the future.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates vs. Red Birds 5/13/08
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:07 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10202
TheShark wrote:
In all fairness, we'll have to see more out of Salas, but this sure is a memorable first game.


No question, Shark. I just liked the fact that he put the ball right where he wanted against Pujols. One strike, at the bottom of the knees. Just off the outside corner, inside the inside corner.

Guys who can control the ball inside the strike zone have success.

He was not throwing particularly hard, but unleashed one at 94 to Pujols (chest high). He seems to be able to throw strikes, the leadoff walk notwithstanding. (I attribute that to the fact that, I don't know, he is making his major league debut in a tie game, on the road, in the bottom of the ninth!!)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates vs. Red Birds 5/13/08
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:08 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10202
Willton wrote:
I'm not ready to give Salas much praise for tonight. Three walks in one inning does not bode well for the future.


Did you see the game?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates vs. Red Birds 5/13/08
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:11 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 2792
Well deserved and much worth staying up for. Start of another winning streak now I hope.

- Another fine start by Dumatrait. Yeah, he got bit by a long-ball after a walk (right after K'ing Pujols), but I'm not complaining about his outings so far. In fact I couldn't be more satisfied.

- After a very bleak beginning for the bats, he clutch hits by McLouth (10th HR), Paulino (replacing Doumit after an early thumb injury with two BIG hits), and LaRoche for the big double to seal the game in the 10th.

- Sanchez also continues to improve/excel in that lead-off groove.

- Marino Salas gets a major league debut he'll sure never forget. Comes in and gets the bases load in the bottom of the 9th before getting out of it via pop up. Wow!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates vs. Red Birds 5/13/08
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10202
Willton - you did not reply. I will presume that you did not see the game and based your comment on the stat line, since if you had seen the game you would have noted:

    - The second walk, to Shumaker, was an intentional walk.
    - The third walk, to Pujols, might as well have been an intentional walk.
    - As I noted, his work on the Pujols at bat was very impressive. Pujols was tempted to pull the trigger and holding back on balls just a little to far outside, or inside, or up, etc.

Salas walked the leadoff batter. That was a bad thing. But uhmm, he is in his first game ever, on the road, in a tie game, in the bottom of the ninth.

Maybe we can understand him being just a fraction tight? Tell you what, under those circumstances for the average guy, if you put this:

Image

into his butt, you would wind up with this:

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates vs. Red Birds 5/13/08
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:28 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 4976
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
Bucfan is dead on right about Salas' walk totals.
The first one was not good.
The second one was called for by the bench.
His walking Pujols resulted from very good pitching. You simply cannot give in to arguably the best hitter in baseball. As Pujols stepped into the box, I was hoping upon hope that Russell would have held up 4 fingers for the intentional walk. You really can't complain about how Salas pitched to Pujols. He did an excellent job.

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates vs. Red Birds 5/13/08
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:01 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
Bucfan wrote:
Doumit had a pitch clang off his mitt. He was apparently crossed up. As soon as it happened, I wondered if he was hurt since the ball hit the edge of the mitt, where his thumb is located.


Catchers get crossed up all the time. The pitch looked rather innocuous, a little up and out, instead of down and in. This certainly doesn't help to reduce the public perception of Doumit being an accident waiting to happen. I hope he gets back in the line-up soon, and more importantly, I hope this isn't going to be some lingering injury that affects his ability to hit.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates vs. Red Birds 5/13/08
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:17 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
I'm nit picking here, and setting myself up to be knocked down, but was I the only one who thought Nate played Glaus' HR poorly? Lanny kept harping on how hard Nate went into the wall, but I couldn't help but think that had he done a better job of knowing where the wall was, the play is very makable. That ball squeaked over the wall and was very catchable if the jump is timed properly.

Easier said than done, I know.....................


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates vs. Red Birds 5/13/08
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:22 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:11 pm
Posts: 4976
Location: 120 miles west of Iowa City
Argentum wrote:
I'm nit picking here, and setting myself up to be knocked down, but was I the only one who thought Nate played Glaus' HR poorly? Lanny kept harping on how hard Nate went into the wall, but I couldn't help but think that had he done a better job of knowing where the wall was, the play is very makable. That ball squeaked over the wall and was very catchable if the jump is timed properly.


Capable of being caught? Absolutely.
Routine play? Not even close
"Kind of" a tough play? No.
"Really" tough play? Absolutely.
It would have been a Web Gem.
Tori Hunter likely makes that catch. However, hard to find much fault with McLouth failing to bring that one back in the park. It would have been a spectacular defensive play.
But, as you admit, it is a "nitpick" . . . . nothing wrong with that and it is a valid observation that the ball was capable of being caught.

_________________
Reflexively, obsessively and tastelessly submitted,
No. 9
Obsessive proponent of situational bunting and 2 strike hitting approaches, reflexively pro-catchers calling good games and tasteless proponent of the value of a RBI.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates vs. Red Birds 5/13/08
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:25 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
No. 9 wrote:
Argentum wrote:
I'm nit picking here, and setting myself up to be knocked down, but was I the only one who thought Nate played Glaus' HR poorly? Lanny kept harping on how hard Nate went into the wall, but I couldn't help but think that had he done a better job of knowing where the wall was, the play is very makable. That ball squeaked over the wall and was very catchable if the jump is timed properly.


Capable of being caught? Absolutely.
Routine play? Not even close
"Kind of" a tough play? No.
"Really" tough play? Absolutely.
It would have been a Web Gem.
Tori Hunter likely makes that catch. However, hard to find much fault with McLouth failing to bring that one back in the park. It would have been a spectacular defensive play.
But, as you admit, it is a "nitpick" . . . . nothing wrong with that and it is a valid observation that the ball was capable of being caught.


Thank you for being easy on me! The ball did hit the top of the fence, but had there been a bit more loft, Nate has a much better chance. The ball was a frozen rope.

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates vs. Red Birds 5/13/08
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:51 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:50 pm
Posts: 10
Argentum wrote:
I'm nit picking here, and setting myself up to be knocked down, but was I the only one who thought Nate played Glaus' HR poorly? Lanny kept harping on how hard Nate went into the wall, but I couldn't help but think that had he done a better job of knowing where the wall was, the play is very makable. That ball squeaked over the wall and was very catchable if the jump is timed properly.

Easier said than done, I know.....................


I agree with you here. Actually, watching it live, I thought Nate brought the ball down with him... but it wasn't even really close watching the replay. I think if he had been playing a few steps deeper in center he would have had that sucker in his glove.

_________________
Go Bills, Go Sabres, Go Pirates


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pirates vs. Red Birds 5/13/08
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 2:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10202
Argentum wrote:
Thank you for being easy on me! The ball did hit the top of the fence, but had there been a bit more loft, Nate has a much better chance. The ball was a frozen rope.


Exactly my thoughts. The ball was hit so hard that Nate did not have a chance to "time" his jump.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits