Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Retrospect: The almost home of the Pittsburgh Pirates
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:05 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 903
Early design before settling on Three Rivers Stadium: Stadium over the Monongahela.

Image

Presented by NADCO Engineering Co

The Proposed Stadium over the Monongahela.

A Classic Structure that will blend with the Renaissance of Pittsburgh.

Completely Self-Liquidating.
No Tax Loss.
No Land Acquisition.
70,000 Capacity with Majority Under Cover.
600 Room Hotel with Gourmet Restaurants.
4,500 Automobile Parking Stalls Inside.
100 Air Conditioned Bowling Alleys.
World's Largest Covered Boat Dock.
Beautiful Gardens Overlooking River.
Truly a Multi-Purpose, Multi-Income Facility.
A 'First' in the World.
Consulting Architect: M.de Mailly of Paris, France, Premier Grand Prix de Rome Winner.
Idea Originated by Mr. Eric M. Sirko.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Retrospect: The almost home of the Pittsburgh Pirates
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:09 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5529
Fascinating, but... WTF?

100 bowling alleys?!

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Retrospect: The almost home of the Pittsburgh Pirates
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:10 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 903
NSMaster56 wrote:
Fascinating, but... WTF?

100 bowling alleys?!


This was the late 50's, early 60's; it's what people did back then I guess.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Retrospect: The almost home of the Pittsburgh Pirates
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:43 pm
Posts: 4842
Location: Omaha, NE via Sioux City, Kansas City, and Chicago
That's a good find. Very odd about the bowling alleys :lol:

_________________
#15 Kansas State Wildcats (1-0) at Iowa State Cyclones (0-1)
Jack Trice Stadium
September 6, 2014
11:00 AM CST
Fox Sports 1


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Retrospect: The almost home of the Pittsburgh Pirates
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:19 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 903
IA Pirate wrote:
That's a good find. Very odd about the bowling alleys :lol:


Thanks. The delay has caused me to Google drift for a bit.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Retrospect: The almost home of the Pittsburgh Pirates
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:57 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5529
rellimie wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
Fascinating, but... WTF?

100 bowling alleys?!


This was the late 50's, early 60's; it's what people did back then I guess.


Ah, that makes sense.

For some reason I misread and thought this was the proposed replacement for TRS.

Makes way more sense, although there were probably more 'outdated' things that venue could have had from that era. Fascinating stuff.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Retrospect: The almost home of the Pittsburgh Pirates
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5141
Location: Pittsburgh
NSMaster56 wrote:
Fascinating, but... WTF?

100 bowling alleys?!

Bowling was insanely popular in that era.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Retrospect: The almost home of the Pittsburgh Pirates
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:27 pm
Posts: 397
Location: Morgantown, WV, via Charleston, WV
Maybe it meant 100 bowling "lanes" as opposed to "alleys." Bowling was huge in the 70's for sure, and Princess Lanes in Pittsburgh was/is one of the bigger bowling alleys in Western PA with 44 lanes. http://www.bowlprincess.com/

I'm not into bowling, but I do sporst TV for a living and have televised 2 different Pro Bowler's Tour events from Princess Lanes.

But back to the OP... What an unreal concept. Glad they didn't build it (can you imagine the Gateway Clipper trying to go under the stadium???).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Retrospect: The almost home of the Pittsburgh Pirates
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:18 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5529
sisyphus wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
Fascinating, but... WTF?

100 bowling alleys?!

Bowling was insanely popular in that era.


So was the Charleston. ;) :D

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Retrospect: The almost home of the Pittsburgh Pirates
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:18 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 903
Charleston_Charlies wrote:
Maybe it meant 100 bowling "lanes" as opposed to "alleys." Bowling was huge in the 70's for sure, and Princess Lanes in Pittsburgh was/is one of the bigger bowling alleys in Western PA with 44 lanes. http://www.bowlprincess.com/

I'm not into bowling, but I do sporst TV for a living and have televised 2 different Pro Bowler's Tour events from Princess Lanes.

But back to the OP... What an unreal concept. Glad they didn't build it (can you imagine the Gateway Clipper trying to go under the stadium???).


I think it would have been high enough for commercial traffic, it would have to be. Imagine who unique our stadium would be with something like that.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Retrospect: The almost home of the Pittsburgh Pirates
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5141
Location: Pittsburgh
NSMaster56 wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
Fascinating, but... WTF?

100 bowling alleys?!

Bowling was insanely popular in that era.


So was the Charleston. ;) :D

lol

Maybe the Twist.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Retrospect: The almost home of the Pittsburgh Pirates
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5141
Location: Pittsburgh
rellimie wrote:
Charleston_Charlies wrote:
Maybe it meant 100 bowling "lanes" as opposed to "alleys." Bowling was huge in the 70's for sure, and Princess Lanes in Pittsburgh was/is one of the bigger bowling alleys in Western PA with 44 lanes. http://www.bowlprincess.com/

I'm not into bowling, but I do sporst TV for a living and have televised 2 different Pro Bowler's Tour events from Princess Lanes.

But back to the OP... What an unreal concept. Glad they didn't build it (can you imagine the Gateway Clipper trying to go under the stadium???).


I think it would have been high enough for commercial traffic, it would have to be. Imagine who unique our stadium would be with something like that.

Imagine what it would cost to build it today. Billions, I'd guess.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits