Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: July 9, 2013 Oakland A's (53-37) at Pirates (53-35)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:52 am 

Clevelandsux wrote:
Starting to feel like deja vu all over again. Trying to be positive, but its hard. You cant be this enemic offensively and keep winning. Our bench players are weak. i promised myself I wouldn't get to gung ho over this team until late august or September.

Now I have to go to work and hear it from my Oakland A's fan coworker. Now that's a team I wish the Pirates Would learn from. Small market, but they win. We need a guy like Billy been.

You're aware that these teams are nearly identical in their numbers but the A's are farther along in the process, right?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:04 am 

The A's haven't had 20 losing seasons in a row. One thing my friend did say is the A's will never win it all, and that gets frustrating. Pirate fans just want a team to have a winning record!

I try to stay positive, but its getting harder. This team is horrible offensively. They will collapse once again if they don't figure out how to score runs. Not being a pessimist, just being a realist.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:23 am 

If they falter (which will only happen if the pitching falls apart), then is it really a collapse? Or just a team settling into a record that's indicative of their talent?

If the pitching is as good as it's shown, they'll be fine. The offense is depressed significantly by PNC (which helps the pitching), as long as the pitching continues there's not much cause for alarm.

They scored 49 runs in 7 games on their recent road trip for Pete's sake. Let's not act like we're doomed for 1-2 run games every day.

Like I said, if we play our home games at Coors we're freaking out about our pitching because it inflates runs like crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:11 am 

StarlingArcher wrote:
buccosfan77 wrote:
Collapse. The offense that is. We all love that word around here. 3 series losses in a row. Pretty good pitching throughout the past 9 games. Wake the hell up offense. Get something at the deadline. Cutch, wake up.

And when they won 9 games in a row that was indicative of their talent?

It's a losing streak. It happens. They had 9 hits last night and lost. That's baseball.

The pitching is holding up. They've had several big offensive series on the road. Sky isn't falling.

The sky isn't falling yet but if you're with me in that you think the pitching will regress even just a little then you're with me that the skies will open up. I noted in an earlier thread, around the beginning of the year that the only "team" stat consistent with 20 years of losing "streak" was 20 years of finishing in the bottom half of the league in "total" runs scored. I like the sabermetric stats, I try to keep up with you guys here on those stats but I think we're in agreement that at the end of a long season the hometown team needs feet touching homeplate.