Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MLB To Suspend Braun And A-Rod
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:10 pm 

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/m ... m=facebook

Quote:
Major League Baseball is expected to suspend Ryan Braun, Alex Rodriguez, and as many as 20 players connected to the Biogenesis clinic sometime after next week's All-Star break, several sources told T.J. Quinn and Mike Fish of ESPN.com. Commissioner Bud Selig's office may issue 100-game bans for Braun and Rodriguez, the punishment for a second offense, despite neither player receiving a previous suspension for violating MLB drug rules.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: MLB To Suspend Braun And A-Rod
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:49 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/07/mlb-to-suspend-braun-rodriguez-others.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Quote:
Major League Baseball is expected to suspend Ryan Braun, Alex Rodriguez, and as many as 20 players connected to the Biogenesis clinic sometime after next week's All-Star break, several sources told T.J. Quinn and Mike Fish of ESPN.com. Commissioner Bud Selig's office may issue 100-game bans for Braun and Rodriguez, the punishment for a second offense, despite neither player receiving a previous suspension for violating MLB drug rules.

Let the lawsuits begin.

Selig is an idiot if he thinks he'll get away with banning Braun or Rodriguez for 100 games.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:55 pm 

I'm betting that he is not acting on a whim here and that some $500/hr lawyers are telling him that he has a potential case to win.

Don't forget that there may be "victories" to be achieved even if a 100 game ban is overturned.

The Union is in a tough spot here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:31 pm 

Good hate both of those prima donna bitches!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:16 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
I'm betting that he is not acting on a whim here and that some $500/hr lawyers are telling him that he has a potential case to win.

Don't forget that there may be "victories" to be achieved even if a 100 game ban is overturned.

The Union is in a tough spot here.

The entire case hinges on the words of a guy who will soon be a convicted felon, and MLB has made the guy a lot of generous promises for telling them what they want to hear. His credibility is seriously questionable.

I also think that trying to nail some of the players with two violations of the drug policy in a single case has no chance of getting past an arbitrator.

Frankly, I"m sick of hearing about PEDs in baseball. If you're an NFL fan who watches three games on a Sunday I'm betting that you see more guys on PEDs in that one day than there are in all of baseball right now. Baseball has more stringent testing and tougher penalties. Why is it a sign of the apocalypse every time a baseball player is connected to PEDs, while the NFL gets a pass?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:26 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Frankly, I"m sick of hearing about PEDs in baseball. If you're an NFL fan who watches three games on a Sunday I'm betting that you see more guys on PEDs in that one day than there are in all of baseball right now. Baseball has more stringent testing and tougher penalties. Why is it a sign of the apocalypse every time a baseball player is connected to PEDs, while the NFL gets a pass?
Because baseball has better numbers, as in 714 and 61 and 300..... Offensive linemen on PEDs don't get noticed, and they get paid for shit, while A-Rod and his $25/year salary, well, that attracts a lot of attention....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:33 am 

sisyphus wrote:
The entire case hinges on the words of a guy who will soon be a convicted felon, and MLB has made the guy a lot of generous promises for telling them what they want to hear. His credibility is seriously questionable.

Hakuna Matata,
John Dowd, Esq.

That's what I thought too.
Regrettably,
Pete Rose

Anyone dealing PEDs is going to be of a questionable character. Nature of the beast.

Also, why does baseball want to hear bad things about its players? I get Selig's desire to drill Braun after that ridiculous arbitration ruling but - really - why does it want to fillet a bunch of players?

I wholly agree about the disparate treatment that the press gives to the NFL.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:08 am 

Olney blog saying that the players are all hoping that Braun goes down. Telling, IMO. They'd know if a guy did or didn't do it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:34 am 

Does anyone know who the other 20 are? I certainly hope that there is no connection to any former Buccos.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:33 am 

Charleston_Charlies wrote:
Does anyone know who the other 20 are? I certainly hope that there is no connection to any former Buccos.

Apparently, there are about 5 "mystery names" that no one in the press knows about. I'm hoping it's Yadier Molina, Adam Wainwright, Joey Votto, Aroldis Chapman, and Jay Bruce.

;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:23 am 

I hear you but I'm more concerned about current Buccos (other than Inge).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:57 pm 

val wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Because baseball has better numbers, as in 714 and 61 and 300..... Offensive linemen on PEDs don't get noticed, and they get paid for shit, while A-Rod and his $25/year salary, well, that attracts a lot of attention....

Might be right, but it's a ridiculous excuse if it's true.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:59 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
Olney blog saying that the players are all hoping that Braun goes down. Telling, IMO. They'd know if a guy did or didn't do it.

I'd like to see him squirm just for stealing 2nd late in a game against the Pirates with a 6 run lead. Can't stand the guy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:06 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
val wrote:

This is the same sport that entered the instant replay era kicking and screaming and incorporating as little corrective action as possible. Of course that's their excuse.

Also, yeah Braun is unbelievably smug and arrogant. I'd love to see him go down after he absolutely trashed people and threw them under the bus in his public statement after wiggling out via a technicality.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:43 pm 

StarlingArcher wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
val wrote:

This is the same sport that entered the instant replay era kicking and screaming and incorporating as little corrective action as possible. Of course that's their excuse.

Also, yeah Braun is unbelievably smug and arrogant. I'd love to see him go down after he absolutely trashed people and threw them under the bus in his public statement after wiggling out via a technicality.

Which sport you talking about, SA?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:07 pm 

Baseball. Football has pretty much made every non-judgment call reviewable.

Baseball left as much of the human element in as they possibly could.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:04 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:

Apparently, there are about 5 "mystery names" that no one in the press knows about. I'm hoping it's Yadier Molina, Adam Wainwright, Joey Votto, Aroldis Chapman, and Jay Bruce.

;)

:lol:

That would be nice.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:44 pm 

No. 9 wrote:

I hear you but I'm more concerned about current Buccos (other than Inge).

If Inge is juicing, he needs a refund because the stuff isn't working.