Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Travis Snider - options?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:44 am 

Does Snider have any options left?
I'd be all in favor of him going to Indianapolis to play every night to see if he can re-find his swing and to let Alex Presley take his spot on the roster for a while. He is in a stretch where he isn't coming close to making good contact - if he makes contact at all.

Maybe he needs a stint on the DL with a hang nail.

Post subject: Re: Travis Snider - options?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:27 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Does Snider have any options left?

No, he doesn't. The Blue Jays used up Snider's 3 automatic option years by bouncing him from the minors to the majors between 2009-2011 and then used up the "additional" option year last season by demoting him again to AAA. The Pirates would have to put him through waivers to demote him.

As you noted, however, in the event of an injury, a 20-day rehab assignment is available. And no doubt, he needs to do something to find his hitting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:29 pm 

Snider does not have options.

I was encouraged by his hot start, but have now seen enough and would give up on him, even though he is only 25. He was given his chance and he failed. He simply does not hit well enough to be a corner outfielder.

And I agree Presley would give you more.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:33 pm 

I'm not in the "give up" mode as of yet. I'm keep thinking that he could be a Moss type situation. I'm hoping that he breaks a toe nail and needs some time in AAA to "recover" and play every day.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:47 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
I'm keep thinking that he could be a Moss type situation.

That's an interesting comparison for nothing other than the fact that both have had very similar 25 year old seasons. I just wonder if the Pirates can afford to wait 3 years to get production out of Snider. The smart money says no with Polanco in AA right now but then again, Polanco is in AA right now and we have no idea if he'll be a MLer at this point (though all signs are positive).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:02 pm 

JollyRoger wrote:
No. 9 wrote:
I'm keep thinking that he could be a Moss type situation.

That's an interesting comparison for nothing other than the fact that both have had very similar 25 year old seasons. I just wonder if the Pirates can afford to wait 3 years to get production out of Snider. The smart money says no with Polanco in AA right now but then again, Polanco is in AA right now and we have no idea if he'll be a MLer at this point (though all signs are positive).

His troubles at the plate remind me of Moss' struggles. A lot. I agree with you . . . not in the "wait and see" mode for 3 years. The Bucs are now beyond that point.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:15 pm 

He likes to cook, so he needs to have a kitchen accident for a DL trip...

It would be more believable.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:17 pm 

Even if the Bucs were in 'wait and see mode' three years is a long time.

Presley has been solid this year. He could be a servicable fourth OFer.

Of course, at some point Lambo deserves a shot.

While It would be nice for Snider to find a spot here, it would be equally beneficial to move Snider ala Gorkys last year (since, barring injury, L/RF is the one spot the Bucs have surplus).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:18 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
He likes to cook...

Sounds like a plan is forming.

Someone slip X-Lax or ipecac onto Snider's steaks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:46 pm 

Been a fan since the trade happened, was arguing that he should get the bulk of starts in RF coming out of ST. At this point though, he has absolutely no right being the RF picture hitting as poorly as he is with the lack of power, the latter of which is probably just a reality for his career now. This was the season that you wanted to see the power develop if it was there. There's just no value in a combination of that with hitting so poorly overall. And it's unfortunate because I was a big supporter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:59 pm 

I really like Snider, but lets face it...he is a mess. You win some and lose some with guys like him. They won big time when they took a chance on AJ Burnett. This one is going to go in the loss column. Toronto took a chance on Lincoln in this deal and they look like they are going to lose too.

Snider has had quite a few opportunities at the MLB level. I think it's time to cut bait on him. Presley would be a decent addition for now. He actually would provide far more than Snider has. Play Presley/Tabata until a better option is available...Lambo? Trade?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:49 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Snider has had a bad month and a half at the plate... and just as good a month and a half to start.

It used to be called a slump. We'll see if it is and he can pull himself out.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:08 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Snider has had a bad month and a half at the plate... and just as good a month and a half to start.

ZM

ZM -
Here's the problem from my perspective. Clint has apparently made it clear that, given Snider's current "slump," the platoon no longer exists. Jose is the starting RFer. Thus, Snider is going to have to work out of his slump through the occasional pinch hit appearance. That's awfully tough to do. He needs to tweak a hammy, sprain a wrist, develop a boil, get corns on his feet or have a nightmare about spiders. Anything that will land him on the 15 day DL and get him to Indy for some regular PT. Presley can keep the spot warm for him.

I like his approach to the game and want nothing more than unmitigated success for him. I'm just not convinced that being a PH'er gets him to where he needs to get.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:24 pm 

I don't think Snider is a mess. I think his approach at the plate seems ok. Its the results that are just not there.

A rehab stint would be great. I don't know how far you can go with making up injuries. It did not seem to be an issue with JMac. But then again maybe he really is injured.

I don't think Moss is that great of a comparison, because at age 25 Moss had a lot less MLB expererience. Right now Moss has just over 1200 MLB at bats and Snider just under, even though Snider is 5 years younger.

So Snider is out of excuses. He needed to hit this year, and he didn't.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:30 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

ZM

Maybe if he had tearing it up early (his >.900 OPS in only 18 games is too small a sample to say he was) or if he didn't have a history of 'averageness' it could be considered a slump.

However, Snider appears to have settled into his old ways.

He's been bad since May. He's been really bad since May 22nd.

If the Pirates didn't have plenty of other options it wouldn't stand out so much.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:12 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I'm not so convinced that Tabata's PT isn't to showcase him for a RF with some known power. Think Mike Morse here. Tabata might make someone an affordable top of the order guy with that team's power options, and someone like Morse give the Pirates a low cost, solid power bat that you can still rotate with Snider.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:18 pm 

It's not like Snider is only playing every 4th or 5th night though. He is playing almost daily and getting regular at bats thanks to his Inge like obsession with the Double Switch.

Is it me or does Snider's stance/grip on the bat look awkward?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:52 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
Think Mike Morse here.

ZM

Please, NO.

Ask an M's fan how well that's working out for them.

Morse = [very] poor man's Adam Dunn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:04 pm 

I don't think there's any way that they're showcasing a 24 year old who they control for cheap for the next 6 years (if they want to). At least not for another RF bat.

Worst case scenario you have a bargain 4th OF. If Tabata had been called up from AAA (as is the case with most 24 year olds) and had the season he's having so far we'd all be downright giddy. A guy doesn't stop progressing when he reaches the bigs nor does his "prime" window move....24 is 24.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:36 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
I'm not so convinced that Tabata's PT isn't to showcase him for a RF with some known power. Think Mike Morse here. Tabata might make someone an affordable top of the order guy with that team's power options, and someone like Morse give the Pirates a low cost, solid power bat that you can still rotate with Snider.

ZM

I doubt that. If Tabata fails to hit, his value plunges, If he hits, why in the heck would you trade him?