Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Lineup tweak?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 4553
Location: Pittsburgh
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
doug frobel wrote:
I just think they need to do something to jumpstart Cutch at this point. Clubs would have no choice but to pitch to him.


Jumpstart Cutch? The guy leads the team in oWAR, OPS, OBP, and batting average. He is currently tied for third in WAR among all NL position players. I'd say he's been sufficiently "jumpstarted" thus far. And I'd bet his power numbers tick up through July and August.



He's supposed to lead the team in those categories and most of his WAR has come from defense and the position he plays, if I'm not mistaken. He seemed to hit better last year, so why can't he be jumpstarted?

How would his power numbers pick up if he's not jumpstartable?

If you're expecting Cutch to club 30+ homers every year you're in for a big disappointment. He's most likely to be right around 20 most years, and he might never see 30 again.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lineup tweak?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 4428
Location: Washington, DC
sisyphus wrote:
If you're expecting Cutch to club 30+ homers every year you're in for a big disappointment. He's most likely to be right around 20 most years, and he might never see 30 again.


He has tremendous bat speed, so he'll always be a threat. I think he'll settle in at 20-25 and have one or two more seasons of 30+ home runs. Just one man's opinion.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lineup tweak?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 4553
Location: Pittsburgh
J_C_Steel wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
If you're expecting Cutch to club 30+ homers every year you're in for a big disappointment. He's most likely to be right around 20 most years, and he might never see 30 again.


He has tremendous bat speed, so he'll always be a threat. I think he'll settle in at 20-25 and have one or two more seasons of 30+ home runs. Just one man's opinion.

Could be, he has some of the fastest hands I've ever seen. Playing at PNC will hurt him, though.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lineup tweak?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 4428
Location: Washington, DC
sisyphus wrote:
Could be, he has some of the fastest hands I've ever seen. Playing at PNC will hurt him, though.


Yup. For Cutch to hit 30+ in a season, he has to go bonkers in the road games.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lineup tweak?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7102
J_C_Steel wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Could be, he has some of the fastest hands I've ever seen. Playing at PNC will hurt him, though.


Yup. For Cutch to hit 30+ in a season, he has to go bonkers in the road games.


Last season McCutchen hit 29 doubles and 31 Homeruns. This year he has 25 doubles already. Is it possible some of those homers last season were just 'lucky' doubles?

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lineup tweak?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 4553
Location: Pittsburgh
nad69dan wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Could be, he has some of the fastest hands I've ever seen. Playing at PNC will hurt him, though.


Yup. For Cutch to hit 30+ in a season, he has to go bonkers in the road games.


Last season McCutchen hit 29 doubles and 31 Homeruns. This year he has 25 doubles already. Is it possible some of those homers last season were just 'lucky' doubles?

Could be. Maybe this year's doubles are unlucky homers, though.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lineup tweak?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:04 pm 
Online
 Profile

Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:17 pm
Posts: 1835
Location: Tejas
nad69dan wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Could be, he has some of the fastest hands I've ever seen. Playing at PNC will hurt him, though.


Yup. For Cutch to hit 30+ in a season, he has to go bonkers in the road games.


Last season McCutchen hit 29 doubles and 31 Homeruns. This year he has 25 doubles already. Is it possible some of those homers last season were just 'lucky' doubles?


Yes and no? Can I say that?

He's hitting a ton more line drives this year than usual, and it's mostly at the expense of fly balls. He's pretty much 5% above his career norms in LD% and 5% below in FB%. There's like a 0.2% discrepancy in GB% but that's not a big deal. So I wouldn't necessarily say it's been totally luck, as he's just hitting fewer fly balls this season so far.

And, he has a pretty compact line drive swing, so I think he'll have periods where he hits mostly line drives.

But, he also had a 20% HR/FB ratio last year, which is pretty big. Especially since his career norm is around 12% (which is good....15% is considered to be excellent). So that's going to be tough for him to duplicate, in my opinion.

Basically, I think he's going to be ~.300 - .310 most years with 20-25 HR's, which will make him a premium CF for a lot of years.

_________________
Moneyball Saves.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Lineup tweak?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:18 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:07 pm
Posts: 2110
He is getting pitched away big time, and he's still trying to pull too much. I'd like to see a chart on his hits over the past month. He's giving the third baseman a real workout.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bucco boy, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], StarlingArcher, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits