Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Dreaded Second Half Of The Season
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:30 pm 

here's to hoping our guys can continue to play tough down the stretch, something we know they've struggled to do dating back more than a few years. last year was heartbreaking - with 52 games remaining the bucs were sitting at 16 games above .500 (63-47) and trailed the equally red hot reds (who owned the second best record in baseball at the time) by just 2.5 games. then the wheels came completely off as the they posted a 16-36 record to finish out the season. in 2011, with 67 games remaining, the bucs were sitting at 7 games above .500 (51-44) and in first place. then the wheels came completely off as they posted a 21-46 record to finish out the season.

but this year seems much different, don't you think? pitching is for real, despite the injuries, and mccutchen, martin, marte and alvarez should be able to provided enough offense to keep things going, not at a .630 clip, but above .500 i would think. i'm especially enthused by how tough the bucs have played the cards and reds, they own a combined 9-6 record against them so far. and the brewers and cubbies aren't exactly pushovers - they are playing .500 ball against teams not named the pirates, reds or cards. but against the big three, the brewers are 7-22 and the cubs are 8-20 for a combined record of 15-42.

since the shaky 1-5 start, the bucs have posted a 50-25 (.667) record and, series-wise, have won 16, lost 4, and split 3 - they also have a winning record against 13 of the 15 teams they've faced. anyway, here's a look at how the bucs have done pre/post june 30, from 1990 through 2013. i've highlighted in red the disastrous post june 30 records of the past 6 years, something that i think the bucs can overcome this year. the two columns at the far right show how far above (b=best) and how far below (w=worst) .500 the pirates managed each year - for example, in 1992 the pirates were never below .500; their season high was 32 games above and their season worst was 1 game above. go bucs!

Post subject: Re: The Dreaded Second Half Of The Season
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:06 pm 

I hadn't realized the last bucco team to finish above .500 ball after June 30th was the 1997 team. That seems so long ago. Hopefully the '13 team can capture something similar to the '97 season during second half play. 42 wins would finish them with 93 wins.

Deep down I know they can finish better than that. The Oakland series will tell a lot in my opinion. The battle of two very good small market clubs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:08 am 

Interesting analysis.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:14 am 

I forgot what a kick in the nuts 2011 was. Not that 2012 was pleasant, but man that 2011 team just tanked in a big way after giving a glimmer of hope to us. They had a 2nd half on par with some really bad teams.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:17 am 

How 'bout that 2009 team? 26-58 from July on! That's insanely bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:46 am 
 WWW  Profile

Well. We've got more breathing room this time? Or something?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:44 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
How 'bout that 2009 team? 26-58 from July on! That's insanely bad.

I hated that team. They were built to suck. They were supposed to suck. And they couldn't manage to suck bad enough to get Bryce Harper. It was like watching a Littlefield team who you knew had no chance of winning anything wind up getting you a pick out of the Top 10.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:55 pm 

the thing about the 2009 team is that they were actually competitive from april through july - then they went a whopping 18-41 from august on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:22 pm 

2009 was the major firing sale, seeing the second half numbers isn't really too surprising. The worst part was the confirmation of the Bay trade being a flop based on those final statlines of Moss/Andy LaRoche

The awful-ness of 2010 is still kind of eye-opening, to me. Not because of how terrible the numbers are, but because even as the season went on I never actually thought they were that bad. If the rotation had just been below average as opposed to historically awful the second half actually would have been pretty interesting. It was perhaps the time the "core four" (a completely outdated term now, I know) were clicking the most with the rookie season's Alvarez, Tabata and Walker all had in addition to McCutchen. Of course that was also the year that they realized that Jones needed to platoon as he completely tanked in the second half.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:41 pm 

tprothro wrote:
here's to hoping our guys can continue to play tough down the stretch, something we know they've struggled to do dating back more than a few years. last year was heartbreaking - with 52 games remaining the bucs were sitting at 16 games above .500 (63-47) and trailed the equally red hot reds (who owned the second best record in baseball at the time) by just 2.5 games. then the wheels came completely off as the they posted a 16-36 record to finish out the season. in 2011, with 67 games remaining, the bucs were sitting at 7 games above .500 (51-44) and in first place. then the wheels came completely off as they posted a 21-46 record to finish out the season.

but this year seems much different, don't you think? pitching is for real, despite the injuries, and mccutchen, martin, marte and alvarez should be able to provided enough offense to keep things going, not at a .630 clip, but above .500 i would think. i'm especially enthused by how tough the bucs have played the cards and reds, they own a combined 9-6 record against them so far. and the brewers and cubbies aren't exactly pushovers - they are playing .500 ball against teams not named the pirates, reds or cards. but against the big three, the brewers are 7-22 and the cubs are 8-20 for a combined record of 15-42.

since the shaky 1-5 start, the bucs have posted a 50-25 (.667) record and, series-wise, have won 16, lost 4, and split 3 - they also have a winning record against 13 of the 15 teams they've faced. anyway, here's a look at how the bucs have done pre/post june 30, from 1990 through 2013. i've highlighted in red the disastrous post june 30 records of the past 6 years, something that i think the bucs can overcome this year. the two columns at the far right show how far above (b=best) and how far below (w=worst) .500 the pirates managed each year - for example, in 1992 the pirates were never below .500; their season high was 32 games above and their season worst was 1 game above. go bucs!

As fate would have it, we start the second half against the Phillies who, under Charlie Manuel, have the second-best 2nd half record in baseball. Hope this series represents the begining of reversal of fortunes!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:57 pm 

I guess we'll find out soon enough how good this Pirate team is. If they are going to tank, I would expect it to begin in August...let's hope they can finish strong this time...it's up to the offense IMO...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:39 pm 

What is really amazing is has anyone taken a look at Clint's record as a Pirates manager?

202 Wins, 203 loses.

At the end of this season, Clint will probably be a winning manager record wise for us.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:58 pm 

In order to overcome adversity, one must have faced enough to easily identify it and then make it look easy overcoming it.

These Bucs have faced plenty of adversity these last two seasons alone and should be able to know how to challenge any more head on.

It's easy to be a believer in 'superstition' and 'curses' and 'momentum' and the intangible. Along those lines, this team's confidence/heart/will is equally intangible, but will be on display.

It's very likely that these Bucs have matured. If they have, we will continue to be proud of them for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by NSMaster56 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:06 pm 

http://www.elise.com/q/quotes/arena.htm

My favorite quote. Maybe it somewhat applies to your thoughts about adversity.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:34 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
I guess we'll find out soon enough how good this Pirate team is. If they are going to tank, I would expect it to begin in August...let's hope they can finish strong this time...it's up to the offense IMO...

yep, the bucs have a (ugly) history when it comes to august - september ball:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:37 pm 

Let's stay positive here.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:25 pm 

as good a time as any to update... post-june lookin' a heckuva lot better than past years!