Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What Is It With MLB-TV
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:08 pm 

Yes, I live in Los Angeles, and, yes, I don't have the Extra Innings Package, so I don't get to see the Bucs much unless they play the LA Angels of Passaic or the Dodgers. So, I check my computer during the games to see what's happening, check schedules to see if they are getting any national coverage, and watch MLBTV because they have drop-ins from the stadiums around the country whenever something happens or is about to happen. So, yesterday, I'm watching Baseball Tonight, I think it's called, and the Bucs and the Brewers are in the 13th inning! and at 5PM, MLB....goes to a movie about Babe Ruth, an old, not very good movie in which John Goodman presents a caricature of The Babe. Whatever happened to covering the sport? Whatever happened to watching the end of the game and then "joining regular programming in progress"? For shame!

Post subject: Re: What Is It With MLB-TV
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:25 pm 

I think you're referring to the MLB Network TV channel, not MLB.tv. MLB.tv is the online version of the Extra Innings package where you can stream every game online. I don't have any major issues with MLB Network, I think it's a pretty acceptable alternative to the ESPN-type of sports media out there. The coverage around the league is evenly spread and they don't get favor to only big market teams (did I mention already that it's a good alternative to ESPN?) and some of the personalities are knowledgeable and entertaining while others are not (Harold Reynolds for example). Generally speaking if you watch the main program "MLB Tonight" which airs every night (or afternoon on a day with a lot of afternoon games like Sunday), it's a full 4-5 hours of coverage of every game going on at the time with plenty of live look-ins during key ABs and game moments. They do not however have 24/7 coverage so they do air other baseball-related programming like the move you mentioned. But overall I think it's a pretty nice option to have as I am a fellow out of town fan who only sees a small portion of games.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:34 pm 

Watching Mitch Williams and Harold Reynolds while simultaneously checking Twitter is a great way to kill time. Particularly Keith Law (if you can stomach him).

One day Mitch Williams was talking about relievers these days and mentioned how 52 of his saves were 3 innings or longer during his professional career.....somebody on Twitter fact checked and found out it was actually 0. :lol:

Smoltz, Ripken, and some of the GM types they bring in are really insightful though.

I think they bring Williams and Reynolds in purely to play Devil's Advocate with Brian Kenny and the GM's.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:53 pm 

Buck:

MLB has an agreement with Fox and with ESPN not to broadcast any competing baseball during their game-of-the-week games.

That is why every Saturday at about 4:00 p.m. EST and every Sunday at 8:00 EST, you can see broadcasts of old baseball movies like Babe Ruth (awful movie), Bull Durham (good movie), etc.

And that Babe Ruth movie with Goodman is awful. Here is the Babe when he was young:

Showing the Babe as a really, really fat guy at age 21 was just plain dumb.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:24 pm 

Bucfan is correct. I was referring to the MLB Network which I can get on Directv. And it isn't bad. But to cut away from a game in the 13th inning that features a team that has not been Cinderella in 20 years....well, that's not a good programming choice, IMO. I read somewhere that the Bucs will be on national tv on July 10. Against the A's. Should be a helluva game.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:56 pm 

Buck18 wrote:
But to cut away from a game in the 13th inning that features a team that has not been Cinderella in 20 years....well, that's not a good programming choice, IMO.

If you catch the nightly "MLB Tonight" show I was talking about (which runs every night from something like 5PM to midnight EST), it's all live look-ins to every game around the league the whole show. You won't see interruptions during key moments in that case. Sundays are different since the majority of games are in the afternoon so they cut to other baseball programming like movies later in the day like Bucfan said. So just stick with the daily MLB Tonight and you'll be good.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:59 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Buck:

MLB has an agreement with Fox and with ESPN not to broadcast any competing baseball during their game-of-the-week games.

That is why every Saturday at about 4:00 p.m. EST and every Sunday at 8:00 EST, you can see broadcasts of old baseball movies like Babe Ruth (awful movie), Bull Durham (good movie), etc.

And that Babe Ruth movie with Goodman is awful. Here is the Babe when he was young:

Showing the Babe as a really, really fat guy at age 21 was just plain dumb.

So I'm guessing that the hot dog was invented sometime around Ruth's mid-twenties.