Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Off-Day Musings, Part III
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:19 pm 

On Monday, May 20, your favorite fan of the PBC, J_C_Steel, posted a thread titled "Off-Day Musings." Given the runaway success of that thread (13 responses!), combined with my rather superstitious nature (the Pirates did go 20-12 after my musings), I decided to post a second thread, titled "Off-Day Musings, Part II," on Monday, June 24. Now, on an overcast Thursday here in the District of Columbia, I bring you "Off-Day Musings, Part III" in an attempt to entertain, incite, anger, delight, and annoy. Enjoy! Or not!

For those unfamiliar with my ramblings, here are links to Parts I and II of my Off-Day Musings:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10940

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11168

* Ho-hum. Just your average game in Seattle yesterday for our Buccos, beating a Cy Young winner and (perhaps) best pitcher on the planet Felix Hernandez by trotting out a journeyman sinkerballer (and fellow Venezuelan) who tosses 5 innings of 1-run (unearned) baseball. Neil Walker takes the King deep, Jordy Mercer continues to play the role of "Mr. Clutch," and Mark Melancon gets in and out of a bit of trouble to secure the victory. Raise the Jolly Roger!

* "48-30? 48-30! 48-30." That's what I wrote on a friend's Facebook page after yesterday's win, and I believe the punctuation pretty much conveys my thoughts on the Pirates' record to this point in the season.

* Yes, ladies and gentlemen (and StarlingArcher), the Pittsburgh Pirates currently sport the best record in major league baseball. As Kevin Bacon's character in "A Few Good Men" would say: "These are the facts of the case. And they are undisputed."

* For those who only know me as a brilliant baseball fan (stop chortling), I'm also a big stand-up comedy fan. My favorite of all time is George Carlin (R.I.P.), but my current favorites are Louis C.K., Anthony Jeselnik (from Pittsburgh!), Daniel Tosh, Jim Gaffigan, Amy Schumer, and Pete Holmes. The last guy, Holmes, has a great bit about the best way to ruin a good party. Which makes me want to say: "Oh man, these Pittsburgh Pirates are McDonalds..." Check out the punchline here:

* I read some folks here on the board discussing the great results the Pirates have gotten based on their defensive shifts. And it's true. Here's ESPN970's David Todd on the issue:

Post subject: Re: Off-Day Musings, Part III
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:23 pm 

1. Your daughter is precious.

2. A random observation of my own: Is it just me or are the Mariners the dullest team in baseball?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:30 pm 

You know what is completely McDonald's about the Pirates' season?

I expect them to win, and for good reason.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:33 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
You know what is completely McDonald's about the Pirates' season?

I expect them to win, and for good reason.

Essentially, they're playing 7-inning games. If they have the lead after 7, it's pretty much in the bank. If they're behind, they still believe they can come back. It's ridiculous.

And the scary thing to me is that Cutch and Walker are likely to improve through the summer. Both of those guys will contribute more as the season wears on.

This season is definitely McDonald's...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:34 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
* Now, that's all well and good. But do you really want the Buccos to be ahead of the curve? How about using five infielders when Charlie Morton pitches? The guy has a 64% ground ball rate. Use Marte and Cutch as the two outfielders (both of whom have great range) and throw out Alvarez, Barmes, Mercer, Walker, and Jones/Sanchez as the five infielders. Now that would be one hell of a ballsy experiment.

It certainly would be interesting to see if Cutch and Marte have the speed to perform adequately as a two-man outfield.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:34 pm 

JollyRoger wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
* Now, that's all well and good. But do you really want the Buccos to be ahead of the curve? How about using five infielders when Charlie Morton pitches? The guy has a 64% ground ball rate. Use Marte and Cutch as the two outfielders (both of whom have great range) and throw out Alvarez, Barmes, Mercer, Walker, and Jones/Sanchez as the five infielders. Now that would be one hell of a ballsy experiment.

It certainly would be interesting to see if Cutch and Marte have the speed to perform adequately as a two-man outfield.

Wouldn't that be an amazing game to watch? It would be riveting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:58 pm 

The best video clip to describe the first 78 games of the Pittsburgh Pirates' 2013 campaign:

Thank you, Bill Murray.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:03 pm 

From CBS Sports:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/2253 ... way-so-far

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:07 pm 

Tomorrow's starter for Brewers, Johnny Hellweg. He's making his first big league appearance. He was drafted by the Angels out of CC in Florida, 16th round, traded to Milwaukee in the Greinke trade. He's tall, 6'8", throws hard sitting in the upper 90's with a slider and changeup. His fastball has late running action that gets him a high number of ground balls. He's a strikeout pitcher but struggles at times with command. He received his call to the bigs due to better command his last few starts at triple A ball. He is the Brewers number 3 prospect at 24 years of age.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:10 pm 

buccosfan77 wrote:
Tomorrow's starter for Brewers, Johnny Hellweg. He's making his first big league appearance. He was drafted by the Angels out of CC in Florida, 16th round, traded to Milwaukee in the Greinke trade. He's tall, 6'8", throws hard sitting in the upper 90's with a slider and changeup. His fastball has late running action that gets him a high number of ground balls. He's a strikeout pitcher but struggles at times with command. He received his call to the bigs due to better command his last few starts at triple A ball. He is the Brewers number 3 prospect at 24 years of age.

And if the past is indicative of the future, he will throw a three hitter at us with 12 Ks. Some things never change! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:44 pm 

Corsair wrote:
And if the past is indicative of the future, he will throw a three hitter at us with 12 Ks. Some things never change! :lol:

But the guy is an actual prospect with good upside, so maybe he does not qualify for the STBHOF list, and the Pirates light him up?

Seriously, though, the Pirates hit well against hard-throwing right-handers. It is the nibblers and the offspeed that gives their hitters so much trouble.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:19 pm 

Sportspickle founder, ESPN writer, and Pittsburgh native D.J. Gallo penned a column on the Pirates today as well:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/ ... rom-a-to-z

Some fun stuff in there.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:57 pm 

Corsair wrote:
2. A random observation of my own: Is it just me or are the Mariners the dullest team in baseball?

If not the dullest, one of the most pathetic/pitiful/miserable.

Somehow, despite committing to rebuilding and following a similar timeline to NH's plan, they're closer to the 2008-10 Bucs.

If not for the Seahawks, Seattle would be the clear 'most depressing sports city'.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:28 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
If not for the Seahawks, Seattle would be the clear 'most depressing sports city'.

What about the Supersonics, who .... ooooohhhhhh, I get it.