Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lambo
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:50 pm 

Just cranked his 20th homer of the year moments ago in Indy. Is it time? Will that make too many lefties in Hurdle's lineup? Trading piece?

Post subject: Re: Lambo
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:53 pm 

With Presley ahead of him in the general pecking order, you probably won't see him until September. Definitely a possible call-up at that time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:01 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
With Presley ahead of him in the general pecking order, you probably won't see him until September. Definitely a possible call-up at that time.

He might get the nod over Presley if Jones something were to happen to Jones.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:04 pm 

I'd give him another 2-3 weeks before considering it probably, just to give the league time to adjust to him and see how he handles it. He has a pretty high K rate this year relative to his career numbers and in AA had a low BB rate....so I guess in that sense he'd fit right in.

I'm thinking the Pirates should wind up with a 40-man spot open, I can't see how they don't 60-day DL J-Mac after the Andrews consultation and how he got bombed in AAA. Just get him to Pirate City and try to straighten him out.

Biggest issue is probably Snider not having options and he and Lambo kind of being redundant together.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:34 pm 

Ideally he would stay in Indy until at least September. But we don't have anybody playing right field who is hitting.

After many years of struggles, he now looks like an impact bat. I don't know if he got off the weed, on the juice, neither or both, or just grew up. But something is clicking for him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:56 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Ideally he would stay in Indy until at least September. But we don't have anybody playing right field who is hitting.

After many years of struggles, he now looks like an impact bat. I don't know if he got off the weed, on the juice, neither or both, or just grew up. But something is clicking for him.

Those things all probably help. Being 24 likely doesn't hurt either. He'd always been young for levels...now he's age appropriate and maybe starting to have everything click physically and mentally as well.

He's been on the radar for a long time, but he's still a young guy relative to most in his development. Kinda why I refuse to give up on Snider or Tabata yet, either.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:24 pm 

doug frobel wrote:
Is it time? Will that make too many lefties in Hurdle's lineup? Trading piece?

Dang good question.

Tabata/Snider/Presley aren't set in stone out in RF. While still fairly young, they've pretty much never caught up to their potential.

And while you'd hate to see Lambo become Brandon Moss (or even Rajai Davis) 2.0, packaging him in a trade while at his peak value could net something very useful in return.

One could see NH go either way on this one and not really blame him for either call.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:24 pm 

Feel like I'm just repeating what I said about Lambo earlier today in the Manny thread but I don't think it would be realistic to anticipate a promotion until at least after July, if at all. While his HR totals in such a short time in AAA are great (not to mention kind of shocking considering his minor league career norms), he has still just got his feet wet in that league. Not being dismissive of what he did in AA this year prior, the rebound he has had after the injury is great. I did not have much hope left for him at all coming into this season. If he keeps that kind of statline and power numbers up it could be one of the biggest surprises in the system this year. And to think, a guy like this was acquired because we rolled the dice on letting someone like an aging Octavio Dotel handle closing duties for half of a season.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:17 pm 

I'm not sure about this, but I think I read somewhere that Lambo becomes a minor league free agent after this year. That's one reason to add him to the 40-man and give him a September call-up if he keeps hitting well at Indy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:23 pm 

Lambo's hitting has been very good, and he has not lost a whit since moving up to AAA.

In AAA, he is hitting .283/.362/.667, with 8 BB's and 16 K's in 70 plate appearances. The K rate of 22.8% is encouraging.

Further, he has 5 2B's, 6 HR's, 18 RBI's in AAA. He is just 24 years old right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:00 pm 

The Bucs could have their own "Lambo Field" in right field.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:48 pm 
 WWW  Profile

doug frobel wrote:

I could get used to that! Good work!

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:44 am 

Could the stars be aligning........................ :) :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:59 am 

doug frobel wrote:

:lol: Will great catches in right field be known as "Lambo Leaps?"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:42 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Lambo's hitting has been very good, and he has not lost a whit since moving up to AAA.

In AAA, he is hitting .283/.362/.667, with 8 BB's and 16 K's in 70 plate appearances. The K rate of 22.8% is encouraging.

Further, he has 5 2B's, 6 HR's, 18 RBI's in AAA. He is just 24 years old right now.

One of my friends was a manager for the Clemson baseball team for the past two years. He had a conversation with one of the graduate assistants (who was in the Pirates' system for a bit and made it to AAA with the Padres, the name escapes me though) who said that the jump from AA to AAA is much easier than any other jump in the minors. Using that logic it follows that Lambo should continue hitting well in AAA.

It would be a pleasant surprise if he could turn into a 4th OF type in the MLB, especially considering the OF depth in the lower minors (namely Polanco and Bell).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:49 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
doug frobel wrote:

I could get used to that! Good work!

As a Packers fan, I would have presumed you would be the one person on the board to NOT appreciate that....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:53 pm 

Everyone's favorite curmudgeon, Bob Smizik, would like to see the Bucs give Lambo a shot in right field...

http://communityvoices.post-gazette.com ... ight-field

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:03 pm 

Considering Lambo's age, size, speed, and recent success, I think you have to consider him as a potential everyday player at this point. Polanco is well behind in develpment, and Bell well behind that.

Snider, Tabata, and Presley all look like no better than platoon players to me, maybe not even that. So we definitely have an opportunity.

Of course Neil may very well go outside the organization for his right fielder, something I was advocating before Lambo started mashing homers in AAA.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:49 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Everyone's favorite curmudgeon, Bob Smizik, would like to see the Bucs give Lambo a shot in right field...

http://communityvoices.post-gazette.com ... ight-field

Smizik mentions that Lambo was Baseball America's #49 prospect back in early 2009 - which many likely know. What may interest some is how aggressively LA promoted him in his teen years - which, along with possible drug issues, may have been a big factor in his decline from super-prospect status.

At the age of 18, Lambo hit .343 with a .960 OPS in rookie ball in the Gulf Coast League. So LA double-jumped him to full season A ball at the age of 19, where he hit .288 with a .807 OPS as one of the league's youngest players. After playing well there, they double-jumped him again in the same season - up to AA - for the final 10 days. In a 38-AB AA cameo, he put up a 1.171 OPS. He was reportedly the youngest player in AA at that point. In total, he hit 18 HR's for that year.

So they kept him at AA level to start the next year - likely the youngest player at that level at the time. Then, as most of you know, he stalled out at AA - unti now. I wonder how much of this was due to being promoted way too aggressively instead of learning his craft one step at a time. But now, at Age 24, he is age-appropriate for a AAA player - and he may be showing that the skills he displayed in 2008 haven't completely disappeared.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:17 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Considering Lambo's age, size, speed, and recent success, I think you have to consider him as a potential everyday player at this point.

I have to agree. A player who hits 20 HR's in the Eastern League and IL, and not the PCL, at age 24 is a legit power hitter.

Ralphie wrote:
Polanco is well behind in develpment, ...

Here is where we disagree. Polanco is in AA and doing well.

If he finishes the year in AA, he very likely starts 2014 in AAA - i.e., a level above where Lambo started this year.