Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Random Thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:13 pm 
 WWW  Profile

-I get a feeling the Pirates will be on the cover of Sports Illustrated very soon. If this happens I may go out and purchase every issue I can find. I'll then go into a deep depression with concerns over the SI cover jinx.

-The day off on Monday and tomorrow have come at a great time. I think the bullpen is getting some good rest. It seems like the team really bonds on their off days as well.

-I'm really looking forward to the Oakland series coming up early next month.

-The Pirates are 8.5 games ahead in the Wild Card standings. Let that sink in for a bit.

-My training for the Chicago Marathon starts today. This is going to suck.

-Work has brought me to Omaha for my 2nd stint in this fair city. I'll miss Chicago but I made a ton of good friends there and will always have great memories. I'm much closer to family and actually have a vehicle again!

-47-30...unreal.

#19 Oklahoma Sooners (5-2) at Iowa State Cyclones (2-5)
November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA
11:00 AM Fox Sports 1

Post subject: Re: Random Thoughts
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:25 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
-The Pirates are 8.5 games ahead in the Wild Card standings. Let that sink in for a bit.

Start doing the math if the Pirates can play 43-42 ball the rest of the way and what other teams have to do to catch them. Then take a peek at how many teams will consider themselves to "be in wildcard chase" and how many times that they have to play one another.

If that doesn't get your blood pumping fast, you weren't alive when Bream scored in 1992.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:26 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

Start doing the math if the Pirates can play 43-42 ball the rest of the way and what other teams have to do to catch them. Then take a peek at how many teams will consider themselves to "be in wildcard chase" and how many times that they have to play one another.

If that doesn't get your blood pumping fast, you weren't alive when Bream scored in 1992.

I was thinking that, too. If the Bucs get to 90 wins, it'll be very difficult for them not to be in the [word that rhymes with "tradeoffs"]. Man...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:40 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:

My next question then is "why do it?"..........That is like a 6 month process.... :? :? :?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:49 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Az Bucco fan wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

My next question then is "why do it?"..........That is like a 6 month process.... :? :? :?

It's kind of a personal challenge to myself. I've done a couple of half-marathons and they are dreadful. Once I do this (and finish) I'll never do another. As time gets closer I'll post my bib number so you guys can track my progress in real-time. If I don't hit a check point something went terribly wrong with my body!

November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:40 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

It's kind of a personal challenge to myself. I've done a couple of half-marathons and they are dreadful. Once I do this (and finish) I'll never do another. As time gets closer I'll post my bib number so you guys can track my progress in real-time. If I don't hit a check point something went terribly wrong with my body!

Good luck with IA. I've run upwards of twenty of these things so if you ever have any training questions or anything feel free to hit me up.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:17 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
--I'm really looking forward to the Oakland series coming up early next month.

-47-30...unreal.

Me too, I have had this one circled on the mental calendar for quite some time. Especially if Oakland is still in first place. I could just about see three mid week, near sellouts. The City will be jumping. I think it will be a good test.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:14 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

I was only six, but my blood is still pumping fast because I'm just so jazzed that this may finally be for real.

(And even if it's not, it's a helluva ride! :D )

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:03 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

Good Luck, running a marathon is such an awesome goal, I'd like to get in one sometime.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:41 am 

Not me...Mrs. AZBF has done several...I greet her at the finish line...best story was when she bought new NIKE shorts and the tag was on the side and she wore them backwards for the first 7 miles....chafing...I will leave it at that.... 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:32 am 

If the Pirates play .500 baseball for the remainder of the year, they will win 90 games.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:58 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
If the Pirates play .500 baseball for the remainder of the year, they will win 90 games.

We need to stop that kind of talk, right now. We were doing a lot of it last year, and while I am far from superstitious, we all saw that we far exceeded our worst expectations. Don't jinx us now...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:18 pm 

what gets me excited is they are playing well. They have not gotten to this point because of luck or any weird stuff. They are flat out beating other teams( and good ones at that)

also cutch has not gotten hot yet either when he does he'll carry them for 9 out of 10 wins

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:03 pm 

val wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

We need to stop that kind of talk, right now. We were doing a lot of it last year, and while I am far from superstitious, we all saw that we far exceeded our worst expectations. Don't jinx us now...

Val's right.

Enough with this 'go .500 down the stretch' talk.

If the Bucs can win 52 of their last 84 games they can win 100 games!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:03 am 
 WWW  Profile

IA Pirate wrote:
-I get a feeling the Pirates will be on the cover of Sports Illustrated very soon. If this happens I may go out and purchase every issue I can find. I'll then go into a deep depression with concerns over the SI cover jinx.

BOOM!!!!

November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA

Last edited by IA Pirate on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:16 am 
 WWW  Profile

There it is!

Why does JC keep saying that this team is going to make the Madoffs and does this issue affect that?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:14 am 
 WWW  Profile

Me running a marathon would end up like Doug on King of Queens.
Fetal position on the side of the road.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8R7tFMVlIA

FIL Pirates Fan Page

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:21 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:

-The day off on Monday and tomorrow have come at a great time. I think the bullpen is getting some good rest. It seems like the team really bonds on their off days as well.

-I'm really looking forward to the Oakland series coming up early next month.

-Work has brought me to Omaha for my 2nd stint in this fair city. I'll miss Chicago but I made a ton of good friends there and will always have great memories. I'm much closer to family and actually have a vehicle again!

-47-30...unreal.

Good luck on the marathon. Don't slip on the finish line and crack your head. :D