Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Article About Why The Pirates Should Sign Manny
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:47 pm 

I don't think you bring him here at all. He's 41, was using PED's the last time he played, isn't a good fielder, and brings a media circus with him.

http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/m ... h-pirates/

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Article About Why The Pirates Should Sign Manny
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:54 pm 

Honestly, I don't think this is such a crazy idea. This is a need. A right handed bat with power. The question is can he except the role?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:03 pm 

Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:09 pm 

Bucfan wrote:

Fixed. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:17 am 

Bucfan wrote:
Pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass.

I would say pass to the googoolth power.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:36 am 

nad69dan wrote:
I don't think you bring him here at all. He's 41, was using PED's the last time he played, isn't a good fielder, and brings a media circus with him.

/

Agree completely - except your description is too kind to Manny. When he last played a regular MLB season - which was in 2010 - he was a butcher in the field and had a terrible attitude. Even if he could still hit a little, he would be limited to being a pinch hitter. Oh yeah, they could also DH him the next time they play in an AL park - which is three games in September.

If the only two choices were another Brandon Inge or Manny, I'd rather bring in another Brandon Inge, as bad as that sounds.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:38 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:05 am 

No Thank You

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:05 am 

To be what, a bench bat? Guy who couldn't play the field when he was in his 20's, let alone in his 40's. Guy who is broken down physically. Guy who is multi-time busted and suspended for PED use. Guy who baseball is basically rid of. What about that is better than practically ANY other option?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:36 am 

I would MUCH rather see the Pirates trade for Josh Willingham or Alex Rios, even if it costs some decent prospects.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:50 am 

Definitely wouldn't consider Ramirez.

I may be jumping the gun a bit but we may have our right field upgrade sitting down on the farm in the form of Andrew Lambo. The guy continues to rake, has 19 homers, one every 15 at bats this year, and can run a bit. Turns 25 in August.

He's left-handed but Tabata should be back soon to help out on that side.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:53 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
I may be jumping the gun a bit but we may have our right field upgrade sitting down on the farm in the form of Andrew Lambo. The guy continues to rake, has 19 homers, one every 15 at bats this year, and can run a bit. Turns 25 in August.

If Lambo continues to put up a statline similar to what he had previously done in AA this year it'll be interesting to see if he gets a late season promotion. The 5 HRs already hit in AAA per 55 ABs is kind of shocking compared to his long minor league career norms but is obviously a continuation of the power he was previously showing in AA. He was obviously always young enough to still turn it around but the rebound after the injury definitely took me surprised, I had pretty much lost all faith coming into this season. Thank you Octavio Dotel.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:21 pm 
 WWW  Profile

TheShark wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

If Lambo continues to put up a statline similar to what he had previously done in AA this year it'll be interesting to see if he gets a late season promotion. The 5 HRs already hit in AAA per 55 ABs is kind of shocking compared to his long minor league career norms but is obviously a continuation of the power he was previously showing in AA. He was obviously always young enough to still turn it around but the rebound after the injury definitely took me surprised, I had pretty much lost all faith coming into this season. Thank you Octavio Dotel.

Maybe he finally quit smoking....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:42 pm 

Why pick up an old washed up player. That's what the old pirates would do. Besides manny always had an attitude anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:17 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
I would MUCH rather see the Pirates trade for Josh Willingham or Alex Rios, even if it costs some decent prospects.

This.

Depending on how much of the cost the Twins/Sox would cover and what prospects the Bucs would have to give up, landing an actual productive player who isn't 'over the hill' and who doesn't have a history of distractions seems like the better move.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:32 pm 

Is there any team that would take Manny. He was a fine hitter, but that was years ago. I cannot believe any team would take him, even for spot duty. He's just not worth the risk.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:33 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Rochester wrote:
TheShark wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

LOL. I posted this in the Lambo article I thought. Sorry Manny! Wrong drug!

Maybe he finally quit smoking....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:24 pm 

While we are at it, why not sign Barry Bonds too! He was a great Buc!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:01 pm 

That's even too much for Chuck Barris, no way.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:11 pm 

Josh Willingham is hitting .211 as we speak. Those bats are not worth giving up prospects for....JMHO 8-) 8-)