Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: DK Admits He Was Wrong About Martin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:53 pm 

I thought this would've been posted here first thing this morning...

http://triblive.com/sports/dejankovacev ... z2X4BOVpep

Kovacevic: Mistakes ... I’ve made a few

Hey, no one's perfect.

I mean, if Jason Grilli could serve up that gopher ball the other night in Cincinnati, if Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin could be blanked by the Bruins, if Mike Tomlin once opened up his weekly news conference with two words other than “Good afternoon,” that pretty much excuses all of us for every misfire, mistake and miscalculation, right?

No?

Sports columnists can't ever mess up?

Every pick, every piece of punditry has to play out precisely to the letter?

OK, then, in that spirit, here's a collection of my own opinions gone awry in this past year, something I can only hope will not become a recurring feature ...

On Nov. 29, I wrote of the Pirates signing Russell Martin for two years and $17 million: “Let's not pretend this transaction was anything other than an overpriced desperation move that's going to hurt the Pirates in more ways than one.”

Oh, baby. Even tossed in a Dave Littlefield/Matt Morris reference there, though only to compare the imperiled management situations.

Martin is swinging well — .257 average, .356 on-base, eight home runs, including two huge hits in the astounding comeback Sunday in Anaheim — but his handling of baseball's most surprising pitching staff and of the opponents' running game has been nothing shy of masterful.

To date, he's been worth every penny.

On Dec. 30, covering the Steelers' finale, I singled out a certain outside linebacker for having contributed “a grand total of four sacks, none in his final 204 snaps,” and added, “No one, not any player or coach or executive, let down these 2012 Steelers more than one LaMarr Dewayne Woodley.”

I'll stand by that, actually. But I'll happily revisit the premise if what Woodley told me at minicamp pans out. He aims a full return to being one of the NFL's preeminent pass rushers and to put himself in the best shape possible to make that happen.

“You'll see,” he said.

Would love to.

On April 27, a couple days before the Stanley Cup playoffs, I penned a column entitled: “Heat on Bylsma? Uh, no.” It described a strongly held view by the Penguins' front office that Dan Bylsma's job would be safe even in the event of another early exit.

That obviously proved accurate, given the extension granted Bylsma right after a Boston series in which Claude Julien badly outdueled him.

But let's not hide behind a correct outcome: The Penguins' higher-ups, meaning higher than Ray Shero, were upset and did weigh Bylsma's future before backing Shero's call.

Bylsma had better not press his luck.

On April 21, in expressing concern about the Pirates' pitching depth, I shared the following bit of brilliance: “Jeff Locke has big-league smarts but still hasn't shown the big-league stuff to match.”

Now he just might be showing that stuff in the All-Star Game.

Mercy, please.

On June 2, I was dismissive of Boston goaltender Tuukka Rask, who I saw as having a lot less to do with the Penguins' lack of scoring than their own unwillingness to skate within a hemisphere of his crease: “Rask isn't nearly as good as they've made him look.”

That, of course, wasn't fair. Rask's been very good.

At the same time, it takes no more than a cursory video review to count that a whopping nine of the Blackhawks' 14 goals in the final have come via traffic, deflections and/or rebounds.

Compared to zero of the Penguins' two goals vs. Boston.

Last one's my favorite ...

On April 23, three days before the Steelers drafted Michigan State's Le'Veon Bell, I wrote: “Is there any No. 1 running back in the house? Not if you've heard how Tomlin has outwardly dumped on Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman this offseason.”

It's true that the coach has been tough on his backs. But Dwyer in particular doesn't think he's out, judging by a rather spirited exchange of texts we had this weekend.

“The only thing I'm thinking about is being the starting running back for the Pittsburgh Steelers,” Dwyer said. “This is my job. This is how I take care of my wife and son. They're going to have to drag me off the field for me to give up my job. I'm ready, physically and mentally, to be one of the best in the league.”

Good for him. I like Dwyer, both as a hit-the-hole back and as one whale of a determined individual.

And he's right: He will be the Steelers' starting back Sept. 8 vs. Tennessee.

I'm sure you'll let us both know how that turns out.

Post subject: Re: DK Admits He Was Wrong About Martin
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:04 pm 

So, uh, no one's gonna comment on DK owning up to making mistakes?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:14 pm 

I saw the comment, and liked the fact that he admitted to a rather significant misstatement.

I would give him more credit, however, if he had not deleted the comments, and did not delete posts that pointed out his mistake, and ban tweets that take exception with his analysis of the Pirates.

I suspect that his column is due in part to the significant number of comments on message boards and tweets, pointing out some of DK's errors and response to criticism.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:17 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
I would give him more credit, however, if he had not deleted the comments, and did not delete posts that pointed out his mistake, and ban tweets that take exception with his analysis of the Pirates.

Do you actually know that it was DK who deleted the comments and posts that pointed out his mistake? Because I don't.

Bucfan wrote:
I suspect that his column is due in part to the significant number of comments on message boards and tweets, pointing out some of DK's errors and response to criticism.

That's speculation. I guess you're discounting the idea that he might just be the kind of guy who's accountable for what he's written.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:25 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Do you actually know that it was DK who deleted the comments and posts that pointed out his mistake? Because I don't.

Yeah, I guess that I believed it to be the case since a lot of his comments are still available, and presumed that DK made the decision to delete. Also, I have not seen any comment where he denied making the decision as to what to delete, so I am not operating in a vacuum here.

J_C_Steel wrote:
That's speculation. I guess you're discounting the idea that he might just be the kind of guy who's accountable for what he's written.

See above.

I also note that he added in a few "See, I'm right" quotations. Plus, there is a large contingent of Pittsburgh sports fans who are repeating the Martin comment, including on his blog (before they get deleted), so DK knows this issue is out there.

But for the rather strident refusal by some Pirates fans to forget the comment, I am somewhat dubious as to the likelihood that he offers his mea culpa.

But again, I am offering my "take," and not trying to pass it off as fact. My thoughts on this issue are in keeping with a lot of other Pirates fans, so I don't believe I am being unreasonable here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:56 pm 

Read the column. Twice.

I found it confusing that . . . after claiming that he's just a sports writer and then taking a veiled swipe at the notion that his punditry has to "play out to the letter" . . . he cites to 6 separate instances of where he claims to have made mistakes but 3 of those situations aren't really mistakes and he defends his position.

Overall, I thought it was a strange piece and I'm not sure why he penned it.

I am aware that the T-R recently deleted the Twitter accounts of Biertempfl, Sawchik and Kovacevic's on its webpage. Looks like it was a policy decision. I find the timing is curious in that Kovacevic's twitter battles with readers had grown more sarcastic and nasty recently. I'm not sure that the T-R wanted to be "selling" that on its web page and Kovacevic went to great lengths to try to separate what he wrote for the newspaper and what he tweeted.

As I once wrote to IA Pirate, I could care less if he admits to being right, wrong or somewhere in-between. It won't change my opinion that his views are deeply influenced by his personal feelings towards Huntington and Coonelly and, to a lesser extent, Nutting. It is also my opinion that he allows his dislike for many Pirate bloggers to invade his views and writings. The latest evidence of that - IMO - involved his article and numerous tweets designed to downplay Pittsburgh's response to Cole's debut.

Its a new world out there. Previously, writers were fairly insulated from reader's comments (exception being letters to the editor). Now they are subject to instantaneous commentary. IMO, he hasn't reacted well to the criticism that he's received. Sort of like the old cliche - he can dish it out but he can't take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:58 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Read the column. Twice.

I found it confusing that . . . after claiming that he's just a sports writer and then taking a veiled swipe at the notion that his punditry has to "play out to the letter" . . . he cites to 6 separate instances of where he claims to have made mistakes but 3 of those situations aren't really mistakes and he defends his position.

I am aware that the T-R recently deleted the Twitter accounts of Biertempfl, Sawchik and Kovacevic's on its webpage. Looks like it was a policy decision. I find the timing is curious in that Kovacevic's twitter battles with readers had grown more sarcastic and nasty recently. I'm not sure that the T-R wanted to be "selling" that on its web page and Kovacevic went to great lengths to try to separate what he wrote for the newspaper and what he tweeted.

As I once wrote to IA Pirate, I could care less if he admits to being right, wrong or somewhere in-between. It won't change my opinion that his views are deeply influenced by his personal feelings towards Huntington and Coonelly and, to a lesser extent, Nutting. It is also my opinion that he allows his dislike for many Pirate bloggers to invade his views and writings. The latest evidence of that - IMO - involved his article and numerous tweets designed to downplay Pittsburgh's response to Cole's debut.

Its a new world out there. Previously, writers were fairly insulated from reader's comments (exception being letters to the editor). Now they are subject to instantaneous commentary. IMO, he hasn't reacted well to the criticism that he's received. Sort of like the old cliche - he can dish it out but he can't take it.

Spot on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:01 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
I also note that he added in a few "See, I'm right" quotations.

You wrote this as I was writing my comment. Just strange that . . . in a column supposedly designed to be about his mistakes . . . he concludes that he was actually correct in several of the instances. The whole column seemed to be . . . forced.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:35 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Read the column. Twice.

I've defended him here more than once, but not this time. I had to chuckle as I read the column. As stated many of his "mistakes" he defended and cited as correct, making the title of his column...um...confusing???

Reading his stuff as far back as the old message board it is clear he doesn't like being taken to task on his opinions, and rarely admits he could be wrong. He reminds me of the alcoholic or addict that has to go to rehab 6 times before it works...maybe it will just take a little more time to fix his problem!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:05 am 

Wow. DK just can't win with you guys. You say he won't own up to a mistake, he does, and then you question his motivation.

The only part of the article dealing with the Pirates involved an unequivocal acknowledgement that he was wrong:

Martin is swinging well — .257 average, .356 on-base, eight home runs, including two huge hits in the astounding comeback Sunday in Anaheim — but his handling of baseball's most surprising pitching staff and of the opponents' running game has been nothing shy of masterful.

That's clear. I don't see a lot of sportswriters penning columns in which they dig up a prior prediction and note that they were totally wrong. But hey, keep on hatin'. I still enjoy reading his columns and his blog, and he's still the best Pittsburgh sportswriter by a good margin.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:29 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Wow. DK just can't win with you guys. You say he won't own up to a mistake, he does, and then you question his motivation.

The only part of the article dealing with the Pirates involved an unequivocal acknowledgement that he was wrong:

That's clear. I don't see a lot of sportswriters penning columns in which they dig up a prior prediction and note that they were totally wrong. But hey, keep on hatin'. I still enjoy reading his columns and his blog, and he's still the best Pittsburgh sportswriter by a good margin.

Seriously?
You post an article. When no one responds, you practically beg for people to post a reaction.
And when they do, you complain? You accuse the responders of "hatin'?" Again . . . YOU asked for people's reactions. You got the reaction.

Sorry that the persons who responded to your second post didn't fall all over themselves with gushing praise for the article.

For what its worth . . . I've read many a sports writer who acknowledges that he/she has been wrong. I've heard sports personalities on TV and radio admit it as well. Yet, if Skip Bayless admits that he has been wrong about Tim Tebow possessing the ability to be a superior QB in the NFL, it won't change my opinion that he's a pompous, dismissive, know-it-all who views others as intellectually inferior. Similarly, if Keith Law admits that he missed on his evaluation of a top prospect, I'll still consider him to be an arrogant ass because of how he addresses those who don't agree with him. Bob Smizik has, from time-to-time, admitted that he was wrong. He's still, in my view, a blustering bag of wind.

For me, its not about whether a sports writer, reporter or analyst is accurate 100% of the time. Its the manner in which the message is delivered and the manner in which that person interacts with others.

Finally, I'll point out that it was you that accused me of being obsessed with Kovacevic . . .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:39 pm 

If we add up the threads on this board started by us about DK, No. 9, you're leading me by a country mile.

As for soliciting opinions, yes, I did. And I'm fine that people voiced their opinions. I'm also fine with people giving DK absolutely no credit for admitting that he was 100% wrong about Russell Martin. That's their choice. But choosing to focus on non-baseball-related stuff and projecting less-than-savory motivations to the guy? Well, that's fine, but I do qualify that as "hatin'" under the urban dictionary definition.

(WARNING: The following Playa Hatas Ball sketch from Chappelle's Show is definitely NSFW)

Anyway, your other examples of sportswriters admitting they were wrong are culled from oral statements or during chats. You don't see a columnist actually pen a column about his or her mistakes very often. To me, that act, in itself, is praiseworthy. Especially when so many people here accused DK of "deleting" his column about Martin from the Trib website to avoid criticism. Well, he quotes that article in the above piece.

As for DK's interactions with sports fans, I've tweeted back and forth him, exchanged emails, and participated in chats with the guy, and "the manner in which" he delivers his message and interacts with me has been completely professional and enhanced by understanding and enjoyment of sports. I believe most others share that opinion, given the number of people who read his columns, follow him on Twitter, and participate in his chats/call-in shows.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:41 pm 

J_C - I am not very interested in DK's observations about the Pirates, and have not been for some time.

I had not read the blurb before you posted.

Yes, he acknowledged a mistake but every sentient being on the planet knew of the mistake before DK's column, and the fact that the blog where the epic "signing Russell Martin is equal to the Matt Morris trade" missive was located had been deleted was a source of some derision of DK.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:43 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
J_C - I am not very interested in DK's observations about the Pirates, and have not been for some time.

I understand that, Bucfan. I still think he makes a lot of good points about the team, regardless of his motivation (which I don't know and won't venture to discuss).

Bucfan wrote:
Yes, he acknowledged a mistake but every sentient being on the planet knew of the mistake before DK's column, and the fact that the blog where the epic "signing Russell Martin is equal to the Matt Morris trade" missive was located had been deleted was a source of some derision of DK.

I posted about this before and no one has ever submitted an iota of evidence suggesting that DK removed that column from the Trib website. Claiming that he did so is, in my opinion, a disservice to the man. And the above column quotes the "Matt Morris trade" missive. I'd say we can put the little deletion rumor to rest.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:44 pm 

The Martin thing is the only example in the article where he truly admits to being wrong. And it wasn't just that statement. For months, he couldn't get past .211, as if that was the only evidence available to evaluate Martin.

As others have noted, if his true intent was to own up to examples of where his opinion was wrong, this was a very poor attempt.

He took a better job. More money and less work. Good for him. But his stature has fallen, as has his professionalism.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:48 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
But his stature has fallen, as has his professionalism.

His "stature" has definitely risen, actually, given the increase in his readership, the increase in his followers on Twitter, the discussion of his work nationally and internationally (his column about Pittsburgh being the "mecca" of hockey was discussed by ESPN and all over Canada), and the fact that he's now able to opine on multiple sports.

As for his professionalism, as I noted, he's been completely professional in all interactions with me and those I've witnessed. A columnist, however, is paid to give opinions, some of which will be controversial. That will p*ss off some folks. And that's fine; part of the job. I just don't see it as "unprofessional" if I don't agree with his opinion or the facts upon which he bases that opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:52 pm 

I went back and read the original column. In the reply section following the article, a fan calls him out about his angle regarding attendance when Cole first pitched. He claimed he hadn't written anything about attendance either this year or last. The fan then posts his quotes regarding the 8,000 walkup fans that attended Cole's first start. :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:53 pm 

After reading that, I'm just shocked that in a column about things he's been "wrong" on (but not really wrong it was just to say stupid and he looked like a fool for a bit but then ultimately turned out being right) he only had one thing to say about the Pirates. He's got a Brandon Inge-esque batting average going on his "objective assessments" over the past year and a half.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:55 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I went back and read the original column. In the reply section following the article, a fan calls him out about his angle regarding attendance when Cole first pitched. He claimed he hadn't written anything about attendance either this year or last. The fan then posts his quotes regarding the 8,000 walkup fans that attended Cole's first start. :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

He didn't write anything about that. He tweeted about it. DK has long said that he separates his columns from his tweets/blog.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:56 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

He also got snippy with Fangraphs on Twitter saying he was afraid to post opinions now without Fangraphs telling him if it was okay to have. Sorry, but when your opinion is that blatantly wrong and careless, you have no room to get all offended when people blow it out of the water with numbers, trends, and comparisons.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next