Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Most Hated
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:41 pm 

So which MLB team or rival of the Pirates do you hate the most?

I'll always have a special kind of hatred for the Brewers and I don't see that fading anytime soon.

But The Reds are gaining on them. Brandon Phillips' arrogance, Chapman's headhunting, Dusty Baker being a cocky schmuck.

What say you?

Post subject: Re: Most Hated
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:45 pm 

Brewers are really the only one. I couldn't stand the Fielder/Braun era and that is now further fueled by knowing about Braun's PED use.

The obnoxiousness of Cubs fans has died down considerably the last five years ago when the team did a nosedive so now they're just kind of there. Their fans used to be the worst in the entire league, not just division.

Fine with everyone else, even the Reds, though I do agree re: Chapman.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:48 pm 

Braves

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:31 pm 

Brewers.

Hate Phillips and Chapman but Todd Frazier and Joey Votto are awesome for the Reds. My animosity towards Bruce has subsided (it was a really immature grudge, based on him being the more touted prospect over Cutch :oops: ). I think Dusty is a terrible manager so can't root against him too much.

Loathed Tony LaRussa with the Cards but now that he's gone it's a franchise that's really difficult not to respect.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:39 pm 

I don't hate any team in any sport. And I don't really hate any set of fans, either. I have too many good friends who are Redskins, Lakers and Man Utd fans to hate any given subset.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:48 pm 

Brewers and Braves mostly. The Reds are getting there with their antics. Never really cared for the Phillies, either.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:07 pm 

Easy question for Bucfan:

ANY team playing against the Buccos.

Seriously, I work up animosity towards freaking Seattle when they are playing the Pirates.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:58 pm 

VanSlick wrote:
So which MLB team or rival of the Pirates do you hate the most?

I'll always have a special kind of hatred for the Brewers and I don't see that fading anytime soon.

But The Reds are gaining on them. Brandon Phillips' arrogance, Chapman's headhunting, Dusty Baker being a cocky schmuck.

What say you?

The Yankees, first, last, and always the Yankees.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:48 pm 

Braves for sure. Reds are getting higher on my list. Mets, remember late 80s early 90s battles. Phillies.

Indians because I hate everything Cleveland.

Reds is an old rivalry.big red machine vs the lumber company. Pirates and reds played in nlcs in 1970, 1972, 1975, 1979, and 1990. 1979 was only year we beat them. 1972 was just like 1992. Reds went to the world series on a bob moose wild pitch.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:10 pm 

I thought this was just about the division. Obviously then you can add NYY and Boston to my list (which I guess was just the Brewers). I can't really think of anyone else who I actively dislike for anything other than irrational reasons.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:34 pm 

I hate the Cardinals just because they are so consistent and win every freaking year. I HATE Ryan Braun and the Brewers first and foremost though even though Ryan Braun was my 1st round pick in this years fantasy draft

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:25 pm 

it was the beer makers but they're fading into Bolivia at this point. Despise the redlegs.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:40 am 

47 years of HATING the Reds. Period.

In the 70's, began to also hate the Phillies.
In the 80's, began to also hate the Mets.
In the 90's, began to also hate the Braves.
In the 2000's, began to also hate the Brewers.

But first and foremost is my hatred for the Reds.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:59 pm 

If you live long enough, you'll hate everyone!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:27 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Ralphie wrote:

This.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:41 pm 

val wrote:
I don't hate any team in any sport. And I don't really hate any set of fans, either. I have too many good friends who are Redskins, Lakers and Man Utd fans to hate any given subset.

Hang around a group of ignorant Dallas Cowboy fans sometime. Your views will change pretty fast.

What's the one thing you WILL NEVER hear a Cowboys fan say after a loss?

"Boy the other team played better."

It's always: "Boy they were lucky.....or...The Refs screwed us....or...We just didn't play our game." ad nauseum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:48 pm 

Ralphie wrote:

Does this mean I've lived long enough?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:22 pm 

Corsair wrote:
val wrote:

Hang around a group of ignorant Dallas Cowboy fans sometime. Your views will change pretty fast.

What's the one thing you WILL NEVER hear a Cowboys fan say after a loss?

"Boy the other team played better."

It's always: "Boy they were lucky.....or...The Refs screwed us....or...We just didn't play our game." ad nauseum

Well, I'm a Cowboy fan myself ;)

I've hung around lots of ignorant fans. In my neck of the woods, Steeler fans of a particular age are among the very worst (I'm over here in Raven territory). I try to ignore them, just like I try to avoid loutish Yankee or Red Sox fans. But again, I know too many fine people who happen support teams other than my own to claim to "hate" the morans. We all have irrational attachments to the playthings of overly wealthy people. We all just want our teams to win.....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:56 pm 

[/quote]

Cowboys? Say it ain't so val! How did you become a Pirates fan then? I root for all Pittsburgh teams. Might as well go full throttle. Plus my family is all from pa. Most pirate fans I know are steelers fans. But not all Steelers fans are pirates fans. Many jumped off after 1992.Root for the Yankees or some here in ohio the Indians. Not me, although its been tough and frustrating but finally starting to look like our patience is beginning to pay off.

I absolutely hate Cleveland sports fans. They are bitter, hateful and angry. I was glad LeBron won another title the other night just because I hate the intellect of the Cleveland sports fan. All I hear from them is how i'm a steelers fan only because they win and im a bandwagoner. I just tell them i'm a pirates fan too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:12 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:
val wrote:

Cowboys? Say it ain't so val! How did you become a Pirates fan then? I root for all Pittsburgh teams. Might as well go full throttle. Plus my family is all from pa. Most pirate fans I know are steelers fans. But not all Steelers fans are pirates fans. Many jumped off after 1992.Root for the Yankees or some here in ohio the Indians. Not me, although its been tough and frustrating but finally starting to look like our patience is beginning to pay off.

I absolutely hate Cleveland sports fans. They are bitter, hateful and angry. I was glad LeBron won another title the other night just because I hate the intellect of the Cleveland sports fan. All I hear from them is how i'm a steelers fan only because they win and im a bandwagoner. I just tell them i'm a pirates fan too.

I was in a military family, and military myself, so there was no local team for me. In 1973 when I was 9 I moved to England and I had in my possession three football books: Bart Starr, OJ Simpson (who'd famously set the single season rushing record during the 1973 season) and Roger Staubach. I read those books to death, but my favorite player of the three became Roger Staubach because he was in the military, as was my family, so the Cowboys became my favorite team.

I became a Pirates fan because when I moved back to the states, I went and spent the summer of 77 with my grandparents. I didn't have any friends that summer so I had lots of time to read, among other things, daily box scores. I pored over those. And that summer Rennie Stennet and Dave Parker were engaged in a race for the batting crown. Except that two or three times over the summer, Stennet dropped right off the leader board. And I couldn't figure out why. I'd see two 0-4 games and wonder why it knocked his batting average 20-30 points. I didn't know about minimum plate appearances. But a whole summer spent poring over box scores of the Pirates made me a Buccos fan. Of course, those teams were strong and we went to the WS in 79. I was living in DC at the time, and most of my friends were Orioles fans, and being a natural contrarian, it only made my love for the Bucs even stronger.

FWIW, I'm also a Celtics fan, and my favorite sports team of all is an English soccer club. So, geography has nothing to do with it for me....