Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Teen is running out of innings but the game still isn't over
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:36 am 

If you have not done so, I strongly suggest you take time to read the two links about this boys story. Very, very moving!!!

A TALE OF COURAGE
A TALE OF HOPE

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08125/878966-85.stm

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08133/881138-85.stm

While watching the Pens game last night they interviewed John and showed him with Mario Lemieux(Pens Owner)Dan Rooney(Steelers Owners),Big Ben and some Atlanta Braves players. Was the Pirate owner there or any Pirate players?

Post subject: Re: Teen is running out of innings but the game still isn't over
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:42 am 

bullishhitter wrote:
If you have not done so, I strongly suggest you take time to read the two links about this boys story. Very, very moving!!!

A TALE OF COURAGE
A TALE OF HOPE

While watching the Pens game last night they interviewed John and showed him with Mario Lemieux(Pens Owner)Dan Rooney(Steelers Owners),Big Ben and some Atlanta Braves players. Was the Pirate owner there or any Pirate players?

I cried like a baby when I read the article, and again last night when he was interviewed during the Penguins game.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:14 pm 

I printed a copy of this article to use on rainy days next year. Works good for the "if you think you have it bad crew".

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:00 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I printed a copy of this article to use on rainy days next year. Works good for the "if you think you have it bad crew".

I hope my Dad saw this kid while watching the Pens game last night and needed some inspiration. He had a stroke last week and is having a tough time. I think we all have it bad with having a lousy owner in control of the baseball team I want to follow. I need to think of this kid and a 12 year old kid on my the street who is not expected to have a live very long every time I think life's not fair.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:01 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

I hope my Dad saw this kid while watching the Pens game last night and needed some inspiration. He had a stroke last week and is having a tough time. I think we all have it bad with having a lousy owner in control of the baseball team I want to follow. I need to think of this kid and a 12 year old kid on my the street who is not expected to live very long every time I think life's not fair.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:39 pm 

bullishhitter wrote:

A TALE OF COURAGE
A TALE OF HOPE

You had to take a nice touching article and still take the time to take a pop at the Pirates Ownership....

You're an asshole!!!

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:06 pm 

nad69dan

Excuse me but how is that taking a shot at Pirate ownership? For all I know someone from the Pirates was there...and it may not have been mentioned by the media. I asked a question because The Pens, Steelers and oddly the Braves were there. Thanks for the name calling.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:07 pm 

nad69dan wrote:

You had to take a nice touching article and still take the time to take a pop at the Pirates Ownership....

You're an asshole!!!

Now dan, I've known some assholes in my time, and they are all offended by that statement.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:13 pm 

BBF wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

You're an asshole!!!

Now dan, I've known some assholes in my time, and they are all offended by that statement.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:19 pm 

Great piece. Poor kid. He was at the Pens game last night too.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:38 am 

I was not taking a shot at the Pirates, but John Challis did.....here is what he said

Quote:
Awesome," John Challis kept saying while looking around the suite.

As John Challis was standing between Mr. Lemieux and Mr. Rooney, he looked at them and said, "Wow. I never thought I'd be talking with two owners of sports teams in the city."

"There's only one missing," Mr. Lemieux said, referring to the Pirates.

John quickly replied, "Yeah, but at least the two winners are here."

So for all of you posters ripping me here, what do you have to say about John Challis taking a shot?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:04 am 
bullishhitter wrote:
I was not taking a shot at the Pirates, but John Challis did.....here is what he said

Quote:

As John Challis was standing between Mr. Lemieux and Mr. Rooney, he looked at them and said, "Wow. I never thought I'd be talking with two owners of sports teams in the city."

So for all of you posters ripping me here, what do you have to say about John Challis taking a shot?

Not the time of the place to take a shot at Pirates ownership, BH.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:45 am 

Please see DK's opening remarks in today's Q&A. Perhaps the Pirates like to do thier charity work as charity ought to be....something other than a PR photoshoot. And perhaps certain posters who have already been adequately described anatomically will learn to know what the facts are before they shoot thier mouths off. And maybe we should all learn that just because a kid is sick and deserving of our sympathy doesn't mean we should quote him as if he was the apostle Paul.

I have come to hope for the Pirates to turn things around as much to send BH crawling off muttering to himself as to actually enjoy the winning for winning's sake. Until that time, I continue to enjoy having the choice to make him totally insignificant on this board.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:04 am 

bullishhitter wrote:

Quote:

I'd say that he's a dying teenage boy. What's your excuse?

By the way, were any Pirates invited to sit in Mario's booth for that game? Given Dejan's QA this morning, where are your posts berating the Pens and Steelers for being so late to the table on this kid?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:24 am 

sisyphus wrote:
By the way, were any Pirates invited to sit in Mario's booth for that game? Given Dejan's QA this morning, where are your posts berating the Pens and Steelers for being so late to the table on this kid?

I think that this thread deserves to have a full disclosure rebuttal. Mods, because the article is brief, I'm printing it in it's entirety, if this violates the board policy, I'll gladly reformat it.

From the "Pirates Q&A with Dejan Kovacevic" in the May 14th, 2008 edition of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette:

Quote:
The subject of John Challis came up in the chat yesterday, and I had little information to the question posed about whether the Pirates were going to have him as a guest at PNC Park.

Upon further review ...

The Pirates learned of John's diagnosis back in late 2006 and began working with Freedom High School's baseball program to see what they could do for him, given his passion for baseball. From there, John and his family to PNC Park to sit in the dugout during batting practice, meet the players, and throw out the ceremonial first pitch to Josh Sharpless, also from Freedom.

This year, late in April, he and John Russell together delivered the lineup card to the umpires before a game against Philadelphia.

Then, on Saturday, he and his friends were given tickets to the game against Atlanta, and Frank Coonelly stopped by their seats for a couple of innings to talk.

There also are plans to have John get his own stall in the clubhouse with a full batting practice uniform, as well as plans for his family to be guests in the owner's suite.

The Pirates, as is fairly common in much of their charitable work, elected not to publicize any of the above. But they did respond when seeing that a reader asked about it in the chat.

So the Pirates take the very noble road of not publizing what they've done for John Challis, which is actually more than than the Pens and Steelers combined, but get crapped on by a certain board member (the anatomical variety).

Politicizing the plight of John Challis, an all time low. :(

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:04 am 

This post went from very nice and touching to this garbage. It kind of makes me sick.

I suggest that the moderators remove this post entirely as I think this whole concept of using John Challis as evidence in a Pens-Steelers-Pirates debate is nauseating. Anyone else agree that this thread should be removed?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:08 am 

Mayor Mystery wrote:
This post went from very nice and touching to this garbage. It kind of makes me sick.

I suggest that the moderators remove this post entirely as I think this whole concept of using John Challis as evidence in a Pens-Steelers-Pirates debate is nauseating. Anyone else agree that this thread should be removed?

I think the thread should be locked, not removed. If it's removed, then by extension, I think the originator of this post should be as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:45 am 

Let me make this clear...when I made this post and my question about no Pirates being there...it was not taking a shot at the Pirates. I asked a simple question. The kid did take a shot.

It was nice the see the Pirates had been aware of the kids situation and did some nice gestures. All I did was ask a simple question and many of you assume its Pirate bashing. Sigh !