Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Was Gio Gonzalez that good?....or...
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:45 am 

...the Pirate offense that bad?

When the Bucs lose games like this one...where the opposing pitcher (Gio Gonzalez) was good but not great...IMO...I tend to lean on the side of the Pirate offense NOT performing by NOT taking advantage of run scoring situations.

I believe, if the Pirates indeed did that, they SHOULD have won this game.

These are the type of games...IMO...the Pirates NEED to win to be a serious playoff contender.

Post subject: Re: Was Gio Gonzalez that good?....or...
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:22 am 

They absolutely suck at getting the big hit when they need it. They have a pitcher on the ropes and they can't do any real damage to him.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:39 am 

Leway512 wrote:
They absolutely suck at getting the big hit when they need it. They have a pitcher on the ropes and they can't do any real damage to him.

That happens when the entire bottom half of your order is catchers and utility infielders that hit like catchers and utility infielders.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:57 am 

BBF wrote:
Leway512 wrote:

That happens when the entire bottom half of your order is catchers and utility infielders that hit like catchers and utility infielders.

Or when Cutch fails to put the ball in play with Marte on 3rd and one out in the 1st inning Saturday. They have had quite a few of these almost big 1st innings lately. They get the guys on then flop. Really it all started in game #3 of the year when they had bases loaded down one run in the 9th and no one out versus Marmol - it was Pedro K, Walker double play that time.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:59 am 

BBF wrote:
Leway512 wrote:

Actually . . . the problem in the 1st inning existed with the players playing 3rd base and catcher yesterday. Put Alvarez in for McHenry . . . you really think that there was a great chance for a different result? McHenry has hit lefties far better than Alvarez.

Now . . . as far as Inge playing RF . . . and McD at SS, I agree . . . pop gun at best. But, with Walker and Tabata being unavailable and the "platoon" plan, the Bucs were quite short handed.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:07 pm 

There's no reason to sit your best power bat to have two catchers in the lineup, even if one is a good offensive catcher, and the other smashes lefties. Especially when you already have a near-40 year old SS in the lineup. Hurdle was trying to be too clever.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:34 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
BBF wrote:
Leway512 wrote:

Actually . . . the problem in the 1st inning existed with the players playing 3rd base and catcher yesterday. Put Alvarez in for McHenry . . . you really think that there was a great chance for a different result? McHenry has hit lefties far better than Alvarez.

Now . . . as far as Inge playing RF . . . and McD at SS, I agree . . . pop gun at best. But, with Walker and Tabata being unavailable and the "platoon" plan, the Bucs were quite short handed.

No, I don't think subbing Alvarez for Mchenry would have yielded a different result- we agree on that.

I guess my point was that the problem isn't that our lineup isn't "clutch", its more a matter of the number of hitters in our lineup that just aren't very good.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:51 pm 

I've been as hard on Alvarez as anyone, but he's got to play. I don't care who is pitching. Give Martin a real day off. Don't play McDonald at ss...EVER. And until he stops hitting, play Snider in RF, not Inge for crying out loud. The lefty/righty stuff gets carried away at times. Play your best players. It's a no brainer for Jones and Sanchez, but not the rest of the positions they do it with.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:08 pm 

Leway512 wrote:

It did work today, but the Bucs have been masters at getting the big clutch hit recently, particularly in last few innings of games.

It can't happen EVERY day!