Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jerry Sands
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:48 pm 

It has only been a little over a month, but my award for "most disappointing player in the system" easily goes to Sands, who some thought was the mar-key player acquired in the Hanrahan trade (fortunately, the other two players acquired have been dominant). Sands is hitting .138 with just two XBHs. Even if Sands was only going to be organizational depth and a projectable AAAA-type player who was going to regress after playing in the PCL, you would at least like to see him dominate in AAA with a lot of power and at least be a better option than Matt Hague. Of course, it's obviously early enough to turn it around and the excellent performances of Melancon and Pimental has taken the focus off of it, but those are some mighty ugly numbers for a guy repeating AAA for the third time.

Post subject: Re: Jerry Sands
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:10 pm 

Nitpicking here: it's "marquee," not "mar-key".

Post subject: Re: Jerry Sands
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:23 pm 

TheShark wrote:
It has only been a little over a month, but my award for "most disappointing player in the system" easily goes to Sands, who some thought was the mar-key player acquired in the Hanrahan trade (fortunately, the other two players acquired have been dominant). Sands is hitting .138 with just two XBHs. Even if Sands was only going to be organizational depth and a projectable AAAA-type player who was going to regress after playing in the PCL, you would at least like to see him dominate in AAA with a lot of power and at least be a better option than Matt Hague. Of course, it's obviously early enough to turn it around and the excellent performances of Melancon and Pimental has taken the focus off of it, but those are some mighty ugly numbers for a guy repeating AAA for the third time.

Yeah looking like a bust at this point (SSS and all that) because he had to hit and hit now to make the leap at age 25. I believe this is his final option year. The only glimmer of hope is that his BB and K rates are the same as in the PCL, just no power or hits. Like you said, Melancon alone makes the deal worth doing (as many of us suggested the day it happened), add in Pimental's recent promise as a 2nd RP option and I doubt anyone will care if Sands busts.