Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sink or swim.....
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:26 pm 

Tired of the all right handed batting lineups sacrificing talent. Wouldn't you rather see Snider over Inge? Alvarez over Martin? Martin needs days off to? Throwing him in at third isn't a day off. But, wait Martin gets a day off tomorrow. Yeah and so does Melancon and Grilli. Why not use them in a closed game with a home series on the line instead of watching the lead balloon?

Alvarez isn't a high contact guy, obviously he isn't going to go deep into counts but he can at least hit "excuse me" swings into the river occasionally. Not to mention hes a top draft pick. Throw him out there, see how much heart he has. Snider was hot before the injury so maybe put him back in there so he can find "it% again. I'm all for Tabata facing lefties in a platoon role with Snider but Tabata is banged up, Snider is the next best option. Right? Now Inge is a everyday player? No, he's a bench guy just as McDonald.

What the heck is this coaching staff doing?

Post subject: Re: sink or swim.....
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:43 pm 

Alvarez should be playing against lefties. Ryan Howard has never hit lefties well either, doesn't mean Philly will automatically sit him against every lefty pitcher. Better to give the guy the chance to fail than no chance at all.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:33 pm 

Leway512 wrote:
Alvarez should be playing against lefties. Ryan Howard has never hit lefties well either, doesn't mean Philly will automatically sit him against every lefty pitcher. Better to give the guy the chance to fail than no chance at all.

Absolutely what I'm saying. I know some here think he should be demoted. I think the franchise is beyond that. He's been there done that. Let him be an everyday player, the reason he was drafted. Against lefties as well. He'll either succeed or fail.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:33 pm 

Anyone saying demote him should have their head examined. He's got nothing to learn from AAA, if he's demoted it's simply because there's someone of more worth that could be playing in his stead. Inge/Mercer are not better than him. He's been bad for a month, but he'll balance it out like he does. There's no reason to send down a 26 year old who hit 30 HR's last year to AAA after another bad start to the year.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:21 am 

Yeah, I never meant for this thread to be all about Alvarez but while we're on it....

Pedro is hitting left handers just as well as right handers. Actually aside from less at bats his average is higher against LH. SLG, OBP....ect is all right there. Smaller sample size against LH, all in all not very good from the plate. Boy needs play.

Same with Snider. Tabata can't play send him to the DL. Snider and Tabata proved to be heading in the right direction as a platoon. Both players get nicked up, now we're seeing Inge in right field with hints of Martin being put out there. Geesh. Put Snider in there, why not? Inge? Give me a break.

8th, 9th inning, why not throw out the two most dominant guys on the mound in Melancon and Grilli ? Day off tomorrow.

This coaching staff is making me lose it.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:19 am 

Yeah, it's not just Alvarez. I see no reason to sit Snider, other than durability concerns that have plagued him so far in his career. He's our best option in RF every day. Alvarez/Snider are both promising enough bats when they deliver, that both should be in the lineup against lefties. If they don't hit, so what? You still put your best lineup out there. Combinations of Inge/McKenry/Martin/McDonald at positions they don't need to be playing (or in the lineup at all) is not our best lineup.

Why would you want Martin/McKenry/Inge up when you have bases loaded 0 outs when you could of had Snider/Alvarez/Martin?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:19 am 

Yeah, it's not just Alvarez. I see no reason to sit Snider, other than durability concerns that have plagued him so far in his career. He's our best option in RF every day. Alvarez/Snider are both promising enough bats when they deliver, that both should be in the lineup against lefties. If they don't hit, so what? You still put your best lineup out there. Combinations of Inge/McKenry/Martin/McDonald at positions they don't need to be playing (or in the lineup at all) is not our best lineup.

Why would you want Martin/McKenry/Inge up when you have bases loaded 0 outs when you could of had Snider/Alvarez/Martin?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:57 am 
 WWW  Profile

buccosfan77 wrote:

As much as I like to blame the save, a grown-ass man like Clint Hurdle should be able to realize when a situation calls for his best pitchers. If he's just going to use the scoreboard to do it, write a computer program and have it manage. It would be so simple that you could write it in Fortran.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:56 am 
 WWW  Profile

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
buccosfan77 wrote:

As much as I like to blame the save, a grown-ass man like Clint Hurdle should be able to realize when a situation calls for his best pitchers. If he's just going to use the scoreboard to do it, write a computer program and have it manage. It would be so simple that you could write it in Fortran.

I dunno. You FORTRAN guys probably don't know how to use modern IDE's :)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:06 am 

Read or heard somewhere that Hurdle made the comment that Melancon would only be used when the Bucs have a lead. That says tuns about Hurdle's thinking. Since when is the margin for error for this team so big that they can afford to only pitch their best relievers when they have a lead?