Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Last night's game
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:06 pm 

This has been bugging me about last night's game. Pirates were off Thursday and are off Monday. Why in a tie game with us having last AB wouldn't Hurdle use Grilli or Melancon in the 9th? Neither will be used for a save. In my mind that would give us the bast chance to win or am I looking at it wrong?

Post subject: Re: Last night's game
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:49 am 

Scoobiedoo wrote:
This has been bugging me about last night's game. Pirates were off Thursday and are off Monday. Why in a tie game with us having last AB wouldn't Hurdle use Grilli or Melancon in the 9th? Neither will be used for a save. In my mind that would give us the bast chance to win or am I looking at it wrong?

You are not wrong, I was livid at the game Saturday. Ron Cook actually defended the idiocy in the paper. At home in the 9th there is no longer a possible save situation, use your best relievers to keep it tied and win it on a walk off. Common sense that eludes CH.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:51 am 
 WWW  Profile

It makes absolutely no sense. Why save someone for a save situation that may never come? Do your best to keep the game tied and send it into extras, then worry about who's going to close it out.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:59 am 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
It makes absolutely no sense. Why save someone for a save situation that may never come? Do your best to keep the game tied and send it into extras, then worry about who's going to close it out.

Well in this case there is never going to be a save situation, its impossible. You are at home in the 9th, any run that your team scores the rest of the game is a walkoff win. On the road, you can argue saving a guy, but its still dumb.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:23 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Barrys Dopers wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:

Well in this case there is never going to be a save situation, its impossible. You are at home in the 9th, any run that your team scores the rest of the game is a walkoff win. On the road, you can argue saving a guy, but its still dumb.

That's true. It's even dumber than I first thought.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:36 pm 

I wasn't a big fan of his managing last season, and so far am not this season. I love the guy's passion and old school demeanor, but some of his decisions are amazingly head scratching.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:10 pm 

This was my biggest argument way back in 2011 in the Jerry Meals game. 18 innings and arguably our best pitcher at that time, Hanrahan, never got into the game.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:30 pm 

Animal wrote:
This was my biggest argument way back in 2011 in the Jerry Meals game. 18 innings and arguably our best pitcher at that time, Hanrahan, never got into the game.

Arguably? There was no argument to be had: Hanrahan was our best reliever in 2011, hand down. Having Hanrahan sit in the bullpen all night during that nightmare of a game was an egregious mistake on Hurdle's part.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:41 pm 

Willton wrote:
Animal wrote:

Arguably? There was no argument to be had: Hanrahan was our best reliever in 2011, hand down. Having Hanrahan sit in the bullpen all night during that nightmare of a game was an egregious mistake on Hurdle's part.

Ron Cook's defense of CH -

"Hurdle was right not to use Melancon or Grilli in each situation. That goes back to something Jim Leyland -- the best manager in the game -- always said when he ran the Pirates. "You can't be afraid to lose a game or two if it keeps you from losing five or six down the road."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... z2SXUVnQJD

:roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:53 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:

"Hurdle was right not to use Melancon or Grilli in each situation. That goes back to something Jim Leyland -- the best manager in the game -- always said when he ran the Pirates. "You can't be afraid to lose a game or two if it keeps you from losing five or six down the road."

Hopefully Hurdle will realize after 14 innings in an extra inning game to just forfeit and move on to the next game as the past two seasons their collapses have seemed to have come after 18 inning marathons.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:58 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Willton wrote:
Animal wrote:

Who's to say it would have hurt us down the road? These guys are well rested right now. There was a day off today. I'm not buying that!