Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Last night's game
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:06 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:27 pm
Posts: 91
This has been bugging me about last night's game. Pirates were off Thursday and are off Monday. Why in a tie game with us having last AB wouldn't Hurdle use Grilli or Melancon in the 9th? Neither will be used for a save. In my mind that would give us the bast chance to win or am I looking at it wrong?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Last night's game
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:49 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Scoobiedoo wrote:
This has been bugging me about last night's game. Pirates were off Thursday and are off Monday. Why in a tie game with us having last AB wouldn't Hurdle use Grilli or Melancon in the 9th? Neither will be used for a save. In my mind that would give us the bast chance to win or am I looking at it wrong?


You are not wrong, I was livid at the game Saturday. Ron Cook actually defended the idiocy in the paper. At home in the 9th there is no longer a possible save situation, use your best relievers to keep it tied and win it on a walk off. Common sense that eludes CH.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Last night's game
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:51 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2096
Location: Naples, FL
It makes absolutely no sense. Why save someone for a save situation that may never come? Do your best to keep the game tied and send it into extras, then worry about who's going to close it out.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Last night's game
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
It makes absolutely no sense. Why save someone for a save situation that may never come? Do your best to keep the game tied and send it into extras, then worry about who's going to close it out.


Well in this case there is never going to be a save situation, its impossible. You are at home in the 9th, any run that your team scores the rest of the game is a walkoff win. On the road, you can argue saving a guy, but its still dumb.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Last night's game
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2096
Location: Naples, FL
Barrys Dopers wrote:
SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
It makes absolutely no sense. Why save someone for a save situation that may never come? Do your best to keep the game tied and send it into extras, then worry about who's going to close it out.


Well in this case there is never going to be a save situation, its impossible. You are at home in the 9th, any run that your team scores the rest of the game is a walkoff win. On the road, you can argue saving a guy, but its still dumb.



That's true. It's even dumber than I first thought.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Last night's game
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:36 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:46 am
Posts: 198
I wasn't a big fan of his managing last season, and so far am not this season. I love the guy's passion and old school demeanor, but some of his decisions are amazingly head scratching.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Last night's game
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:10 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
This was my biggest argument way back in 2011 in the Jerry Meals game. 18 innings and arguably our best pitcher at that time, Hanrahan, never got into the game.

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Last night's game
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Animal wrote:
This was my biggest argument way back in 2011 in the Jerry Meals game. 18 innings and arguably our best pitcher at that time, Hanrahan, never got into the game.

Arguably? There was no argument to be had: Hanrahan was our best reliever in 2011, hand down. Having Hanrahan sit in the bullpen all night during that nightmare of a game was an egregious mistake on Hurdle's part.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Last night's game
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Willton wrote:
Animal wrote:
This was my biggest argument way back in 2011 in the Jerry Meals game. 18 innings and arguably our best pitcher at that time, Hanrahan, never got into the game.

Arguably? There was no argument to be had: Hanrahan was our best reliever in 2011, hand down. Having Hanrahan sit in the bullpen all night during that nightmare of a game was an egregious mistake on Hurdle's part.


Ron Cook's defense of CH -

"Hurdle was right not to use Melancon or Grilli in each situation. That goes back to something Jim Leyland -- the best manager in the game -- always said when he ran the Pirates. "You can't be afraid to lose a game or two if it keeps you from losing five or six down the road."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... z2SXUVnQJD


:roll:

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Last night's game
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7187
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Ron Cook's defense of CH -

"Hurdle was right not to use Melancon or Grilli in each situation. That goes back to something Jim Leyland -- the best manager in the game -- always said when he ran the Pirates. "You can't be afraid to lose a game or two if it keeps you from losing five or six down the road."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... z2SXUVnQJD


:roll:


Hopefully Hurdle will realize after 14 innings in an extra inning game to just forfeit and move on to the next game as the past two seasons their collapses have seemed to have come after 18 inning marathons.

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Last night's game
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:58 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Willton wrote:
Animal wrote:
This was my biggest argument way back in 2011 in the Jerry Meals game. 18 innings and arguably our best pitcher at that time, Hanrahan, never got into the game.

Arguably? There was no argument to be had: Hanrahan was our best reliever in 2011, hand down. Having Hanrahan sit in the bullpen all night during that nightmare of a game was an egregious mistake on Hurdle's part.


Ron Cook's defense of CH -

"Hurdle was right not to use Melancon or Grilli in each situation. That goes back to something Jim Leyland -- the best manager in the game -- always said when he ran the Pirates. "You can't be afraid to lose a game or two if it keeps you from losing five or six down the road."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... z2SXUVnQJD


:roll:


Who's to say it would have hurt us down the road? These guys are well rested right now. There was a day off today. I'm not buying that!

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], No. 9, StarlingArcher and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits