Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: May 4, 2013 Nationals (15-15) at Pirates (17-12)
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:26 pm 

Atleast this pitching staff isn't afraid to go inside unlike the group 3 or 4 years ago.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:11 pm 

these are he type of losses that just make u grind your teeth. No not blaming Martin for the loss.But it was a boneheaded play, regardless of what the announcers said. There is plenty of blame to go around. Lets get um tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:24 pm 

I think the only reason Pedro is still in the major leagues because of what the pirates think his "potential" is. Hes shown flashes of it in spurts, but right now he is not playing at the major league level. Honestly I question his heart. He dogs routine ground balls, swings at anything and everything. Has no plate discipline at all.

Last year people wanted to hang me for critisizing Alvarez. We have guys his age on our team (marte, Cutch) Marte is improving and becoming one of our best players. Cutch is cutch. Alvarez is showing no signs of improvement.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:01 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
4 in Nats' lineup with averages less than .200. Two others less than .250.

Weak hitting team gets 11 base runners without putting ball in play. Two more get on via a Barmes and Kdro errors and Watson allows the runners to double steal in an incredibly crucial moment in the 9th by not checking the runners.

That's some bad baseball today. Really dumb. Gave it away. Gift wrapped. Just make those bastards put it in play and that would have been win #18.

I love Martin's overall aggressiveness but that a lead off hit was probably a bad time to force the issue even if he had reached second safely.

Last edited by No. 9 on Sat May 04, 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:13 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:
I think the only reason Pedro is still in the major leagues because of what the pirates think his "potential" is. Hes shown flashes of it in spurts, but right now he is not playing at the major league level. Honestly I question his heart. He dogs routine ground balls, swings at anything and everything. Has no plate discipline at all.

Last year people wanted to hang me for critisizing Alvarez. We have guys his age on our team (marte, Cutch) Marte is improving and becoming one of our best players. Cutch is cutch. Alvarez is showing no signs of improvement.

2 bad games in a row and it's bad to bashing Pedro...

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:27 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:

Well, he's slugging .327 right now so...

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:28 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:

He is hitting .186. OBP is .245. Slugging is .340. OPS is .585. Defense has been spotty. It's not 2 bad games in a row. He has been bad for a month now. These numbers are unacceptable. He has a negative WAR. He has a career WAR of 1.1, which is lousy. It's time for him to step up, find consistency, and be the player the Pirates need him to be. It's a testament to this team that it has played so well with Cutch not yet being Cutch(although he is getting closer) and with Pedro not stepping up. I don't think that will last. They need him to start playing like he is capable of playing.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:35 pm 

PirateParrot wrote:
nad69dan wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:

He is hitting .186. OBP is .245. Slugging is .340. OPS is .585. Defense has been spotty. It's not 2 bad games in a row. He has been bad for a month now. These numbers are unacceptable. He has a negative WAR. He has a career WAR of 1.1, which is lousy. It's time for him to step up, find consistency, and be the player the Pirates need him to be. It's a testament to this team that it has played so well with Cutch not yet being Cutch(although he is getting closer) and with Pedro not stepping up. I don't think that will last. They need him to start playing like he is capable of playing.

Yes, his numbers are still bad but they've been coming up. He had a streak of getting on base in 8 straight games and 10 out of 11 from mid April until the start of the Milwaukee series.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:49 pm 

When Pedro is up I hope to see him use patience and look for his pitch. You can almost assume which guy you're getting when he comes out flailing at every pitch. I have never understood why he doesn't sit back on pitches with his opposite field power.

Bell seriously needs to work with this cat.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:34 am 

on paper hes big and strong power hitting third baseman. but right now hes the wink link in our lineup. even weaker than barmes. this isnt just two bad games. he needs to step up.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:26 am 

I've been a supporter of Pedro and I still am...BUT...he's certainly not playing good baseball (especially with the bat).

Consistency is certainly NOT his middle name.

He has to step it up and become more productive when the situations arise.

It's now time.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:49 am 

This one is on Hurdle in my opinion, nothing quite like saving Grilli and Melancon for a save situation that was not going to ever come. There was no reason to have Watson on the hill in the 9th and even less reason after LaRoche was up. Just plain idiotic. Then he goes on record and says he'll only use them with a lead, I guess tie games at home arn't worth winning.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:48 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
This one is on Hurdle in my opinion, nothing quite like saving Grilli and Melancon for a save situation that was not going to ever come. There was no reason to have Watson on the hill in the 9th and even less reason after LaRoche was up. Just plain idiotic. Then he goes on record and says he'll only use them with a lead, I guess tie games at home arn't worth winning.

I agree on this. I think he should have stayed with Locke and given him a chance to get out of it.

And where was Contreras?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:24 am 
 WWW  Profile

I know you are not supposed to murder because it's a commandment and all but if the save were animated as a human being, I WOULD MURDER IT.

I HATE THE SAVE AHHGHFHGHHGHG AND MANAGERS SHOULD BE SMART ENOUGH TO FIGURE IT OUT YOU MAKE MILLIONS I AM USING ALL CAPS AND IT'S YOUR FAULT CLINT

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:33 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:

Attachments:
ClintHurdleSmile.gif
ClintHurdleSmile.gif [ 2.95 MiB | Viewed 299 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:20 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:

I generally agree with you. I have never liked how Hurdle uses his bullpen. And I thought the same thing yesterday, however...they need to find another reliable back end guy. I'm hoping its Morris. You can't use Melancon and Grilli too much early or they may fade late. It happened to some degree last year with Grilli. Again, not really disagreeing with you just looking at it from a different angle.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:15 pm 

BBF wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

Did we figure out the 'Like' or 'Thanks' button yet??? ;)

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:50 am 

BBF wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

Well played Chris!