Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:32 pm 

Post subject: Re: PEDRO SUCKS
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:14 pm 

The Pedro lovers coming out. I'm critical of him because he has the talent, but is too streakish. Hey I hope he hits 5 hrs tonight. But until he shows some consistency on defense and offense, I'll be critical of him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:24 pm 

Clevelandsux wrote:
I hope he hits 5 hrs tonight. But until he shows some consistency on defense and offense, I'll be critical of him.

The same discussion and arguments arose relative to Adam Laroche and his terrible April's for the Buccos.

As I recall, sisyphus and Willton, among others, made persuasive arguments why the fact that a player is ice-cold, then red-hot did not detract from his final tally.

Look, I would also prefer that Pedro get 2.62 hits for every 10 at-bats and hit 1 HR for exactly every 15.4 at-bats. But if he finishes the year with 32 HR's, 80 R's, 90 RBI's, and a line of .262/.357/.495, then so be it - he produced.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:39 am 
 WWW  Profile

Bucfan wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:
I hope he hits 5 hrs tonight. But until he shows some consistency on defense and offense, I'll be critical of him.

The same discussion and arguments arose relative to Adam Laroche and his terrible April's for the Buccos.

As I recall, sisyphus and Willton, among others, made persuasive arguments why the fact that a player is ice-cold, then red-hot did not detract from his final tally.

Look, I would also prefer that Pedro get 2.62 hits for every 10 at-bats and hit 1 HR for exactly every 15.4 at-bats. But if he finishes the year with 32 HR's, 80 R's, 90 RBI's, and a line of .262/.357/.495, then so be it - he produced.

At the moment, sure looks like he'd have to walk into those 32. I'm positive he can do it, but boy, it's nail biting getting there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:55 am 

The reason Pedro is more frustrating than LaRoche, is because I think we all had a much higher ceiling for Pedro. I don't think anyone was expecting 40-50 HRs from LaRoche when he was here.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:51 am 

No but we were expecting more from LaRoche than what he delivered, and we misjudged him because of it. He was actually a decent player for us.

He did have a knack for hitting only when it didn't matter when he was with us though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:14 am 

Clevelandsux wrote:
The Pedro lovers coming out. I'm critical of him because he has the talent, but is too streakish. Hey I hope he hits 5 hrs tonight. But until he shows some consistency on defense and offense, I'll be critical of him.

Consistency is statistically irrelevant, the runs count the same whether they come over 3 weeks or 2 months.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:23 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:

Consistency is statistically irrelevant, the runs count the same whether they come over 3 weeks or 2 months.

Maybe statistically irrelevant, but we're not playing to accumulate stats. We're playing to win games, and as we all saw last year, having two blistering months did us no good in August and September. Seems to me that more than any other sport, baseball rewards, and requires, consistency.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:25 am 

val wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:

Maybe statistically irrelevant, but we're not playing to accumulate stats. We're playing to win games, and as we all saw last year, having two blistering months did us no good in August and September. Seems to me that more than any other sport, baseball rewards, and requires, consistency.

But those blistering months did us good when they were happening, more wins than consistent production would have delivered. If Alvarez delivers 2-3 wins in a year it makes no difference if they come in bunches over 6 weeks or they come incrementally in 6 months. Its the same number of wins at the end of the year.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:48 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:

The flaw in this is that there is only one end game . . . and that is a specific year-end stat line. Should Kdro develop more consistency - namely putting the bat on the ball, the year-end stat line will spike upwards. If Kdro simply puts the bat on the ball in at least two instances this year - even if he makes an out - the Bucs score runs in key situations and perhaps they don't lose either game.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:54 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
But those blistering months did us good when they were happening, more wins than consistent production would have delivered.

I need to make sure that I'm not misunderstanding the above sentence . . . are you contending that the Pirates won more games last year because Kdro is a streaky player and the Pirates would have had fewer wins if he was a more consistent hitter?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:00 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:

Runs mean the same when looking at stats, but not necessarily in terms of games won. Just ask Kevin Young, the king of the meaningless home run.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:15 am 

No. 9 wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
But those blistering months did us good when they were happening, more wins than consistent production would have delivered.

I need to make sure that I'm not misunderstanding the above sentence . . . are you contending that the Pirates won more games last year because Kdro is a streaky player and the Pirates would have had fewer wins if he was a more consistent hitter?

No not at all. I'm contending that Pedro wins more games for the Pirates over a 3 week span that he is hot than he would over the same three week span if he was being consistent, just as he loses more games during teh cold spell than if he were consistent. The end result is the same.

There is no difference for the Pirates in Pedro hitting 18 HR in 6 hot weeks then hitting 12 HR over the other 20 weeks versus Pedro hitting 30 HR over 26 weeks consistently.

The only risk in the hot/cold pattern is the concern that the hot won't come.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:16 am 

PirateParrot wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:

Runs mean the same when looking at stats, but not necessarily in terms of games won. Just ask Kevin Young, the king of the meaningless home run.

Consistency has no bearing on whether the runs "matter" or not. He could just as easily consistently hit 1 HR a week in a 7-0 game as he could hit 3 HR on a hot streak in 3 unimportant situations. The opposite is true, his hot streak HR's could just as easily be in huge situations.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:17 am 

No. 9 wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:

The flaw in this is that there is only one end game . . . and that is a specific year-end stat line. Should Kdro develop more consistency - namely putting the bat on the ball, the year-end stat line will spike upwards. If Kdro simply puts the bat on the ball in at least two instances this year - even if he makes an out - the Bucs score runs in key situations and perhaps they don't lose either game.

Well duh, if Pedro hits great all year he will be better for the Pirates, that's not a flaw, that's fantasy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:29 pm 

Pedro's occasional power outbursts do not make up for how poorly he plays for 2 week stretches.

Pedro is basicly a poor man's Mark Reynolds until he can become more consistent.

Pedro reminds me of a bigger slower Reynolds, with less power and consistency.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:33 pm 

Pedro, your talent is like a roller coaster [baby-baby]. I want to ride.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:07 pm 

He looks like he is just guessing on every pitch. His strikout to end the night tonight was a prime example. He fully expected that 0-2 pitch would be a garbage pitch so he didn't even prepare to swing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:11 pm 

Yeah, forget the home run he hit earlier. Why not bash Cutch? He was 0 for 4.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:23 am 

bucco boy wrote:
Yeah, forget the home run he hit earlier. Why not bash Cutch? He was 0 for 4.

I agree 100%. Plus, Cutch stood there and took strike three looking from a AAA pitcher his first AB...sad... :roll: