Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: last nights game
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:22 pm 

when the bases were loaded with 2 out ( the 6th inning maybe) clint barmes, was up. Why wasn't he pinch hit for? What is the point of having mcdonald in the team if you are not going to hit for barmes in that spot?

Post subject: Re: last nights game
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:30 pm 

Hmm. Interesting point.

Had Gaby been used by that point? Hard to recall.

It's unlikely they would have used Fort (to avoid exepending their backup catcher) and Presley would have only been thrown out there vs. a righty (and/or in desperation).

You're right though, there were better hitting options available with no fear or loss of defense.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:29 pm 

Because Barmes is such a good hitter? :?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:34 pm 

C'mon, yinz haven't figured out by now how much Hurdle loves Clint Barmes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:52 am 

From what I saw of McDonald tonight, he's no better than Barmes at the plate. He did have one AB where he fouled a ton of pitches off with 2 strikes but ultimately didn't reach base anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:29 am 

ParrotLuv wrote:
From what I saw of McDonald tonight, he's no better than Barmes at the plate.

Yes, no doubt.

But I think members of the UPPMB agree that Hurdle should NOT send up McDonald to pinch hit for Barmes and that the only reason McDonald is on the team is that Clint can send up an actual major league hitter, and not be paralyzed by the fear that the replacement SS misplays a routine grounder into a 5-base error, thereby losing not one but TWO games.

Since Old McDonald is not on the farm, he is a defensive replacement ... AFTER HURDLE PINCH HITS FOR BARMES WITH, SAY, BASES LOADED, TWO OUTS, LATER INNINGS, IN A TIE GAME.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:49 am 

Meanwhile Jordy Mercer is hitting at a .291 clip with extra base hits.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:31 am 

Point being, a major league ball player isn't going to come through everytime. Barmes has come through before. He didn't that night. No big deal. The bigger issue was the pitching.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:39 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
ParrotLuv wrote:
From what I saw of McDonald tonight, he's no better than Barmes at the plate.

Yes, no doubt.

But I think members of the UPPMB agree that Hurdle should NOT send up McDonald to pinch hit for Barmes and that the only reason McDonald is on the team is that Clint can send up an actual major league hitter, and not be paralyzed by the fear that the replacement SS misplays a routine grounder into a 5-base error, thereby losing not one but TWO games.

Since Old McDonald is not on the farm, he is a defensive replacement ... AFTER HURDLE PINCH HITS FOR BARMES WITH, SAY, BASES LOADED, TWO OUTS, LATER INNINGS, IN A TIE GAME.

Ok you've confused me. How is one error going to lead to two losses?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:07 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Ok you've confused me. How is one error going to lead to two losses?

Having a little fun with Hurdle's reluctance last year to pinch hit for Barmes due to his seemingly overinflated fear of defensive shortcomings with the replacement SS after Barmes is removed from the game.

Hence, my reference to a "5-base error" losing not one but two games.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:59 pm 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

The organization must not think very highly of him at all. It's kind of sad really.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:25 am 

JollyRoger wrote:
Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

The organization must not think very highly of him at all. It's kind of sad really.

At some point Hurdle will move on from Barmes . Maybe at the deadline if the bucs are in it or next season. If you can do better than barmes do it. Just don't give up Cole or Taillon .....lol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:40 am 

He has to be better than Barmes with a bat. Would like to know Hurdle's/Huntington's reasons for him being buried in Indy..... :? :? :?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:35 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
He has to be better than Barmes with a bat. Would like to know Hurdle's/Huntington's reasons for him being buried in Indy..... :? :? :?

I think it's fair at this point to say Hurdle prefers veterans. If I remember correctly, he pushed hard to get Barmes here. He is going to ride it out with him. I'm on record as saying I'd like to see Mercer get a shot.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:38 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

Its most likely pretty simple, they don't think he can really play MLB SS defensively. His 104 innings there last year would argue differently.

You can live with Barmes hitting .210, not .095, he has to start hitting some or a change will be made.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:44 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:

You can live with Barmes hitting .210, not .095, he has to start hitting some or a change will be made.

I think you can live with .240. And don't count on a change...not soon at least. Barmes will be given every chance. He does play a smooth shortstop, and Hurdle loves him. Again, I think now is a great time to give Mercer an extended look. I thought he looked pretty good defensively.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:04 pm 

I'm always one to preach patience. In fact I did so just yesterday regarding Barmes. But the guy never was good offensively, and after a bad year last year he has been horrible so far this year. It's not bad luck; he doesn't seem to be able to get the bat on the ball or recognize breaking pitches at all.

I don't know how much more time I would give him. We have the potential to be a genuinely good team this year and we don't need an automatic out in the lineup. Especially if its a journeyman already on the down side of his career.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:22 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
I'm always one to preach patience. In fact I did so just yesterday regarding Barmes. But the guy never was good offensively, and after a bad year last year he has been horrible so far this year. It's not bad luck; he doesn't seem to be able to get the bat on the ball or recognize breaking pitches at all.

I don't know how much more time I would give him. We have the potential to be a genuinely good team this year and we don't need an automatic out in the lineup. Especially if its a journeyman already on the down side of his career.

I was dissapointed Barmes even got a shot for this season. He has looked completely terrible in his time with the bucs. NH should be looking for Barmes replacement actively through a trade this season, if they want to win.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:19 pm 

Ryann wrote:
I was dissapointed Barmes even got a shot for this season. He has looked completely terrible in his time with the bucs. NH should be looking for Barmes replacement actively through a trade this season, if they want to win.

The Barmes thing would be less of a complaint if FO hadn't brought in J-Mac2 and buried Mercer yet again. It's understandable to see what Barmes brings to the table to start 2013 since he's under contract, but to bring in Barmes-lite while a viable option sits in the minors continues to be head scratching.

Also, weren't you (and others) pushing for Jed Lowrie last July (and/or in the offseason)? Kid has been tearing it up. A missed opportunity.