Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tony Sanchez Maturing
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:56 pm 

I really enjoyed his post game comments lastnight after their win.

Maybe it's finally starting to click for him.

Quote:
Post-game quotes -- C Tony Sanchez

(on if the work he has been doing off the field directly affected his success on the night)
"Absolutely. You know Pags (Tribe hitting coach Mike Pagliarulo), and (Jeff) Livesey our hitting coordinator have been putting in so much work and effort with me as far as in the cages and my pre-game routine. When I go into a BP session, it's really up to me to be stubborn and stick to my approach and what I am try to do and trying to accomplish. It's a lot about with my head, my posture, and getting my weight back on that back leg. That really allowed me to drive that cutter out to left-center and I was lucky enough to get enough of it to where it got out."

(on what was different with Gerrit Cole on this night)
"His composure. We used a lot more of his curveball today then his slider and that's what is going to make him a successful pitcher in the Big Leagues. He cannot always rely on a 97 mph fastball because anyone can start squaring that up. Gerrit was a pitcher tonight, he grew up tonight, because he learned that he can't just get by anymore with that fastball. Before the game I said stick with me and I think he only shook me off like one time, maybe three times, it wasn't alot. That really helped us stay on the same page and get in a rhythm and allow him to throw 6.1 innings of great baseball."

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ym ... p&sid=t484

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Tony Sanchez Maturing
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:32 pm 

That is a good read. Thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:25 pm 

Finally!

J/k :roll:

It'd be nice to see Sanchez become the cornerstone behind the plate for the buccos in the future. How old is he now? 26?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:40 pm 

buccosfan77 wrote:
It'd be nice to see Sanchez become the cornerstone behind the plate for the buccos in the future. How old is he now? 26?

He'll turn 25 next month.

He cooled off tonight after a hot stretch at the plate, 0-4 with 3 Ks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:33 pm 

At this point, if Tony Sanchez can become a very good defensive catcher who can hit .250/.325/.425 in the majors, I'd be happy. Unfortunately, that appears to be the guy's ceiling.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:37 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
At this point, if Tony Sanchez can become a very good defensive catcher who can hit .250/.325/.425 in the majors, I'd be happy. Unfortunately, that appears to be the guy's ceiling.

That would be a very good MLB catcher, nearly top 10 with his glove work. I would be happy with plus defense and a .700 ops. Either way he still might make a quality big leaguer.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:05 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

That would be a very good MLB catcher, nearly top 10 with his glove work. I would be happy with plus defense and a .700 ops. Either way he still might make a quality big leaguer.

It's funny. I remember when catchers could catch and hit well. But you are right...anymore if you are good defensively and hit .250 you are in the top end of catchers. Maybe it's always been like that...just seems like there were better hitting catchers 10, 20, 30 years ago. Anyway, hopefully Sanchez comes around...hate to see top picks not contribute at all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:33 pm 

Hundley, Sangy, Simmons, Bench, Feguson, Munson, et. al...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:59 pm 

I think there is probably some memory bias there in that we remember the catchers that were both good offensively and defensively, while we forget the guys who couldn't hit.

Likewise, 15+ years from now, we'll remember Buster Posey and Yadier Molina, Travis D'Arnaud (maybe) and Joe Mauer, and think of this era as the days when catchers could hit, forgetting about Keith Osik and Eli Whiteside, Nick Hundley and John Buck.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:22 pm 

Clay Dalrymple....... :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:29 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:

Probably.

There's always the chance that TS is an 'outlier' who 'puts it together' in the Bigs, though. Just a few notable examples, but...

Pudge Rodriguez wasn't a great hitter in MiLB, but (perhaps PED assisted?) he was devastating for a good long while in the Bigs.

Yadi Molina wasn't a great hitter until he turned 28 either.

So long as TS can 'master' the defensive and mental aspects of catching, that's what matters.

The hitting can always improve as he hits his prime.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:32 pm 

I bet he could hit .081.... :) :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:48 am 

Someone must be watching the board:

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ym ... b&sid=milb

Quote:
Most players understand that they carry their future in their own hands. For Indianapolis catcher Tony Sanchez, that burden is heavier.

"I've got 12 other careers in my hands -- our pitching staff," he said. "With pitch-calling, getting our pitchers through outings as far as they can go, I have a lot of responsibility.

"But that's what I signed up for. That's why I love the catching position."

The path to Pittsburgh hasn't been a smooth one for Sanchez, the fourth overall pick in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft. His first bump in the road came in 2010 with Double-A Altoona, where he batted .241 in 118 games. He returned to the Curve and hit .277 last year, then batted .233 in a 62-game stint with Indianapolis.

When you factor in off-the-field distractions like trouble with Twitter posts in 2011 and an offseason incident in a bar prior to 2012, it's easy to see where questions might arise regarding Sanchez's commitment to his career. But Indians manager Dean Treanor has been pleased with the development Sanchez has shown.

"That shows you his growth and maturity," Treanor said when told that Sanchez takes responsibility for the success of his pitching staff. "That's what we're looking for, especially at that position.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...