Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The "Say Something Nice About Pedro Alvarez" Thread
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:17 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 2230
Number one pick hype. I think of he wasnt a number one pick, his butt would be in the minors.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Say Something Nice About Pedro Alvarez" Thread
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:12 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 2126
Clevelandsux wrote:
Number one pick hype. I think of he wasnt a number one pick, his butt would be in the minors.


This is a say something nice about Pedro thread


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Say Something Nice About Pedro Alvarez" Thread
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:13 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 2126
Nice to see him drive that run in tonight and it came off a lefty.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Say Something Nice About Pedro Alvarez" Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:01 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Clevelandsux wrote:
Number one pick hype. I think of he wasnt a number one pick, his butt would be in the minors.


It would be nice if we had the luxury to put a 30HR bat in the minors, get real. Moskos and Sanchez were #1 picks too. :roll:

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Say Something Nice About Pedro Alvarez" Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:08 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2273
Location: Naples, FL
If Pedro weren't a #1 pick and, say, last year never happened, then yeah, he'd be in the minors.

If Josh Harrison hit 30 HRs last year, he wouldn't be in the minors right now, either.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Say Something Nice About Pedro Alvarez" Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
Back on target, Pedro is getting close, his at bats have been much better, the K's are down, and he is squaring the ball more. He just missed a foul ball HR and has had two solid hit balls the last two nights. Its coming ...

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Say Something Nice About Pedro Alvarez" Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5181
Location: Washington, DC
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Back on target, Pedro is getting close, his at bats have been much better, the K's are down, and he is squaring the ball more. He just missed a foul ball HR and has had two solid hit balls the last two nights. Its coming ...


On the other hand, he swung and missed at three center-cut fastballs from Shelby Miller early in the game (with two ducks on the pond).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Say Something Nice About Pedro Alvarez" Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:30 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3690
Location: Economy, PA
He's had like 45 at bats and has been abysmal, but being this early, if he starts popping homers and doubles like he can, that OPS will climb quickly.

We have no choice but to ride this out. He did this last year too.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Say Something Nice About Pedro Alvarez" Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5181
Location: Washington, DC
Ralphie wrote:
He's had like 45 at bats and has been abysmal, but being this early, if he starts popping homers and doubles like he can, that OPS will climb quickly.

We have no choice but to ride this out. He did this last year too.


Not quite, Ralphie. From Grant Bisbee:

Through 15 games last year, [Pedro] was hitting .149/.200/.426. But that was with four home runs and a double, which makes that version like Miguel Cabrera compared to the current version.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Say Something Nice About Pedro Alvarez" Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
J_C_Steel wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Back on target, Pedro is getting close, his at bats have been much better, the K's are down, and he is squaring the ball more. He just missed a foul ball HR and has had two solid hit balls the last two nights. Its coming ...


On the other hand, he swung and missed at three center-cut fastballs from Shelby Miller early in the game (with two ducks on the pond).


Yeah, the first fastball he should have destroyed the next two were Miller's best fastballs of the night. It isn't there yet, but it is coming.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Say Something Nice About Pedro Alvarez" Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5181
Location: Washington, DC
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Yeah, the first fastball he should have destroyed the next two were Miller's best fastballs of the night. It isn't there yet, but it is coming.


Good hitters should hit good fastballs. I just don't see Pedro on balance. I just see him swinging hard and hoping. Why does a guy with this much talent just lose the ability to hit baseballs for weeks at a time?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Say Something Nice About Pedro Alvarez" Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:49 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
He is the best pure power hitter this team has seen in a long long time. He obviously has the talent or he would not be able to carry the team for weeks at a time like he does. I still think it's a confidence issue sometimes. Reminds me a lot of Jeff King in that respect.

I really think he will get to the consistency we need him to have this year.

He works hard.

He cares, whether some of you don't want to think that or not.

One other thing...when he puts it all together like I think and hope he can, the Bucs need to talk to him about long term and make him realize he may not be suited to go somewhere as a big free agent signing.

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Say Something Nice About Pedro Alvarez" Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2273
Location: Naples, FL
J_C_Steel wrote:
Ralphie wrote:
He's had like 45 at bats and has been abysmal, but being this early, if he starts popping homers and doubles like he can, that OPS will climb quickly.

We have no choice but to ride this out. He did this last year too.


Not quite, Ralphie. From Grant Bisbee:

Through 15 games last year, [Pedro] was hitting .149/.200/.426. But that was with four home runs and a double, which makes that version like Miguel Cabrera compared to the current version.



There was also a 20-game stretch in May where he hit 0 HRs and batted .140

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Say Something Nice About Pedro Alvarez" Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5181
Location: Washington, DC
Animal wrote:
I really think he will get to the consistency we need him to have this year.


He's already failed on this one given how awful he's been in April. Even if he picks it up, he's been an absolute dead weight for the first 14 games of the season.

Animal wrote:
One other thing...when he puts it all together like I think and hope he can, the Bucs need to talk to him about long term and make him realize he may not be suited to go somewhere as a big free agent signing.


If he puts it all together, he'll be paid a ton of money in free agency. Given that Scott Boras is his agent, that's what I expect.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Say Something Nice About Pedro Alvarez" Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:58 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
J_C_Steel wrote:
Animal wrote:
I really think he will get to the consistency we need him to have this year.


He's already failed on this one given how awful he's been in April. Even if he picks it up, he's been an absolute dead weight for the first 14 games of the season.

Animal wrote:
One other thing...when he puts it all together like I think and hope he can, the Bucs need to talk to him about long term and make him realize he may not be suited to go somewhere as a big free agent signing.


If he puts it all together, he'll be paid a ton of money in free agency. Given that Scott Boras is his agent, that's what I expect.


First 14 games. Big woop! That is less than 10% of the season...one bad game if it were football.

That's the point I was making. Even with Scott Boras, the Bucs need to make him realize that he could excel here, but signing a big contract somewhere else comes with a lot of pressure and would be starting all over again.

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Say Something Nice About Pedro Alvarez" Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5181
Location: Washington, DC
Animal wrote:
First 14 games. Big woop! That is less than 10% of the season...one bad game if it were football.


Sure, but it's not even that he's been bad. He's been god-awful. In 45 at-bats, the guy has managed to hit the ball out of the infield a grand total of 6 (SIX!) times. He has one more hit and one more RBI than Barry Zito. He's utterly lost. He looks at strikes. He swings at balls. He can't catch up to center-cut fastballs. He can't foul off down-and-away off-speed stuff.

If he doesn't go on a hot streak soon, he'll struggle to get back to .200 for the season.

Animal wrote:
That's the point I was making. Even with Scott Boras, the Bucs need to make him realize that he could excel here, but signing a big contract somewhere else comes with a lot of pressure and would be starting all over again.


It would be starting all over again with a huge sack of cash. Pedro Alvarez will get paid. If he performs to his talent level, he will be gone after 6 seasons in the big leagues.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Say Something Nice About Pedro Alvarez" Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 2273
Location: Naples, FL
As I mentioned in another thread, he also has one more RBI than Giancarlo Stanton, a guy many wanted to sell the farm for.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Say Something Nice About Pedro Alvarez" Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:42 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5677
Blass mentioned that Cutch didn't have a HR until May of last year, so there's still plenty of time for 'Dro to 'do his thing'.

Of course, we all know Cutch is a more complete hitter than Toro, but...

The kid is psyched out enough that 'baby steps' (extending AB's and/or drawing walks) are a good thing at this point.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Say Something Nice About Pedro Alvarez" Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:42 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 2230
Ok he hit one out. I give you some love, until next at bat.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The "Say Something Nice About Pedro Alvarez" Thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:59 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 5677
Hotlanta is scurrrrrrred of him.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits