Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boston Marathon explosion
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:44 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'm sick, absolutely sick.

#19 Oklahoma Sooners (5-2) at Iowa State Cyclones (2-5)
November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA
11:00 AM Fox Sports 1

Post subject: Re: Boston Marathon explosion
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:03 pm 

Two explosions 15-20 seconds apart........ :cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:08 pm 
 WWW  Profile

November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:36 pm 

What the hell is wrong with people?

My niece is a teacher in Boston and was actually there at the Marathon. OK. Terrified, but ok!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:19 pm 

One source reported a third, unexploded bomb found at scene as well.

A third, undetonated device was found near the finish line, a House Homeland Security Committee official and three law enforcement officials told NBC News.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04 ... jured?lite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:38 am 
 WWW  Profile

A total of 5 bombs has been reported.
3 confirmed dead including a 8-year old boy.

What is the deal with people? Catch this guy please.
Fill Fenway and then let him loose in the middle. Bring back Gladiator justice.

FIL Pirates Fan Page

A fan-made, fan-run site to support the Marauders/Pirates.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:15 am 

Terrible.
I have honstly wondered for years about an attack on our sporting events as a symbol to make us all worry about the next one. Think about the number of football games pro and college with their large crowds. The Master's, baseball playoffs, Nascar, Tennis Open, Hockey---- that's been and still is my fear.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:33 am 

Where has Bob in Boston gone? Are you still with us Bob? Can you enlighten us about this mess?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:47 am 

LetsGoMarauders wrote:
What is the deal with people? Catch this guy please.
Fill Fenway and then let him loose in the middle. Bring back Gladiator justice.

Good lord, no. We all know how well that worked for the Romans....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:37 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
Where has Bob in Boston gone? Are you still with us Bob? Can you enlighten us about this mess?

Bob quit the board after Judge Landis personally attacked him in a political thread elsewhere on the board.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:56 pm 

Our country is steadily seeing more of this terrorism. My heart goes out to those directly affected by this tragedy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:06 pm 

buccosfan77 wrote:
Our country is steadily seeing more of this terrorism. My heart goes out to those directly affected by this tragedy.

And yet we've been incredibly blessed, almost. Casualty figures are 3 dead, 170+ wounded (17 or so critical). There were literally scores of thousands of people on the street yesterday. The devastation and loss of life could have been soooo much worse. Same with the Twin Towers. And if we're not focusing on terrorism, even Katrina was less lethal than say the Japanese Tsunami.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:36 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

Bob quit the board after Judge Landis personally attacked him in a political thread elsewhere on the board.

Bob and I disagreed politically. I don't think I was offensive to him and hope I had nothing to do with his quiting the board. And what happened to the Judge? Gone for a long time, back last summer and gone again????

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:33 pm 

Yeah he cashed it in apparently..... :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:46 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:

Not trying to stir the pot here but this simply isn't true (not the Bob quitting part, but his apparent excuse for doing so).

I was reading that thread when it happened (and just went back and re-read it, as your comment obviously piqued my interest). What happened is pretty simple, the two of them got in an argument about a rather polarizing political/social issue. Bob made a snarky comment to defend his POV and seemed offended and unable to cope when JL (and others) challenged what he had said, which is obviously commonplace and should have been known when posting about something political on a public forum. JL did call Bob a hypocrite, which is again, pretty common-level vitriol for an argument on the internet. But nothing he ever said should be labeled a "personal attack", I think that's doing JL a pretty large disservice. I know neither of these guys personally, and nor do my own political views influence what I said here ... had JL quit because of Bob's comments I'd be saying the same thing. But yeah, definitely not accurate to say that JL personally attacked Bob because he had a different opinion and wasn't afraid to express it. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that Bob chose to quit because he was offended that others weren't afraid to passionately express views he disagreed with.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:37 am 

Boy you said that very well Shark. Don't know yhe chosen profession for your life's journey but negotiator may be your true calling.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:42 am 

TheShark wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

Not trying to stir the pot here but this simply isn't true (not the Bob quitting part, but his apparent excuse for doing so).

I was reading that thread when it happened (and just went back and re-read it, as your comment obviously piqued my interest). What happened is pretty simple, the two of them got in an argument about a rather polarizing political/social issue. Bob made a snarky comment to defend his POV and seemed offended and unable to cope when JL (and others) challenged what he had said, which is obviously commonplace and should have been known when posting about something political on a public forum. JL did call Bob a hypocrite, which is again, pretty common-level vitriol for an argument on the internet. But nothing he ever said should be labeled a "personal attack", I think that's doing JL a pretty large disservice. I know neither of these guys personally, and nor do my own political views influence what I said here ... had JL quit because of Bob's comments I'd be saying the same thing. But yeah, definitely not accurate to say that JL personally attacked Bob because he had a different opinion and wasn't afraid to express it. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that Bob chose to quit because he was offended that others weren't afraid to passionately express views he disagreed with.

Yeah, but Landis had a perpetual chip on his shoulder and he was always spoiling for a fight.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:47 am 

Calling someone a hypocrite is a personal attack, even if the person is in fact a hypocrite.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:19 am 
 WWW  Profile

Back to the Marathon...

This is a story of my friends from Sioux City. I grew up with Matt Chatham and his wife Erin. We went to middle school, high school, and then to college together. Simply...amazing.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/i ... ned-mayhem

November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:04 am 

TheShark wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

It was quite a bit more than that.

It started with this signoff from judge to bob - "but in the meantime, step the fuck off."

to which bob was offended and judge then replied with " It wasn't respectful in any way, shape or form, so get off your high horse, you hypocrite. I'm sorry if your delicate sensibilites can't withstand a stray cuss word. I had assumed that you were an adult. Guess *I* was mistaken on that one."

then it got ugly with others involved leading to this from judge - "You are cowardly and intellectually dishonest in the way that you debate. Make of that what you will, Bob. I could give (in the interest of preserving your virginal ears) a rat's patooty."

There was plenty of reasons to argue with Bob's views in the discussion, but he was told to F' off, called a hypocrite, coward, and dishonest.

It got to the point where the admins were involved.