Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Minors 4/9/13
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:23 am 

- Indianapolis won 3-2 in ten innings. Andy Oliver tossed 5 scoreless innings while striking out 5 and only allowing 3 hits. Jordy Mercer went 3-4 with his first HR of the year. Hey, I usually use this recap to talk badly about how bad Brandon Inge was, and he was 0-4 but at least he didn't strike out.

- Altoona's bats finally woke up in a 14-6 destroying of Akron, but let's just cut to the chase with the big news ... Andrew Lambo hit for the cycle (the first in the Curve's 15-year history). And it only took him until the fifth inning to do so, as the hits came chronologically (single all the way HR) in every inning except the second in which the Curve went down in order until the homer came in the fifth. Someone on the board made a thread wondering if Lambo had anything left as a prospect, while the potential was still there, he looked like a bit of a lost cause repeating at AA this year, but his hot start is obviously nice to see. Elsewhere, Mel Rojas went 4-6, Alex Dickerson hit two doubles, and Matt Curry had two hits. Rough start from Brandon Cumpton that ultimately didn't matter due to Altoona's 18 hits.

- Bradenton dropped their fifth straight game to start the season, 6-2 to Charlotte. As has been the case in all of their games thus far, their SP was bombed, tonight it was Eliecer Navarro who gave up 7 hits through 6IP. Zack Von Rosenberg continues to post poor results in a relief role. Offensively, there were a few highlights ... hits by the usual suspects of Polanco and Hanson, and each of them both had stolen bases as well.

Post subject: Re: Minors 4/9/13
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:45 am 

I still feel like Dickerson could end up being a great prospect. Seemed to me like people completely wrote him off last year because he wasn't killing HR's, yet the stats were still pretty solid. Power seems like it's there, he just hasn't tapped it yet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:05 am 

I agree. If he is hitting gaps right now and commanding the strike zone, I'm optimistic about him. He's too big not to hit a few out of PNC.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:37 pm 

Yeah, I've always liked Dickerson a lot. Between one of he, Matt Curry and Jerry Sands I hope one of them can establish themselves as a legitimate, promising 1B prospect this year.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:39 pm 

In the case of Sands, he better establish himself this year as something more than a prospect. Those days are gone for him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:59 pm 

That's pretty cool, going single, double, triple, homer. A natural straight.

I don't know where Lambo's newfound inspiration has come from, but I like it.