Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Meanwhile in Atlanta
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
BBF wrote:
Remember when we thought it was a good idea to not bring Maholm back and were elated to have Bedard fill his shoes?

We are quite a prescient bunch.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8137&view=next


Thanks for that Chris, it reminded me how pissed off I was about the Rizzo trade all over again. Now I'm really angry about it.

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Meanwhile in Atlanta
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:55 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
Barrys Dopers wrote:
BBF wrote:
Remember when we thought it was a good idea to not bring Maholm back and were elated to have Bedard fill his shoes?

We are quite a prescient bunch.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8137&view=next


Thanks for that Chris, it reminded me how pissed off I was about the Rizzo trade all over again. Now I'm really angry about it.


But if we got Rizzo, we never would have gotten Gaby Sanchez. :?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Meanwhile in Atlanta
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:10 pm
Posts: 1915
BBF wrote:

But if we got Rizzo, we never would have gotten Gaby Sanchez. :?

NH's thought process scoffs at you!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Meanwhile in Atlanta
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:37 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:01 pm
Posts: 88
Two years ago, I spoke with Tim Naehring who was in town scouting for the Yankees. I asked him if they considered Paul a worth while left hander and someone that the Yankees might consider trading for. He broke it down like this. Each player is rated 1-5. 1 being the best and 5 being the worst. He had Maholm rated 4.5. There were various reasons why he was rated that low, age at the time we were speaking. He didn't have full command of all his pitches.
But I will say this, somebody worked with him and that is why over the last 20 games he has been a top notch #3 #4 guy. Getting 11m was a fairly good deal but if he continues his form over the next two seasons, someone will get him for 30 or 35m


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Meanwhile in Atlanta
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:45 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 2782
Anyone want some more Bedard talk?

Here's what he did in his Astros debut tonight:

- 1st inning: BB, BB, BB, K, wild pitch scores a run, BB, two-run single, three-run HR, Bedard pulled with 0.1 IP.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Meanwhile in Atlanta
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:30 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 3352
Location: Wheeling, WV
BBF wrote:
Remember when we thought it was a good idea to not bring Maholm back and were elated to have Bedard fill his shoes?

We are quite a prescient bunch.

http://pittsburghsports.net/viewtopic.p ... &view=next

Honey, get me the dictionary- do we still have one? "prescient" --- very impressive indeed.

_________________
2011 Will Be Our Year -- well make that 2012 (just saying) So it looks like 2013 now - how long must this go on!
THIS IS IT-- NO MORE STREAK!!! *** Finally*** Time to win it in 2014


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Meanwhile in Atlanta
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 4553
Location: Pittsburgh
johnswahoo wrote:
Two years ago, I spoke with Tim Naehring who was in town scouting for the Yankees. I asked him if they considered Paul a worth while left hander and someone that the Yankees might consider trading for. He broke it down like this. Each player is rated 1-5. 1 being the best and 5 being the worst. He had Maholm rated 4.5. There were various reasons why he was rated that low, age at the time we were speaking. He didn't have full command of all his pitches.
But I will say this, somebody worked with him and that is why over the last 20 games he has been a top notch #3 #4 guy. Getting 11m was a fairly good deal but if he continues his form over the next two seasons, someone will get him for 30 or 35m

Maholm's ERA in his last season with the Bucs was 3.66. He didn't just learn to pitch after leaving Pittsburgh. If his option wasn't so high, he'd have pitched here last year.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Meanwhile in Atlanta
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 4417
Location: Washington, DC
sisyphus wrote:
Maholm's ERA in his last season with the Bucs was 3.66. He didn't just learn to pitch after leaving Pittsburgh. If his option wasn't so high, he'd have pitched here last year.


Given his durability and performance, he was worth that option. Alternatively, the Pirates could have lessened the one-year cost by signing him to a 2- or 3-year extension. It was a mistake to lose him.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Meanwhile in Atlanta
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:21 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:21 am
Posts: 4863
If the Bucs had kept Maholm, would they have pushed to trade for A.J. and /or Wandy?

In a 'perfect world', with all three of those pitchers as they are right now, the Bucs would be closer to 94 wins on paper than a hopeful 84.

There's still plenty of optimism abound, but too bad it all didn't fall into place.

_________________
Rage, rage against the regression of the light.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, No. 9, Ralphie and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits