Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Meanwhile in Atlanta
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:19 pm 

BBF wrote:
Remember when we thought it was a good idea to not bring Maholm back and were elated to have Bedard fill his shoes?

We are quite a prescient bunch.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8137&view=next

Thanks for that Chris, it reminded me how pissed off I was about the Rizzo trade all over again. Now I'm really angry about it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:55 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
BBF wrote:
Remember when we thought it was a good idea to not bring Maholm back and were elated to have Bedard fill his shoes?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8137&view=next

Thanks for that Chris, it reminded me how pissed off I was about the Rizzo trade all over again. Now I'm really angry about it.

But if we got Rizzo, we never would have gotten Gaby Sanchez. :?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:21 pm 

BBF wrote:

But if we got Rizzo, we never would have gotten Gaby Sanchez. :?

NH's thought process scoffs at you!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:37 am 

Two years ago, I spoke with Tim Naehring who was in town scouting for the Yankees. I asked him if they considered Paul a worth while left hander and someone that the Yankees might consider trading for. He broke it down like this. Each player is rated 1-5. 1 being the best and 5 being the worst. He had Maholm rated 4.5. There were various reasons why he was rated that low, age at the time we were speaking. He didn't have full command of all his pitches.
But I will say this, somebody worked with him and that is why over the last 20 games he has been a top notch #3 #4 guy. Getting 11m was a fairly good deal but if he continues his form over the next two seasons, someone will get him for 30 or 35m

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:45 am 

Anyone want some more Bedard talk?

Here's what he did in his Astros debut tonight:

- 1st inning: BB, BB, BB, K, wild pitch scores a run, BB, two-run single, three-run HR, Bedard pulled with 0.1 IP.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:30 am 

BBF wrote:

http://pittsburghsports.net/viewtopic.p ... &view=next

Honey, get me the dictionary- do we still have one? "prescient" --- very impressive indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:02 pm 

johnswahoo wrote:
Two years ago, I spoke with Tim Naehring who was in town scouting for the Yankees. I asked him if they considered Paul a worth while left hander and someone that the Yankees might consider trading for. He broke it down like this. Each player is rated 1-5. 1 being the best and 5 being the worst. He had Maholm rated 4.5. There were various reasons why he was rated that low, age at the time we were speaking. He didn't have full command of all his pitches.
But I will say this, somebody worked with him and that is why over the last 20 games he has been a top notch #3 #4 guy. Getting 11m was a fairly good deal but if he continues his form over the next two seasons, someone will get him for 30 or 35m

Maholm's ERA in his last season with the Bucs was 3.66. He didn't just learn to pitch after leaving Pittsburgh. If his option wasn't so high, he'd have pitched here last year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:35 pm 
 WWW  Profile

sisyphus wrote:
Maholm's ERA in his last season with the Bucs was 3.66. He didn't just learn to pitch after leaving Pittsburgh. If his option wasn't so high, he'd have pitched here last year.

Given his durability and performance, he was worth that option. Alternatively, the Pirates could have lessened the one-year cost by signing him to a 2- or 3-year extension. It was a mistake to lose him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:21 pm 

If the Bucs had kept Maholm, would they have pushed to trade for A.J. and /or Wandy?

In a 'perfect world', with all three of those pitchers as they are right now, the Bucs would be closer to 94 wins on paper than a hopeful 84.

There's still plenty of optimism abound, but too bad it all didn't fall into place.