Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meanwhile in Atlanta
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:44 pm 

Former pirate pitcher Paul Maholm is 11-5 with a 2.28 era in his last 20 starts. 104 k in 126 innings.
Never understood why we didn't keep Maholm around he was becoming a pretty good pitcher for us.

Also in Atlanta Justin Upton has 6 homerun and a .423 average through the first 7 games of the season. I thought everyone didn't want Upton because his power wouldn't translate outside chase field? :roll:
Pirates should have made a move for this guy at last years trade deadline.

Post subject: Re: Meanwhile in Atlanta
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:52 pm 

I wanted the Bucs to hold on to Maholm. He's a perfect fit for PNC Park and he's just a consistent, tough pitcher. I'd rather have him than Liriano, for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:02 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
I wanted the Bucs to hold on to Maholm. He's a perfect fit for PNC Park and he's just a consistent, tough pitcher. I'd rather have him than Liriano, for sure.

Yeah I do think they misjudged his market value, as did I. I thought he would get something like 3 years $30-35 million which would have been steep for a guy off a 1.7 WAR season. The fact that he only got a 2 year $11 million deal this winter shocked me and certainly he is more than worth that contract. I was always a big Maholm apologist and at a contract cheaper than Liriano he should have been a big time target.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:13 pm 

Upton's problems don't stem from a lack of talent. It's attitude, I would still say, like Sheffeild before him, I don't want a guy who quit on his teammates.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:21 pm 

He never quit on his teammates. Didn't happen.... ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:29 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
He never quit on his teammates. Didn't happen.... ;)

If you're saying Uptons problem isn't his attitude, we'll just have to disagree. If you're talking about Sheffield, you're wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:33 pm 

Talking about Upton... :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:32 pm 

Good to see Maholm thriving.

It would have been nice if it was with this team, but oh well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:01 pm 

Consider me in the camp that wanted Maholm back. Even at his worst he was an innings guy. And considering the type of pitchers we usually bring in here, he was well worth the "risk".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:25 pm 

Ryann wrote:
Former pirate pitcher Paul Maholm is 11-5 with a 2.28 era in his last 20 starts. 104 k in 126 innings.
Never understood why we didn't keep Maholm around he was becoming a pretty good pitcher for us.

Also in Atlanta Justin Upton has 6 homerun and a .423 average through the first 7 games of the season. I thought everyone didn't want Upton because his power wouldn't translate outside chase field? :roll:

For once I agree with Ryann...regarding Maholm that is. Maholm is a guy the Bucs should have made a bigger attempt to keep. But then again, look at what they did to Karstens this off-season.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:52 pm 

Remember when we thought it was a good idea to not bring Maholm back and were elated to have Bedard fill his shoes?

We are quite a prescient bunch.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8137&view=next

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:04 pm 

I don't think I was ever in line with that school of thought!

No need to dig up a former post to prove me wrong! I was on heavy pain killers at this time last year!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:24 am 

Animal wrote:
Ryann wrote:

For once I agree with Ryann...regarding Maholm that is. Maholm is a guy the Bucs should have made a bigger attempt to keep. But then again, look at what they did to Karstens this off-season.

They were dead right about Karstens. He's still not throwing off the mound. It may end up that they overpaid for him. I would have tendered him, but Huntington did a great job of reading the market.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:27 am 

Maholm scared me because of his left knee. He had ACL surgery in high school and I think in college too. He also had two seasons where it was bothering him and he chose to work through it.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:34 am 

Indeed, replacing Maholm with Bedard turns out to be a terrible idea. However, taking the position that Maholm would be the same pitcher today if he remained with the Pirates, rather than moving to the Braves, is just as bad an idea in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:39 am 

Seeing how cheap Upton went for, it might of been worth looking into. But what's his contract/FA status like, though? Nobody of his caliber is worth the Pirates trading for if they're not going to be with us for 2-4 seasons at least.

Upton has been murdering the ball. It's not just the HR's, it's the power of them. He's hitting some freaking moonshots. The speculation that he can't hit away from Arizona doesn't seem to hold much weight anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:03 pm 

BBF wrote:
Remember when we thought it was a good idea to not bring Maholm back and were elated to have Bedard fill his shoes?

We are quite a prescient bunch.

http://pittsburghsports.net/viewtopic.p ... &view=next

Ahem. Who was the guy in that thread who said the Pirates should have kept Maholm? Oh yeah, that was me...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:16 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Ahem. Who was the guy in that thread who said the Pirates should have kept Maholm? Oh yeah, that was me...

Sorry to ruin your pat yourself on the back moment but ...

TheShark wrote:
And I say that as someone who was in favor of retaining Maholm and Cedeno.

There were plenty of people not keen on losing Maholm. I said in that thread that I thought that Bedard could be a slight improvement but I was in favor just retaining Maholm in the first place. While Bedard was a risk he did still come with strikeout stuff and I think the naysayers kind of viewed Maholm as the last remaining representative of a previous decade pure of pitch-to-contact Pirates SPers who were counted on to be a the the top of the rotation (Duke, Correia, Snell, Gorzolanny, etc.). Obviously Maholm was still decent despite his late season injury.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:04 pm 

Leway512 wrote:
Seeing how cheap Upton went for, it might of been worth looking into. But what's his contract/FA status like, though? Nobody of his caliber is worth the Pirates trading for if they're not going to be with us for 2-4 seasons at least.

Upton has been murdering the ball. It's not just the HR's, it's the power of them. He's hitting some freaking moonshots. The speculation that he can't hit away from Arizona doesn't seem to hold much weight anymore.

He is signed through the 2015 season. His contract was 6 years and around 50 million when he signed it. So if the pirates would have acquired him last summer they would have him under a pretty friendly contract for 3 and a half years.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:16 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Indeed, replacing Maholm with Bedard turns out to be a terrible idea. However, taking the position that Maholm would be the same pitcher today if he remained with the Pirates, rather than moving to the Braves, is just as bad an idea in my opinion.

As usual, I agree with you.

Things weren't working and like it or not, the GM's job is to shake things up and make changes when wins aren't coming. Sometimes players discover something when they are in a new environment.

Hindsight 20/20. meh