Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Russel Martin
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:27 pm
Posts: 356
Location: Morgantown, WV, via Charleston, WV
Martin is amazing at framing pitches. But after 4+ games, the guy needs to get his first hit as a Pirate. If he continues to struggle at the plate, we'll need to see if the Fort can get the bat on the ball. This hitting slump is getting frustrating. Not blaming Martin, but come on. How about a hit!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Russel Martin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:32 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:00 am
Posts: 2807
Getting picked off at first for seemingly no reason in one of our only scoring chances of the game certainly doesn't bode well either.

Defensively he did save a couple of runs when Hughes was pitching with the bases loaded, however.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Russel Martin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:33 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 776
I'm sorry but our pitching has been pretty outstanding through these first few games and I'm gonna say that it has a lot to do with Martin. I don't care if he bats 200 this year. Catching is about defense and pitcher management not offense. Bat him 8th and keep our pitchers happy.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Russel Martin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:41 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1139
Location: Eastern Shore
rellimie wrote:
I'm sorry but our pitching has been pretty outstanding through these first few games and I'm gonna say that it has a lot to do with Martin. I don't care if he bats 200 this year. Catching is about defense and pitcher management not offense. Bat him 8th and keep our pitchers happy.

We already have an 8th hitter though.... We can say the same thing about SS being more about defense, but given our overall offensive woes, we need to give McHenry something of an extended run right now.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Russel Martin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:47 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 1627
Martin didn't hit squat last year. Homering totals blown up due to playing in a hitters friendly for right handers.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Russel Martin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:42 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
Martin will end up with the best offensive numbers we have had in years from the catching position, while being the best DEFENSIVE catcher we have seen in a long long time.

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Russel Martin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:27 pm
Posts: 356
Location: Morgantown, WV, via Charleston, WV
Hope you are right Animal. The Fort hitting 5th today, so that's interesting. Like to see Martin start to pound the ball. I'm "all-in" this year, but was pointing out that we need to see some hits soon from Martin.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Russel Martin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:37 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 1685
so far he looks like a highly priced barajas.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Russel Martin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 765
Location: Rochester, New York
Clevelandsux wrote:
so far he looks like a highly priced barajas.


Rod Barajas is not in the same league as Russell Martin.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Russel Martin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:08 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:46 am
Posts: 1627
JollyRoger wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:
so far he looks like a highly priced barajas.


Rod Barajas is not in the same league as Russell Martin.


Prove it!... ;)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Russel Martin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:45 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 776
Clevelandsux wrote:
so far he looks like a highly priced barajas.


That's a typical statement from people that only evaluate hitters on batting average and home runs.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Russel Martin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:46 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:42 pm
Posts: 776
val wrote:
rellimie wrote:
I'm sorry but our pitching has been pretty outstanding through these first few games and I'm gonna say that it has a lot to do with Martin. I don't care if he bats 200 this year. Catching is about defense and pitcher management not offense. Bat him 8th and keep our pitchers happy.

We already have an 8th hitter though.... We can say the same thing about SS being more about defense, but given our overall offensive woes, we need to give McHenry something of an extended run right now.


McKenry won't make enough of an impact that's worth sacrificing what Martin does defensively.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Russel Martin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 5:34 pm
Posts: 765
Location: Rochester, New York
buccosfan77 wrote:
JollyRoger wrote:
Clevelandsux wrote:
so far he looks like a highly priced barajas.


Rod Barajas is not in the same league as Russell Martin.


Prove it!... ;)


Image

8-) 8-)


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Russel Martin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:56 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:01 pm
Posts: 5832
Location: Slickville, PA
Awesome Jolly Roger..

PROOF enough for me that they are not in the SAME LEAGUE! lol

_________________
"Live proud! Laugh Loud! Standout in a Crowd!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Russel Martin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:26 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm
Posts: 1685
Martin at this point reminds me of a Derek bell or George Hendrick. Highly paid f/a that is not producing. I'm sure( or at least hope) he is better defensively than Barajas. But his batting sure isn't.

And that is no Barajas.lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Russel Martin
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 10222
Clevelandsux wrote:
Martin at this point reminds me of a Derek bell or George Hendrick. Highly paid f/a that is not producing.

Look, the Pirates are ugly right now but comparing Martin to two of the worst players (in terms of both production AND effort) to wear the Pirates uniform the past 27 years, after 5 games for Martin, is just not fair.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Russel Martin
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:25 am 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 1884
Location: Naples, FL
Cutch is hitting .238. WE'RE PAYING A GUY $12 MILLION TO HIT .238!??!?!??! AHHHHHH

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Russel Martin
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:50 pm
Posts: 3879
Location: Glenshaw, PA
buccosfan77 wrote:
Martin didn't hit squat last year. Homering totals blown up due to playing in a hitters friendly for right handers.


Not entirely true, Yankee stadium helps LH a ton with the short RF, but for RH its park factor is 0.98, league average (the HR rate is still pretty high, tied for 10th). Of course PNC hurts RH at 0.88 and 2nd lowest HR rate in MLB. PNC has really turned into a pitchers park, 4th best in the league for pitchers behind only Seattle, SF, and SD. Two of those moved their fences in for 2013.

http://rotogrinders.com/pages/Ballpark_Factors-49556

_________________
Well NH did get Cutch signed, but what have you done for me lately?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Russel Martin
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 1884
Location: Naples, FL
Barrys Dopers wrote:
buccosfan77 wrote:
Martin didn't hit squat last year. Homering totals blown up due to playing in a hitters friendly for right handers.


Not entirely true, Yankee stadium helps LH a ton with the short RF, but for RH its park factor is 0.98, league average (the HR rate is still pretty high, tied for 10th). Of course PNC hurts RH at 0.88 and 2nd lowest HR rate in MLB. PNC has really turned into a pitchers park, 4th best in the league for pitchers behind only Seattle, SF, and SD. Two of those moved their fences in for 2013.

http://rotogrinders.com/pages/Ballpark_Factors-49556



I read somewhere that the large majority of Martin's Yankee Stadium HRs last year wouldn't have been HRs in any other park. I'll look it up because my memory is hazy.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Russel Martin
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 1884
Location: Naples, FL
Ok, I remembered wrong.

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/detail. ... ype=hitter

Still, 9 of Martin's 21 HRs would not have been out of PNC.

_________________
AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bucco boy, Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, RTJR and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits