Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: JMac's Velocity
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:34 pm 

buccosfan77 wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
Well, you can't let him go out there in his next start throwing 88-mph meatballs down the middle. That probably won't work.

Any word on him. He's scheduled to go Sunday I believe. Been pretty quiet on the jmac front.

The "powers that be" are insisting he's fine. He sure doesn't look fine. He was basically throwing batting practice to the Cardinals in that second inning on Monday night. It'll be another short outing for J-Mac if he's barely hitting 90 mph on the gun next time up...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:28 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
buccosfan77 wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
Well, you can't let him go out there in his next start throwing 88-mph meatballs down the middle. That probably won't work.

Any word on him. He's scheduled to go Sunday I believe. Been pretty quiet on the jmac front.

The "powers that be" are insisting he's fine. He sure doesn't look fine. He was basically throwing batting practice to the Cardinals in that second inning on Monday night. It'll be another short outing for J-Mac if he's barely hitting 90 mph on the gun next time up...

I think that McDonald is more anecdotal evidence that pitchers often have injuries that first show themselves with ineffectiveness well before the pain starts. I'm convinced that he's going to be seeing Dr. Andrews before the season is out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:51 am 

sisyphus wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

I think that McDonald is more anecdotal evidence that pitchers often have injuries that first show themselves with ineffectiveness well before the pain starts. I'm convinced that he's going to be seeing Dr. Andrews before the season is out.

Yeah, a lot like Morton last year when his velocity was down and no one could explain it. BTW, Morton hit 96 last night and was at 93-95 most of the game, looks like another TJ success story.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:58 am 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Yeah, a lot like Morton last year when his velocity was down and no one could explain it. BTW, Morton hit 96 last night and was at 93-95 most of the game, looks like another TJ success story.

Wow- and that's with nasty movement on the sinker.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:10 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

I fully agree with you about McDonald. And if Morton can keep that sinker down, he can be VERY effective.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:36 pm 

I hope Johnny-Mac is okay. However, I think sisyphus makes a good point about effectiveness declining before the pain finally tells the pitcher, "That's enough."

Also, pitchers experience pain as a normal part of pitching. The damage to the muscles takes several days to recover, even with no injury. Pitchers ice their arms to reduce inflammation, but that also deadens the pain.

Therefore, a pitcher may well be experiencing pain, but the combination of "it always hurts for three days" and ice mask the pain. Further, as a matter of human nature, the pitcher just does not want to believe that he is hurting more than normal.

Denial is more than just a river in Egypt.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:02 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:

Can he start still?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:12 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
Denial is more than just a river in Egypt.

It is? :o :o :o

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:04 am 

Averaged a tick over 91 for his 2nd straight start yesterday. Not quite where he should be, but much better than the early sub-90 starts.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:39 am 

For perspective - http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/early- ... ent-791978

David Price and CC are having much greater issues thus far.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:37 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Averaged a tick over 91 for his 2nd straight start yesterday. Not quite where he should be, but much better than the early sub-90 starts.

Ya know the other thing is he needs to be able to snap off that curve. Some games he does, some he doesn't. Wasn't able to see yesterday's game. When it's flat two things happen...it gets hit hard and/or he throws it all over the place. I agree though, getting his velocity back is important.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:10 pm 

His curve was sharp, but for some reason, beginning in the 4th inning, he began to throw that fastball where it is waaaaay to high and up-and-in on right-handers.

He unintentionally knocked down a couple of righty hitters. This, after spotting the fastball down at the knees the first 3 innings.

Did not understand why he lost his control so significantly and so quickly. He was at just 45 pitches or so when he began having the problems.

When he starts missing with the fastball like that, his curveball also starts to spin out of his hand early and wind up way too high. Not a hanging curve, since it is too high to hit without a stepladder.

Wondered why Searage did not pay him a visit in the 4th when the problem arose. Left him out there struggling with the problem the entire inning, though Martin did pay a visit after the lead-off walk and two "cement mixer" curve balls.