Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Alvarez
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:04 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
doug frobel wrote:
That at bat was typical of what he does wrong. Pitchers know they can get ahead of him with a fastball away for strike one. Until he starts hammering them into the notch or over the center field fence, they will keep doing it. Hell with taking a pitch. It's always the best one he sees.

From what I've seen, much of this series he did swing at first pitch fastballs. But he fouled them back.

He'll come around. I'm all for working a count when needed, but when there is a blatant pattern that's working against you, you've got to cross them up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:05 pm 

How about blaming the entire offense for not scoring any runs on a shitty starter and not just a shitty closer?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:22 pm 

The pitching as been good. It's the entire offense. No one is hitting the ball well. The whipping boy always is Pedro and of course that's because he was supposed to be the anawer having held out to the last second to get the 6 million. Expectations are very high. His at bat was a regression to his past seasons but actually has had better at bats so far this season.
Truth be told Walker's DP was even more disasterous.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:27 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:

I disagree.

All we needed was a sacrifice fly to tie the game. Making contact isn't too much to ask of your "power hitter".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:41 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Substitute2 wrote:

I disagree. Even with the bases loaded and no outs I would have taken a game-tying double play. Like others on this board, my confidence in Pedro is a zero. He'll go through a great five game stretch where he'll hit seven HR's and win a game or two but yesterday is a microcosm of his young career.

#3 Iowa State Cyclones vs #7 Connecticut Huskies
Sweet Sixteen
March Madness!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:15 pm 

How to K Pedro Alvarez:

1st pitch: Fastball down the middle. No worries, he'll be taking all the way.

2nd pitch: Anything outside, usually change up.

3rd pitch: In the dirt.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:20 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
All we needed was a sacrifice fly to tie the game.

Funny, given that that was only the first out of the inning, I seem to recall that "all we needed was a sacrifice fly to tie the game" out of Walker as well. Or literally anything other than a GIDP for that matter to either tie it, take the lead or keep the inning alive for the next batter. Alvarez as a power hitter and is prone to Ks (and even though he may K a ton, striking out a lot when you're a power hitter capable of 30+ HR hitter isn't exclusive to Alvarez, look around the league). Meanwhile Walker is supposed to be one of the best all-around hitters on the team.

This board can get downright embarrassing when it comes to reactionary criticisms of Alvarez. There is already the irrational, ongoing "he's lazy" comments that hold no merit whatsoever compared to what anyone has ever said about his work ethic that has actually worked with him. In this thread, calling him a "piece of shit", saying that he needed to break his bat or the watercooler to show emotion rather than keeping a cool head, criticizing him because he doesn't conduct himself good enough in interviews and the way he "looks" on the field.

Alvarez is a flawed player who strikes out a lot and plays subpar defense at times. Alvarez has also been a very productive player his rookie year and last year where he posted very good numbers for a third baseman including 30 HRs. He may never be the overall impact player that was anticipated of him when he was drafted. He has to this point been inconsistent although he has only one full healthy big league season under his belt. He may also end up being that. But I'm sorry, let's stop acting like children and bashing him for irrational aspects of his game. If you don't like him as a player, that's fine. But far too often do people dredge off into stupid crap when it comes to trying to call him out. Oh and also, it has been 3 games.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:39 pm 

I was more disappointed in Walker's grounding into a double play to end the game than what Alvarez did during the game. Alvarez is going to strike out and we better get use to it.

As long as he doesn't stand there and TAKE strike three, I've decided I'm okay with all of his K's...provided he knocks the ball over the fence to win a bunch of games.

More frequent run production is all I'm looking for with Pedro and I'll be fine with him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:14 pm 

I don't see how anyone can be upset with Walker for grounding into the double play. He hit the ball hard- you can't always help where it goes and where the defense plays you. If he rolled over on an outside pitch, that's one thing. But it was solidly struck.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:16 pm 

Pedro is going to have some ugly at bats. And he's going to have some really ugly at bats. It goes with the territory of being a power hitter. I thought everyone made peace with it by this point.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:41 pm 

Gosh I hope so.... 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:16 pm 

TheShark wrote:
Alvarez Ks, we still had runners on the corners with 1 out and Walker faced the exact same scenario with the only caveat being that he just can't ground into a DP, which ends the game. And Walker does just that. So question -- what's worse, a strikeout for the first out of the inning or a DP with one out when a sac fly and can tie it? But of course it's the K that everyone will complain about, to the point where he gets criticized for not breaking a water cooler afterward. So stupid. :roll:

But Neil wears his hat right, and he isn't fat, and he has an American sounding name, and he's a local hero. Plus he looks mad when he screws up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:00 pm 

You know, we have 159 more of these things. Some of them are going to be brutal and heart-breaking, like yesterday's game.

Stuff happens. Pedro, I believe, does NOT want to whiff. He had some good swings in the series. The 9th inning yesterday included two of his worst.

But as a very good coach once told my son, "Baseball is a game of failure." Every game features more outs than hits. A lot of balls, and walks. The scoreboard has a freaking column for errors.

So ugly, disappointing loss. But Alvarez, IMO, is not going to be the reason that the Pirates' offense is below league average.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:22 pm 

The REAL bottom line....not sure if I missed anything because I quit reading after a few posts in this thread..

The REAL bottom line is that we have played FOUR stinkin' games. Has ANYBODY produced yet?

Pedro won a lot of games for us last year. Obviously he needs more consistency, but when he finally puts it all together, he is going to be a killer. (Of course, he will probably be traded away or leave via free agency by then).

and to those who say he doesn't care because he doesn't smash things or go on a tirade, that just is not true. I don't remember Willie Stargell ever doing that. Do you?

Go Bucs!