Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alvarez
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:40 pm 

You over rated piece of shit.

Three strikes with no outs and the tying run on third. This is what you get paid for!

Post subject: Re: Alvarez
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:52 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I wouldn't call him overrated anymore. I think he's rated pretty low for a regular third baseman. However, I am not surprised at how his last at bat went. If pitchers never through him a fastball he'd bat under .100.

#7 Baylor Bears (3-0) at Iowa State Cyclones (1-2)
Jack Trice Stadium
September 27, 2014
7:00 PM CST
FOX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:47 am 

I haven't liked Pedro for awhile. He bobbles routine ground balls and strikes out way too much. Not a fan of Pedro.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:17 am 

We have a first round pick and we end up with Pedro. Nats get 2 first round picks and get Strausberg and Harper. Would take either one of them for Pedro. Show some emotion, you just struck out with the runner on third and no outs. Break a bat, a water cooler, do something to show some emotion. Walks back to dugout like nothing happened.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:41 am 
 WWW  Profile

Until he murders a fan with the bat after striking out, I'm just going to assume he doesn't care.

You know who did care? Oliver Perez. He cared.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:41 am 

IMOKRU wrote:
We have a first round pick and we end up with Pedro. Nats get 2 first round picks and get Strausberg and Harper. Would take either one of them for Pedro. Show some emotion, you just struck out with the runner on third and no outs. Break a bat, a water cooler, do something to show some emotion. Walks back to dugout like nothing happened.

We did not take Pedro at 1-1, TB had the pick and took Tim Beckham.

Not everyone acts like a raving lunatic when they fail.

Its kind of funny that Pedro is getting killed, but fanboy Walker gets a pass. But, but, but, he's an RBI machine ... :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:47 am 

Alvarez Ks, we still had runners on the corners with 1 out and Walker faced the exact same scenario with the only caveat being that he just can't ground into a DP, which ends the game. And Walker does just that. So question -- what's worse, a strikeout for the first out of the inning or a DP with one out when a sac fly and can tie it? But of course it's the K that everyone will complain about, to the point where he gets criticized for not breaking a water cooler afterward. So stupid. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:47 am 
 WWW  Profile

Yeah, what did Neil break after that GIDP? Other than Pittsburgher's hearts :(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:48 am 
 WWW  Profile

TheShark wrote:
Alvarez Ks, we still had runners on the corners with 1 out and Walker faced the exact same scenario with the only caveat being that he just can't ground into a DP, which ends the game. And Walker does just that. So question -- what's worse, a strikeout for the first out of the inning or a DP with one out when a sac fly and can tie it? But of course it's the K that everyone will complain about, to the point where he gets criticized for not breaking a water cooler afterward. So stupid. :roll:

It was an awful at-bat for sure and I think it was far worse than Walker's but yeah, the water cooler thing is insane.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:02 am 

TheShark wrote:

Well, they're both equally egregious.

Which brings me back to my main point of contention. We need a better 2nd best hitter on the team. This lineup would look a lot different if Pedro and Neil were the 3rd and 4th best hitters on the team as opposed to the 2rd and 3rd best hitters.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:12 am 

How about they both choked? When the Pirates start producing in these situations with PRODUCTIVE OUTS (No. 9), we might have our pain eased.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:26 am 

val wrote:
TheShark wrote:

Well, they're both equally egregious.

Which brings me back to my main point of contention. We need a better 2nd best hitter on the team. This lineup would look a lot different if Pedro and Neil were the 3rd and 4th best hitters on the team as opposed to the 2rd and 3rd best hitters.

That's why I really wanted the Bucs to go get Chase Headley last year. That guy can rake, even if he doesn't have big-time power.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:50 am 

I don't fault them for taking Alvarez. Most teams would have taken him where the Pirates did. But if this current team is going to succeed they need him to be a productive cleanup hitter. He is not as of yet.

As for breaking a bat, etc...I don't care if he breaks something, but he does not carry himself very well. Whether it is looking like a lost pup, pulling his hat over his ears, jogging to first on ground balls, or answering with "I'm trying my best" for almost every question asked of him, he just doesn't project positively. Everyone isn't a great quote, I realize, but maybe he should watch McCutchen conduct interviews for some help with that.

Bottom line...he needs to be better or this team will continue to tread water. And JC, I'm right there with you on Headley.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:06 pm 

We don't need to picking on Alvarez. He's not very good and thus probably isn't worth the criticism. Maybe one day the light will shine. Last year he hit over 30 homers and for some reason still had my doubts. Don't trust his at bats or expect him to come through in the clutch. Its not in him. Who hasn't seen that by now?

The bucs don't have a good enough nucleus of talent which is a shame for all the high first round picks they've made. Low expectations will lead to less heartache.

Keep your heads up. Lots of baseball left.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:06 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'm sure Brandon Inge gives great interviews. Hell, Ben Roethlisberger is awful at them. I care more about production. And that's why I hated his strikeout yesterday, because it essentially lost the game, not because he didn't put his hat on properly and give a wonderful interview afterwards.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:59 pm 

SUPERCHARGED APE wrote:
I'm sure Brandon Inge gives great interviews. Hell, Ben Roethlisberger is awful at them. I care more about production. And that's why I hated his strikeout yesterday, because it essentially lost the game, not because he didn't put his hat on properly and give a wonderful interview afterwards.

I'm concerned more about his performance too. I grew up with a dad(and coach) who stressed "look like a ballplayer" when you're out there. So I'm old school, I guess, on the hat thing. As for his interview skills, I said he doesn't have to be a great quote. However, he is one of the better players(unfortunately) on the team and he will be sought out more by reporters. So...maybe he could give a little more heartening response to questions than "I'm trying my best."

He performs and I can tolerate the other stuff...still won't care for it, but when he's popping HR's and having good AB's I can overlook it. The ultimate goal is winning games, not giving great interviews...but that stuff shouldn't necessarily be brushed aside completely.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:58 pm 

That at bat was typical of what he does wrong. Pitchers know they can get ahead of him with a fastball away for strike one. Until he starts hammering them into the notch or over the center field fence, they will keep doing it. Hell with taking a pitch. It's always the best one he sees.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:07 pm 

I'm not judging the guy on any single at-bat. Look at what he did last year - a .784 OPS - well above average for his postion. And in fact above average for any postion.

And I expect him to be even better this year. Give him some time. When he gets hot and starts dropping bombs over the fences you will forget about this at bat.

To me he looks ok for this time of year. I don't know if he's really squared up any balls but his timing has been pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:08 pm 
 WWW  Profile

doug frobel wrote:
That at bat was typical of what he does wrong. Pitchers know they can get ahead of him with a fastball away for strike one. Until he starts hammering them into the notch or over the center field fence, they will keep doing it. Hell with taking a pitch. It's always the best one he sees.

From what I've seen, much of this series he did swing at first pitch fastballs. But he fouled them back.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:20 pm 

Pedro's K's and the DP in yesterday's game were surely aggravating results to watch.

However, he did 'work' some counts the entire series and appear to have a more 'mature' approach at the plate.

He's always going to be feast/famine, so these type of 'curse K-dro!' situations will flare up often and become magnified like yesterday's depressing 9th.