It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ex-Pirates owner Lustig: Nutting ‘too rational’
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:44 pm 
 WWW  Profile

J_C_Steel wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
Given the inequitable nature of the MLB system, it's a pertinent and interesting question. Would you rather have an owner with unlimited funds or one who views owning a professional sports franchise as a "business"? The answer is obvious. You want the owner with unlimited funds who views owning a professional sports franchise as akin to owning an expensive piece of art. You want a guy who recognizes and embraces the "psychic benefit" of owning a sports team and is more invested in winning than using his ownership of something so rare and precious to make more money.

This is why it's a stupid question.

Quite frankly, it's your response that's stupid.

In another sport rife with inequities and lacking a salary cap, Sheikh Mansour took a below-average team with a recent history of losing, the Manchester City Football Club, and turned them into champions by spending lavishly. That could happen in Major League Baseball, particularly if a team has an owner with deep pockets who recognizes the "psychic benefit" of owning a winning team and values that over treating the team like any other business or investment.

The question -- and my overall point -- is based on a well-known economic principle explained by Malcolm Gladwell in the linked article and accepted by economists from Harvard to Stanford. But hey, it must be "stupid."

I guess you know more than those pesky economists, bucco boy. Where'd you get your post-graduate degree again?

Doug....I'm with Bucco Boy. Although, to be fair, I didn't go to Stanford.

But I now realize that you can buy success in MLB.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:22 pm 

Just remember, the more money they spend the more the ticket prices will be like the Pens and Steelers...then this board will have something else to bitch about.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:36 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
This is a scary article and this gentleman articulates how tough it's going to be for us fans going forward. Ugh.

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/3769 ... z2PN0DIHqT

"Too rational"? I've seen irrational owners. Howard Baldwin comes immediately to mind. That didn't end too well for the Penguins.

I've asked it a thousand times. Who is this billionaire who will ride into Pittsburgh on a white horse, eager to piss away his fortune to provide baseball fans with better entertainment?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:40 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
Quick straw poll:

Is there anyone on this board who would be unhappy if Sheikh Mansour swooped in, bought 100% of the Pittsburgh Pirates Baseball Club, and spent lavishly on the team? Let's say he came in and immediately paid top dollar to lure Andrew Friedman from the Rays to be the new General Manager for the Pirates and gave Friedman a huge cache of money to spend as he saw fit. Would anyone here be pissed?

Why would anyone be pissed?

Now what are the chances something like that would ever happen? I'm guessing a number beginning with a decimal point followed by many zeroes in front of a one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:18 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
I've asked it a thousand times. Who is this billionaire who will ride into Pittsburgh on a white horse, eager to piss away his fortune to provide baseball fans with better entertainment?

HIs name is Mark Cuban....he has tried already....dumbass nutting 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:42 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
J_C_Steel wrote:
Quick straw poll:

Is there anyone on this board who would be unhappy if Sheikh Mansour swooped in, bought 100% of the Pittsburgh Pirates Baseball Club, and spent lavishly on the team? Let's say he came in and immediately paid top dollar to lure Andrew Friedman from the Rays to be the new General Manager for the Pirates and gave Friedman a huge cache of money to spend as he saw fit. Would anyone here be pissed?

Why would anyone be pissed?

Now what are the chances something like that would ever happen? I'm guessing a number beginning with a decimal point followed by many zeroes in front of a one.

It's happened frequently in the world of international professional soccer. It's a pretty significant percentage of the most recent club sales. Russian oligarchs, middle eastern oilmen and Far Asian billionaires. The NBA already has an Russian oligarch. Sooner or later it will happen in MLB. And then it will happen with greater frequency.

As for your question as to why someone would be pissed, it's because it feels kind of slimy to have your beloved club owned by some 3rd World mobster. It's only marginally better than having Danny Snyder buy your Redskins. And, for those fans who have come to love and respect an approach that seems more.... honest than just buying every free agent in sight, it causes something of a collective cognitive dissonance in the fan base. I mean, winning helps. In the case JC referenced re the English soccer club, Manchester City, the fans do feel like they've won the financial lottery, but the first spending sprees on behalf of the team left the fans feeling tawdry.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:46 pm 

There are options for baseball without moving to a salary cap. UEFA is in the process of implementing "Financial Fairplay Rules" across the continents soccer leagues, which operate sans cap. Time will tell how effective this will be, but I do think coupled with the home-grown player requirement (32% of roster must be players brought up from the club's own academy and been with the club for minimum 3 years), things will be much easier for the smaller clubs to compete without billionaire ownership.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:10 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

HIs name is Mark Cuban....he has tried already....dumbass nutting 8-) 8-) 8-)

You mean McClatchy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:53 am 

More on Nutting: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/3782 ... z2PmjraJub

Quote:
“There's no business with a completely level playing field,” Greenberg said. “(But) the days when any franchise was revenue-challenged are long over. There is so much revenue in baseball, not just at the local level but also national revenues that sustain every franchise as well as enormous amounts of revenue sharing.
“Every franchise has the ability to compete without losing money. It's just that some franchises have to be a little bit smarter, a little bit more savvy and a little bit luckier to maximize their opportunity. But that's true in most industries.”
After the 2009 season, I asked Nutting if he would consider adding a major investor — someone such as Mark Cuban. Nutting's answer was succinct: “We have sufficient resources.”