Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Streaming Audio
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:43 pm 

Anyone know a good place to listen to streaming audio of the Buccos for someone located here in Pittsburgh, without purchasing the gameday audio thing from MLB?

Post subject: Re: Streaming Audio
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:29 pm 

Major League Baseball doesn't want fans to hear or watch baseball for free. I haven't heard one Bucs radio broadcast since Lanny got the boot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:52 pm 

It's so stupid. I finally found a radio to borrow. I can sit here and listen to this broadcast on a radio, but can't listen to the same broadcast on my iPad or PC.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:44 pm 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:
It's so stupid. I finally found a radio to borrow. I can sit here and listen to this broadcast on a radio, but can't listen to the same broadcast on my iPad or PC.

It really is. No one knows how many people listen, or watch, a game over the free airwaves. But they know exactly how many people are streaming it digitally. And it's like they're afraid of the numbers. Same would go with watching a game on network on the net. Just don't understand the hesitation....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:50 pm 

Yeah, I'm screwed here in Central PA. I used to have it on in the car all the time. Haven't heard a broadcast in years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:03 pm 

As the MLB audio costs only $20 for the year - including Gameday - what is the problem?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:11 pm 

Bertie wrote:
As the MLB audio costs only $20 for the year - including Gameday - what is the problem?

Bertie -
You just beat me to it. I was looking at ticket prices for a comparison. A single lower OF box ticket costs $32. A single OF reserved seat costs $22. A deck ticket costs $20. For $20, you can listen to the audio of a Pirate broadcast on your computer, iPad, iPhone, Android device, etc. You can also listen to the broadcast of any other team.

Maybe because I think that the MLB.TV Premium Package is perhaps the greatest thing since sliced bread and would be willing to pay far more than $125 for it that I can't help but think that $20 for full access to MLB radio broadcasts is a bargain and a no brainer.

Hell, you can't subscribe to a quality newspaper or magazine for $20.

But that's just me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:02 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
Bertie wrote:

Bertie -
You just beat me to it. I was looking at ticket prices for a comparison. A single lower OF box ticket costs $32. A single OF reserved seat costs $22. A deck ticket costs $20. For $20, you can listen to the audio of a Pirate broadcast on your computer, iPad, iPhone, Android device, etc. You can also listen to the broadcast of any other team.

Maybe because I think that the MLB.TV Premium Package is perhaps the greatest thing since sliced bread and would be willing to pay far more than $125 for it that I can't help but think that $20 for full access to MLB radio broadcasts is a bargain and a no brainer.

Hell, you can't subscribe to a quality newspaper or magazine for $20.

But that's just me.

I had the audio package back when I was living in Chicago, and I loved it. You can't beat the price, and you can listen to any broadcast in baseball. Sometimes I liked to listen to the opponent's broadcast as a change of pace.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:12 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Sometimes I liked to listen to the opponent's broadcast as a change of pace.

I do the same.
I also fall asleep almost every night during baseball season listening to a West Coast broadcast of a game on my iPhone (yeah . . . true confession . . . I go to sleep with ear buds in). I particularly enjoy listening to Jon Miller.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:34 pm 

The point isn't the cost. It is that you can listen to the game for free on the radio, but can't listen to the same exact broadcast on an iPad. Makes no sense.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:50 am 

Okay- I thought it was around $100. Might consider that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:17 am 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:
The point isn't the cost. It is that you can listen to the game for free on the radio, but can't listen to the same exact broadcast on an iPad. Makes no sense.

The reason for that is advertising. Local advertisers pay set amounts for those spots and offering free streaming would basically be giving away air time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:05 pm 

Mister Pittsburgh wrote:

If you try to make sense of MLB operations, you will be tearing your hair out forever.... 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:15 am 

Our internet bill is already too high. My wife is the breadwinner.. she and the kid use our pc at night. Even if I had the MLB package I could only see weekday day games.

BarrysDopers makes a good point, but I can watch all NHL games for FREE.. all English Premier League matches.. all basketball, even Missouri State Bears games.

But the other day I couldn't even access the local 100,000 jiggawat Rush Limbaugh/Indians mothership via wifi for late breaking news about North Korea because it was blocked by MLB. And that was not during a game.

I also listen to my phone late at night, fall asleep listening to Anaheim Ducks or Vancouver Canucks.. can hear NO baseball.

Clint Barmes will earn $5 million this year and we have to pay to see him.. hear him play???

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:50 am 

I'm curious. How do you watch all those games for "free?" Are you watching them over the free airwaves?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:19 pm 

Ollie wrote:
My wife is the breadwinner.. she and the kid use our pc at night. Even if I had the MLB package I could only see weekday day games.

Then I guess it really doesn't matter whether the games are broadcast over the internet for free. Your access is blocked by other users whether the broadcasts are free or $20/year.

Ollie wrote:
Our internet bill is already too high.

Any data charges that you would incur for listening to games over the net would be an issue between you and your internet provider. If the games were broadcast "free" but you have to pay a data charge, that is not a MLB issue. Indeed, if you incur data charges for listening to games over the 'net and that is cost prohibitive, again . . . that's not an MLB issue. I don't pay any extra data charge for listening to games at home. I just pay a monthly internet fee.

I found this when doing a quick internet search (I googled "free baseball over internet"). I am not vouching for whether it will work and, frankly, I'm dubious . . . but I thought I'd share it and I hope that it works for you: http://www.freebaseballradio.com/ . I found one review of the website (from 2011) which suggested that it was a viable option for internet users. I'm curious to know whether it works and would appreciate a post sharing your experiences with that site.

BTW, the $19.99 MLB audio subscription will work over your phone as well. If you are looking for an alternate to the PC when your wife and child are using it, the phone works as a great transistor radio.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:34 pm 

Tried the http://www.freebaseballradio.com website to see if I could access a Cards/Reds broadcast on a "free" streaming station. As I anticipated, my efforts proved unsuccesful (mind you, I didn't try every listed link). Several sites had "no streaming of Reds/Cardinals game due to MLB restrictions" on the webpage.

Sorry Ollie, that doesn't look like it will help . . .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:41 am 

Thanks for looking into it, 9.

Yeah, "free" isn't the right word, but there is no fee to watch sports at atdee.net or livetv.ru/en (European sites.)
I use those two sites for NHL/college sports. I'd be happy as a clam if I could see the Pirates weekday day games on
those.

I don't have a job, get no allowance. I do get a very small sum every four months (a guy rents my family home
back in MO) but I use that to support my JPop addiction (Japanese CDs run about forty bucks now!! >_<)

So yeah, it's partly about priorities.. the Pirates are less important to me than my favorite JPop group, but my wife
HATES sports and thinks it's dumb to spend money on it so I don't bother asking (and SHE'S going to a Pirates
game next week.. how's that for friggin' irony. T-T)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:11 pm 

Ollie wrote:
Thanks for looking into it, 9.

Yeah, "free" isn't the right word, but there is no fee to watch sports at atdee.net or livetv.ru/en (European sites.)
I use those two sites for NHL/college sports. I'd be happy as a clam if I could see the Pirates weekday day games on
those.

I don't have a job, get no allowance. I do get a very small sum every four months (a guy rents my family home
back in MO) but I use that to support my JPop addiction (Japanese CDs run about forty bucks now!! >_<)

So yeah, it's partly about priorities.. the Pirates are less important to me than my favorite JPop group, but my wife
HATES sports and thinks it's dumb to spend money on it so I don't bother asking (and SHE'S going to a Pirates
game next week.. how's that for friggin' irony. T-T)

Hopefully, she will enjoy the experience so much that she will want to invest in the MLB.tv package! Spin it as an effort to support her employer since they are a Pirate sponsor . . .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:31 am 

I just dropped my wife off at work.. another gal, the Team leader, is driving her to Pittsburgh now. The team leader was excited to see my Pirates cap. She asked
"who should we cheer for during the game?" I said "Mc Cutchen # 22."

My wife doesn't know Mc Cutchen, doesn't know a hit from an out.. hopefully the other gal will explain it all to her. Their boss was going to give them money to
buy tickets but the team leader said "I have connections." So they don't have tickets.. does PNC Bank has a loge or something??