Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yates
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:11 pm 

Y'know...I've not been all that high on Yates...I do like his stuff, and I'm not necessarily saying we should not have gotten him, but I get the feeling he is prone to having a blow up in the near future.

In 16.1 innings, he has given up 11 hits and 15 walks, a WHIP of 1.59. Despite his great stuff, he only has 8K's.

Compare that to Meek, who we unanimously said was unreliable, who pitched 13 innings and gave up 11 hits and 12 walks, with 7K's.

The difference, of course, is that Meek's struggles took place in critical situations where he was the last guy out of the pen, and there was already the perception that he wasn't ready. I guess Yates' struggles just haven't been as noticeable. And, of course, 97mph can make you forget a poor showing, I guess.

Post subject: Re: Yates
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:06 am 

BBF wrote:
Y'know...I've not been all that high on Yates...I do like his stuff, and I'm not necessarily saying we should not have gotten him, but I get the feeling he is prone to having a blow up in the near future.

In 16.1 innings, he has given up 11 hits and 15 walks, a WHIP of 1.59. Despite his great stuff, he only has 8K's.

His control has always been the only thing keeping him from being a very, very good pitcher.

A lot of his walks, I will say, have been on pretty close pitches on 3-2 counts. He is around the plate much more than I would expect for a guy who walked 15 in less than 17 innings.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 1:16 pm 

It just amazes me that – as has been reported – Yates has had both Tommy John and rotator cuff surgery and still can bring it in the mid-90s.

Talk about bionic arms; he's carrying around the prototype.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:56 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
It just amazes me that – as has been reported – Yates has had both Tommy John and rotator cuff surgery and still can bring it in the mid-90s.

Talk about bionic arms; he's carrying around the prototype.

Unfortunately that bionic arm does not come with a scope. As much as Yates is around the plate, he's still not getting strikes, and that is a problem.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:40 pm 

Saturday's results are more along the lines of what we should be expecting from Yates, based on his peripherals. Osoria has been very good, as have both Grabow and Marte. Yates should not see the 8th or 9th for a long time.

As for the idea of using 2 lefties for setup men, I think that Grabow's changeup makes him every bit as effective against righties as a right handed set up man.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:52 am 
IF he can learn to throw consistent strikes, he'll be a force. I just hope that's possible with him.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:27 pm 

Yates is 32, I believe, so don't expect any dramatic improvements. He is what he is: a power arm with not much control. That's why he was available for so little.

He's hard to hit, but walks a lot of guys. Sometimes he will give up runs, other times he will shut them down.

I'm glad we have him, even though I wish we had better.