It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No.9 - This one is for you
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:07 pm 

Its been too quiet around here -

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/ma ... 14841.html

Post subject: Re: No.9 - This one is for you
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:14 pm 

I'm no fan of sacrifice bunting but I love bunting for a base hit. Especially with your leadoff man. And especially if you're from Canada and have a big lead. :o

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:50 pm 

That was a bit odd.

I know that some despise these seemingly endless "unwritten" rules, but really ... bunting when leading 10-3 in the 9th inning?

I did think that dealing one pitch close to the next hitter made the point, and they should have moved on after that. But the batter should not be bunting in that situation, IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:04 pm 

Partly due to the stupid rules about run differential being used as a tie breaker. Bud's Follies ...JMHO 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:10 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Partly due to the stupid rules about run differential being used as a tie breaker. Bud's Follies ...JMHO 8-)

You know what ... I forgot about that completely.

I thereby rescind my criticism. Hey, if the tournament is run like the stupid World Cup and run differential is a key issue - and it was in that game - then a team has to do what a team has to do.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:05 am 

I wasn't aware of that either until my son-in-law told me about that yesterday. It put the whole thing in a different light. Someone apparently forgot to tell the Mexican players this rule, or they would not have gotten so mad. Lots of current or former Bucs involved in that scrum. Luis Cruz and Oliver Perez for Mexico, Chris Leroux for Canada. Jameson Taillon was nowhere to be found, thank God.

And yeah, I thought one buzzing of the tower would send the message. I guess it took him 3 tries to hit him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:24 am 

I have no problem with the bunt there even if there was no run-differential rule. Why is bunting for a base hit so different from swinging for a base hit? The defense should have to defend the entire field at all times.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:19 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Ralphie wrote:
I have no problem with the bunt there even if there was no run-differential rule. Why is bunting for a base hit so different from swinging for a base hit? The defense should have to defend the entire field at all times.

I hate many of baseball's unwritten rules. I really do.

EDIT: Just recently I was reading about Valdespin getting hit in...well, as he so eloquently put it, "my dick", and I saw something that made me bookmark the page. Because I wanted to write a blog post about it.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/plu ... KWmHIfbmyN

Quote:
Collins has told Valdespin this spring to eliminate some of his antics, warning that he might become a target for pitchers. One such warning came two weeks ago after Valdespin faked a bunt leading off a game against Nationals ace Stephen Strasburg. In the same at-bat, Valdespin singled and received a glare from Strasburg as he ran to first base.

“We’re going to settle some of that stuff down,” Collins said. “[Valdespin] has been told a lot in the last couple of years about how to handle himself on the major league field, especially when you are a young player. He understands it, he’s adjusting to it and once in a while you always get caught up in the moment.

Why is that a problem? Why can't you do that?